Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Carvedilol (Coreg) for blood pressure control

Posted by Carola 
Carvedilol (Coreg) for blood pressure control
January 28, 2020 05:24PM
I have been taking Carvedilol to control BP for several years. I now think that it is causing seriously painful knee/ hip and thigh muscle pain and weakness. It comes and goes, possibly according to the dose circulating in my body at any given time. There are times when I can hardly get up the stairs, I am forced to use a cane, and often wake me up from severe pain at night.

I found a web site (Sharon Orrange, MD., internist and gerontologist )that lists "10 Common Medications that Cause Joint Pain" ...and Carvedilol is one of them:
"joint aches and back pain are reported in almost 6% of patients taking it. "

I also found a web site that says not to take Coreg if you have thyroid problems. (I have Hashimoto's Thyroiditis).

A Consumer Reports Health magazine promotional flyer reports:
"Side Effects from drugs always occur within hours or days, right? Wrong. Sometimes you can develop side effects after you've been taking a drug for months, even years! Her's why: Age-related changes in your metabolism may keep drugs in your system longer as you get older, which can raise your risk of side effects. An unexplained stomach upset, pain, drowsiness, confusion, sleepiness, skin irritation, and even falls, may be caused by a drugs that you've been taking for years...

None of these issues has been addressed by my cardiologist or internist.

The problem is compounded because I have not been able to tolerate any of the other BP drugs.

Have any of you had arthritic -type pain from taking Coreg short or long term?

Carol
Re: Carvedilol (Coreg) for blood pressure control
January 28, 2020 06:01PM
Drugs.com puts the incidence of musculoskeletal pain at upwards of 10% so I don't think it matters much if anyone else here has experienced it. It's a real possibility.

There are a LOT of BP meds. What else has been tried? It could also be your dosage needs to be adjusted downward to compensate for aging.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login