Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Prolon / Fasting Mimicking Diet and AFib

Posted by MarkF786 
Prolon / Fasting Mimicking Diet and AFib
January 24, 2020 07:19AM
Has anyone here tried Prolon or another Fasting Mimicking Diet? How was it with you afib?

I'm about to start a Prolon 5 day fast, and have a mild concern about my afib. Often, when I start a keto diet, it'll trigger afib during the induction phase (and I'll increase my potassium to try avoiding it), so potentially something similar may happen with fasting - though I've already been on a keto diet for a few weeks, so maybe the fasting won't trigger as much of an imbalance in my electrolytes, and thus afib.

I'm curious other's experience.

Thanks,

Mark
Re: Prolon / Fasting Mimicking Diet and AFib
January 24, 2020 08:05AM
MarkF786
Has anyone here tried Prolon or another Fasting Mimicking Diet? How was it with you afib?

I'm about to start a Prolon 5 day fast, and have a mild concern about my afib. Often, when I start a keto diet, it'll trigger afib during the induction phase (and I'll increase my potassium to try avoiding it), so potentially something similar may happen with fasting - though I've already been on a keto diet for a few weeks, so maybe the fasting won't trigger as much of an imbalance in my electrolytes, and thus afib.

I'm curious other's experience.

Thanks,

Mark

Not done it, but am familiar with Longo's work. Prolon is actually fairly carby from a macros perspective, so may not have as much of an effect, though the hypocaloric nature may still have the electrolyte shift. When I first did induction 10+ years ago, I supplemented heavily with potassium and also with magnesium and still got an afib episode. I've remained keto adapted since and never had a repeat, even doing many 5-7 day water fasts. Two things I've learned are that 1) sodium supplementation may be important, too, as the dumpling of sodium in urine cause by low insulin may drive low potassium, 2) excess potassium gets urinated very quickly. The latter meaning that need to supplement potassium over time. What I've done is add 2 tsp of potassium citrate powder to a liter of water and drink over the day, I also put 1/2 tsp of table salt. This would give about 4 g potassium and 1 gram sodium, which is theoretically the ratio of these elements on intake in paleo times.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login