Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

My Consultation today

Posted by Elizabeth 
My Consultation today
March 03, 2020 09:16PM
I met with the NP from my EPs office for a consultation. I went over the 2 drugs Tikosyn and Flec., she said that Tikosyn is the better drug to hopefully convert me, of course it means a hospital stay and If I don't convert with the drug then they will cardiovert me. So, I said I didn't want to do that right now because of the Coronavirus, I said I would wait until the middle of April, they will let me know the time/date. So, that is that.

If I don't convert to NSR, then I will just take the blood thinner, as this afib isn't affecting me very much, it surprises me that I don't feel it, my heart rate isn't high (60s), and remain as I am. So then, the only drugs I will have to take is my thyroid drug and the blood thinner.

Liz
Re: My Consultation today
March 04, 2020 03:27AM
Sounds reasonable Liz given your age and that your AF is pretty much asymptomatic. My mother was very symptomatic at first (in her mid-30s) but this eased to the point where when she went permanent aged 70 she could barely feel it. As such, she chose to remain off drugs except for AC. She passed aged 80 of nothing heart-related after she took a really bad fall and ended up with a severe intracranial haematoma from which she didn't recover.
March 04, 2020 10:37AM
I agree with mwcf. If I were asymptomatic with a heart rate in the 60s I wouldn't do anything more than the anticoagulant.
March 04, 2020 01:55PM
I am not completely asymptomatic, walking a lot, going up stairs I do puff (which I never did). I also am not doing all the work that I will be doing when the weather warms up (Gardening, lawn etc.) . But, hopefully I will convert on Tikosyn/cardiovertion, I will give it a try.

Mwcf:

Perhaps if your mother wasn't on a blood thinner she wouldn't have gotten that Haematoma. don't know just asking.

L
March 05, 2020 06:12PM
Why did they say Tikosyn was better for you if you want to share for education? Flecainide is welll tolerated and usualy does not require a hosptial stay. Many can convert from 1 pill of 100mg depending up to 300mg if I recall. Before my afib became basically permanent it always converted me well and kept me in rhythm for a year with little drama.

Eventually it lost its abaility to help as I progressed and Tikosyn did not work either, Tikosyn was my last ditch effort after 3 failed ablations, finally #4 (and 1st with Natale) solved it all and no drugs since (2.5 yrs.).
March 05, 2020 07:09PM
Fib

I was told in their experience Tioksyn did a better job of keeping their patients in NSR. This is from the U of Michigan hospital. I will see if it converts me and for how long.

Glad you are in rhythm, great that we have Dr. Natale.

L
March 05, 2020 09:57PM
Fibrillator
Flecainide is welll tolerated and usualy does not require a hosptial stay. Many can convert from 1 pill of 100mg depending up to 300mg if I recall. .

Just a safety note here. The max dose is 200 mg/day if you are under 154#'s (70 Kg) and 300 mg/day if you are over. I know Susan.d had a huge issue with this when doc told her to go to 300 mg and she only weighs in the 120's #'s. It was toxic for her.
March 06, 2020 12:03AM
GeorgeN

Flecainide is welll tolerated and usualy does not require a hosptial stay. Many can convert from 1 pill of 100mg depending up to 300mg if I recall. .

Just a safety note here. The max dose is 200 mg/day if you are under 154#'s (70 Kg) and 300 mg/day if you are over. I know Susan.d had a huge issue with this when doc told her to go to 300 mg and she only weighs in the 120's #'s. It was toxic for her.

I repeat this story when those post they want to take up to 300mg —pill in the pocket self dosing. I just want to warn them about the weight/dosing. I wish I knew the maximum dosage beforehand or better yet for the EP who convinced a 122# woman to try 300 mg for 5 days.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login