Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

CoQ10 excitatory?

Posted by Carola 
CoQ10 excitatory?
February 10, 2020 07:35PM
I took 60 mg. CoQ10 last night because taking Metoprolol and other beta-blockers are known to cause muscle weakness and pain - which I often have in my thighs, knees and hips. .

However, I barely slept last night because my heart was so irritated - probably constant atrial flutter.

Have any of you tried CoQ10 ? Should I take 30 mg.?

Carol
Re: CoQ10 excitatory?
February 10, 2020 08:02PM
I have tried it numerous times. Each time I isolated for the CoQ10 and took no other supplements. After a couple of days on separate occasions I went into fib. For me the supplement works to rev me up but unfortunately my heart too...
February 10, 2020 08:55PM
CoQ10 is no substitute for metoprolol. It won't do the same job at all, so that's probably why you had a miserable night. I would go back to the metoprolol.

Not sure why you think metoprolol causes muscle weakness and pain. It doesn't. It can cause general fatigue, but not muscle weakness and definitely not pain.
February 10, 2020 09:31PM
Carola
Have any of you tried CoQ10 ? Should I take 30 mg.?

I've taken 100-200 mg of Ubiquinol/day (a reduced form of CoQ10) for years. I've never observed any impact on my afib, positive or negative.
February 11, 2020 05:02AM
CoQ10 is palpitation trigger for me but it depends on my general health condition. If I am relaxed and far from stress I can tolerate a small dose otherwise ectopics will bother me after a bigger dose like 100 or 120 mg.

Ben
February 11, 2020 08:24AM
Carey,

I didn't mean to imply that I had taken CoQ10 as a substitute for Metoprolol.

Because beta blockers deplete muscular energy and strength and can cause muscle pain, CoQ10 is recommended to counteract the condition.

Carol
February 11, 2020 10:48AM
Carey,

"Beta-adrenergic blockers deplete CoQ10 by interfering with the production of this essential enzyme for energy production...By blocking beta receptors, these drugs may inhibit the release of the enzyme serotonin-N-acetyltransferase, which is necessary for the synthesis of melatonin, resulting in sleep disturbance. "

(From a Google Search)

I read somewhere (Dr. Sinatra?) that anyone taking a beta-blocker should take CoQ10.

Carol
February 11, 2020 10:52AM
Carola
Because beta blockers deplete muscular energy and strength and can cause muscle pain

What beta blockers do is block the effects of adrenaline. That can cause fatigue, which might feel like muscle weakness to you, but if you're experiencing muscle pain, there is another cause. It's not the beta blocker.
October 21, 2020 04:22PM
I don't see any thing here

[pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login