Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Afib and rapid HR

Posted by JDfiB 
Afib and rapid HR
May 05, 2020 09:23PM
I am always wanting to learn about what is going on with different ways people experience Afib. Whenever I have an event it always begins with the irregular rhythm and then when it goes back to rhythm it is always a very rapid beat. There is no set time for each. Is this a typical way of a lot of typical ways or am I experiencing something else? I know there are many very detailed questions here and I appreciate them but sometimes the simple ones are important as well.. Not that any of this is simple. Thanks
Re: Afib and rapid HR
May 05, 2020 10:19PM
A fast, but regular, rate immediately upon converting from AF is quite normal. The atria are still a bit “stunned” from the arrhythmia and take a few hours to get back to business as usual.
May 05, 2020 10:28PM
JDfiB
I am always wanting to learn about what is going on with different ways people experience Afib. Whenever I have an event it always begins with the irregular rhythm and then when it goes back to rhythm it is always a very rapid beat. There is no set time for each. Is this a typical way of a lot of typical ways or am I experiencing something else? I know there are many very detailed questions here and I appreciate them but sometimes the simple ones are important as well.. Not that any of this is simple. Thanks

For nearly 15.5 years, I've converted my episodes with PIP flecainide. Before that, I don't remember the rates. With flec, for me, the afib will typically convert to a rate in the 90's and then declines over time to normal (which is in the 50's for me). I can't say that it isn't atrial flutter that then converts to NSR. Hard to say on my Kardia, though it thinks it is NSR after the conversion.
May 06, 2020 11:11AM
My afib episodes tend to be mild 70 bpm irregular. I take 12 mg metoprolol and 100 mg flecainide right away, and it converts in about 1 to 1.5 hours - converts to my regular but slow 44 bpm. Most of the time I get episodes in the middle of the night and go back to sleep after I take PIP, but last night I got one in the evening and had a mini-blackout upon converting-- with my pulse sound zinging in my ears for a minute or so. That was a weird one.

Calli
May 06, 2020 02:05PM
I have frequent short (less than 2h) episodes, that self convert without meds. AVG rate in afib is 115-130 bpm.
I clearly feel when my HR goes back to NSR. It's always around 70 BPM, quickly returning around 60.
May 12, 2020 02:57PM
In the beginning and early period of my afib episodes, my conversions back to NSR were preceded by a calming of my irregular rhythm which converted to NSR at about 60 BPM. My resting BPM is usually in the low 50's. More recently however a new pattern has developed where my now more typical 120 BPM AFIB might oscillate to what feels like a rapid,90 BPM,NSR and then back to AFIB. The rapid NSR still produces an AFIB-like sensation, i.e., not pleasant. Finally conversion to a normal-feel NSR is from the unpleasant rapid NSR to a more relaxed NSR slowing to my more normal BPM over the course of a few minutes.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login