Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Crestor and losartan

Posted by tsco 
Crestor and losartan
July 17, 2019 11:14PM
Hi friends, the family doc feels I'm at the age me it's time to address my BP and cholesterol. I've always been borderline BP I stay about 10 points too high top and bottom averaging about 140/90. Cholesterol about 275 bad cholesterol 170. So he has prescribed losartan for BP 50 mg which I will prob cut in half. Not too concerned there but the generic Crestor is rosuvastatin calcium tablets. Of course the word calcium triggers a reaction. Should I be cautious of these? It's inly 5 mg but are these something as an afibbers maybe I should avoid??
Thanks
Tim
Joe
Re: Crestor and losartan
July 18, 2019 06:35PM
I think Dr. Ford Brewer takes 2.5mg Crestor 3x/week - mainly to keep inflammation down and not progress his pre diabetes (statins are often said to do that?)
He also says that triglyceride - HDL ratios are more telling (as well as lp B,A and the size of LDL)
Not medical advise!
July 18, 2019 07:06PM
Just because something has a calcium atom in the formula doesn't mean you're taking a calcium supplement. You're not, so no worries there.

140/90 is more than just time to address your BP. That's stage 2 hypertension and should be treated with two meds according to current hypertension guidelines. Never mind calcium and all that, hypertension is your biggest enemy when it comes to afib because there's a direct causative link between the two:

Hypertension --> atrial stretch --> fibrosis --> afib

If I were you I wouldn't be cutting the losartan in half. In fact, I'll be surprised if 50 mg of losartan brings it down far enough all by itself. If you went to my EP, he would insist on getting your BP down at least under 130/80, and preferably under 120/80.
July 18, 2019 10:08PM
Thanks Carey appreciate your knowledge and advice
Tim
July 18, 2019 10:10PM
Thanks Joe
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login