Welcome to the Afibber’s Forum
Serving Afibbers worldwide since 1999
Moderated by Shannon and Carey

Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Against some law to take a cell pic of my EKG 12-lead readout?

Posted by SueChef 
Against some law to take a cell pic of my EKG 12-lead readout?
July 24, 2019 02:43AM
My EP ordered an EKG to be given to me three days after I started Flecainide, so today (Tues) was that day for my having an EKG.

When it was done, I asked to see the readout and I was shown it, then I said I'd like to take a picture of it with my cell phone.

The Tech said I am not permitted to do that. I asked why not, it was my EKG. She said something about not having permission. I said I'm giving permission for me to take a picture of my EKG, so I'm not sure about what the problem was. She said I couldn't do that, some policy, yada yada yada, and said I'd need to request it. I said I'm requesting it now and giving myself permission to take the picture. Nope, she said something about "policy" but she sounded unsure as to what that policy actually is, so I dropped the issue.

Could any one enlighten me about this (above)?

Also, in the Notes of my medical records, accessed online and from my recent EP visit last week, my EP wrote: "It is possible that atrial fibrillation occurred secondary to supraventricular tachycardia."

My a-fib episode was July 23, 2017 and resulted in an overnight in the hospital. I realize he used the word possible, but how could A-fib, which occurred two years ago, occur secondary to SVT? Wouldn't the A-fib *not* occur secondary to SVT, when I have no history of SVT? I admit I haven't a clue, so thankfully, I am able to come here and ask.

Thank you!!!!
Re: Against some law to take a cell pic of my EKG 12-lead readout?
July 24, 2019 04:08AM
I have never tried to take a picture of an EKG, but on at least 40 occasions I have asked to either see the EKG, or for my own paper copy of my EKG. Sometimes the Tech's make a 2nd copy right then and just give it to me, but most of the time, they say something like "The Dr. needs to read it first", or that "I need to request this from the Nurse/Doctor". The usually come back after several minutes with my own copy. Sometimes they get distracted and I have to request it again.
Also my EKG's are always included if I make a formal records request.

Part of it is probably not wanting the Patient to freak out, or mis-interpret the results. Many times the machine generated diagnoses are wrong at the top of an EKG printout. Several weeks ago, my EKG said "Inferior Infarction" which was false.
July 24, 2019 06:40AM
It's common use here in Belgium. The tech just let me take a look at the printout, if I ask to, and the cardiologist or EP gives me my copy.
It's likely for the reasons explained here above by the previous poster.
July 24, 2019 08:42AM
I’ve always just asked for a copy and they usually just print it out for me right there. You should be cautious though as many printouts spit out diagnostics which my ep has always said I should ignore.
July 24, 2019 10:35AM
The tech is over-interpreting a policy. There probably is a policy prohibiting photos of medical records, but the intent of that is simply to make sure uncontrolled copies of records don't end up in hands they shouldn't. But that ECG is your data, and you can take photos of it, or even post it publicly on the internet if you want. Federal law in the US guarantees that (it's part of HIPAA). Just roll your eyes at the tech and tell them to go find something useful to do.

What your EP's note probably meant is he's questioning whether your afib began as a bout of SVT. That's actually pretty common. I had a mix of flutter (a type of SVT) and afib, and one would trigger the other. An episode would begin with flutter and then within seconds transition to afib -- and vice versa. It's not really much of an alarming or mysterious thing for him to write. Flutter and afib often go hand in hand.
July 24, 2019 04:05PM
The tech did let me *look* at the EKG paper, with all the spikes and stuff. The page did not have any machine generated diagnosis on it.

Carey, I had no idea that my fib could have begun as a bout of SVT as I stayed in a-fib for what seemed like hours as they tried to convert me with a calcium channel blocker, and then a beta blocker (the latter worked). Your explanation clarified things. Thanks!

Thanks everyone!
Sue
July 25, 2019 09:15AM
In UK I always asked the technician for a copy of my ECG. S/he would print 2 copies and put them in the file. When I saw the EP s/he would give me one, never a problem.

Gill
July 26, 2019 12:00AM
Your records are yours. You own them, by law. Just remind folks of that. With tact, of course.
August 01, 2019 12:37AM
+1 @ Wolfpack.

/L
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login