Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Getting close to ablation date

Posted by libby 
Getting close to ablation date
March 15, 2018 11:22PM
Hi all!
My ablation is in less than 2 months. I've been looking at places to stay in Austin and found a cute Airbnb. It's above a garage so there are steps. Is that a problem after the ablation? I'm guessing I need to be careful but is that a bad idea? I am a bit worried about not being on meds and possibly needing an ambulance. Please advise.
Thanks!!
Libby
Re: Getting close to ablation date
March 16, 2018 12:00AM
No steps would be better just for your own comfort but steps aren't really a problem as long as it's just a flight or two.

There's absolutely no reason to think you might need an ambulance. I don't know why you think that could be a possibility but it's extremely unlikely. Getting off the meds is whole point of the ablation, after all. Have confidence you're in good hands. :-)

In any case, in the extremely unlikely event that you did need an ambulance, stairs are no issue at all for the EMTs. They deal with stairs day in and day out.
March 16, 2018 12:32AM
I know that for me the day after my Dr. Natale ablation I felt like I had been hit by a bus. I shuffled around like a 95 year old man. If I had to do stairs, I would have had to go up three stairs, slowly, rest, and go three more, etc. By two days later I could have done the stairs you mention, and by four or five days later I was pushing a full shopping cart at Costco. And those are big carts!

But I had a complex, four hour ablation. I don't know your situation. I was grateful that I was staying in a hotel in San Francisco with elevators.
March 16, 2018 07:13AM
Thanks everyone!
Re the ambulance: I'm just worried about going into a rapid rate pre-procedure, without the drugs. It won't take long!
March 16, 2018 08:49AM
The day after my procedure I walked back to my hotel room. I will say I was a bit nervous and felt a bit sore but I did it.
March 16, 2018 10:16AM
libby
Thanks everyone!
Re the ambulance: I'm just worried about going into a rapid rate pre-procedure, without the drugs. It won't take long!

Then maybe reconsider the airbnb and just get a room at the Days Inn right next to St. David's. It's an easy walk to the hospital.
March 18, 2018 04:05PM
Thanks everyone!! It sure is comforting to have someone to talk to that understands.
March 18, 2018 10:38PM
I would consider a hotel. We stayed at the Hyatt Place in North Austin and the next day it was quite a chore to walk the small incline up to the hotel. Also, if there is a need for anything, the hotel staff is available to help you. Not so if you're in a rental place. All the best.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login