Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Cryoballoon Ablation

Posted by cirenepurzalot 
Cryoballoon Ablation
January 21, 2020 11:41AM
Has anyone heard of this type of "innovative" ablation, which uses cold, not heat?

[www.beckershospitalreview.com]

[www.stopafib.org]

In terms of the outcome, what we have seen is that the patients actually are recovering faster, and the healing process is quicker from the initial ablation, and the safety profile is definitely much improved compared to our prior experience.

Just curious as to your thoughts and experiences?

Thanks!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/21/2020 11:43AM by cirenepurzalot.
Re: Cryoballoon Ablation
January 21, 2020 01:40PM
I actually work for a hospital system in St. Louis, and the top EP guy here (the EP that did my procedure) requested this product be added to the arsenal of options. I sit on the group that approves and denies these requests. Anyway, we approved the Arctic FRont cryo ablloon for a six month pilot, and I remember going in to see him a few weeks after the conclusion of the pilot and he said (I'm paraphrasing) that he likes the idea of the cryo approach, but it's very limiting. It can only be used to do the large pulmonary vein region, and any smaller work he does still needs RF. He said RF has improved in the last few years and is much better and has no longer term disadvantages over the cryo. When the pilot was over, he didn't push to keep the cryo. This is just what I heard from one very experienced and respected EP here in St. Louis.
Ken
January 21, 2020 02:03PM
It's not that new. I was offered it 13 years ago as part of a study, but went for the more standard RF ablation.
January 21, 2020 02:29PM
Thanks for your input! I appreciate it.
January 21, 2020 02:51PM
Ken
It's not that new. I was offered it 13 years ago as part of a study, but went for the more standard RF ablation.

Very true. It's been around a long time. It made a recent resurgence, but RF seems to still be the gold standard.
January 21, 2020 02:58PM
Yeah, cryo definitely isn't new and everything Keefer said about it is true. Its primary advantage is it makes doing an ablation easy, so EPs with less training and experience can do them. That's not the sort of thing I would look for as a patient.
January 22, 2020 03:31AM
My PVI was done with a cryoballoon. When I had my touch-up (RF of course), the EP (a more experienced guy) had to ablate 1 reconnected PV. He said it was frequent after a cryoablation.
January 22, 2020 09:22PM
Cryo is inferior to RF. It’s used because it gets more operators trained more quickly.

If you have the option, seek better for yourself.
January 23, 2020 08:38AM
Very informative! Thank you so much.

I hope that they will keep progressing the technology so it's less and less invasive, less recovery time, higher success, etc.... I'll wait as long as possible. winking smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login