Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Kardia choice

Posted by windyshores 
Kardia choice
December 23, 2019 01:42PM
There seem to be differering opinions on this. Kardia 1 or 6 lead? Thanks! (I have paroxysmal afib with tachycardia)
Re: Kardia choice
December 23, 2019 05:17PM
Unless you have heart disease or another arrhythmia in addition to the afib, the 6-lead isn't going to tell you anything the single-lead doesn't. I wouldn't spend the extra $50 unless I had something more than paroxysmal afib going on.
December 23, 2019 06:30PM
Carey, it’s an investment for life, wouldn’t a 6 lead be worth getting? It’s like buying a new phone...better to get more gb right off the start than getting the lowest 64gb thinking you will never use it up. IMHO.
December 23, 2019 06:36PM
The 6L also functions as a single lead. I would say it’s biggest advantage is that it connects to the mobile device using Bluetooth (wireless) as opposed to the microphone, so I would guess the 6L functions better in a noisy environment.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/23/2019 06:37PM by wolfpack.
December 24, 2019 06:37AM
How does the microphone work? Does the microphone pick up the heart beat? Sorry, I do not know much about these devices.

I have an old iPhone but I did look up compatibility and it is okay.

If the Kardia 1 is easier to use, I might prefer it. I mainly need to know if I am having afib and how fast the heart rate is. I believe on one med I had a prolonged QT interval. But otherwise no other heart issues.
December 24, 2019 09:52AM
windyshores
How does the microphone work? Does the microphone pick up the heart beat? Sorry, I do not know much about these devices.

The Kardia 1 device uses sound (rather than radio - bluetooth - which the Kardia 6 lead uses) to transmit the information to the iPhone (or other smartphone). For example, if you have a headset plugged in, so the phone's microphone is disconnected, it won't work. It works best if you put the bottom of the phone (where the mic is) close to the Kardia. The Kardia compatibility list is here. Note that an iPhone 5 and 5c are compatible with the 1 but not the 6.

George
December 24, 2019 02:59PM
I ordered the 6L. My phone is an SE. I had a moment there when I thought it was a 5.

In general I do prefer older,simpler products but in this case, it looks like I can use the 6L in the same way as the 1 but if needed can do more. I read that the 6L may be more accurate but not sure.

(Then again, I know you can also use the 1 as a 2 lead....)

Thanks!
December 24, 2019 05:23PM
The 6L you don’t have to position your phone very close to your knee or ankle...just Bluetooth close. I have it 5-10 feet from me. I read with the microphone one lead you need it close..and with the 6 you place 3/4” below your knee or ankle on skin so there is skin contact plus both of your thumbs.

My cardiologist has all his patients buy the kardia6 and BP cup as part of his Kardia program. I save by having free monitoring from Kardia (?$10/month) where I can save all of my strips, view and produce a 30 day report PDF file to share.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login