Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Upcoming Cyro Ablation Dec 22nd, 2017

Posted by hosta123 
Upcoming Cyro Ablation Dec 22nd, 2017
December 17, 2017 09:18AM
Hi everyone. I am new to this forum and created a new topic as I haven't been able to locate specific answers to my questions. I will try to be brief and concise with history and questions. FYI, I am a 60 year old female. I own 2 businesses and have always had a very busy life. I have always been healthy, great immune system, rarely sick in any way.

1. 7 years ago I was diagnosed with Paraoxysmal AFib. As episodes were infrequent, I took Flecanide as a pill in the pocket for many years, and occurences were rare.

Last spring, I experienced a very bad episode, (189 heart rate and 40% fracture rate) and was hospitlized for 6 days. (Maybe onset caused by stress?) They converted me with meds during my stay, and was sent home on Amiodarone, Coureg, and Eliquis. I really prefer a natural approach to dealing with health issues, and I was very upset that I had to take these to control my AFib. I asked to be taken off Amiodarone after a short time, because it is so toxic, and was placed on 100mg of Flecanide. During breakthrough episodes, I would use Ease Mag spray, do deep breathing and drink tons of water. It helped a little. Due to several episodes occuring on the Flecanide and am now back on 400 mg of Amiodarone. Sadly, It seems to be so much more effective than anything else and is has controlled it for the most part.

While I have always felt healthy, this experience revealed many more issues through CT scans (thyroid nodules, lung nodules) all biopsied, all benign, praise the Lord! It has been many months of various tests and biopsies, last month a collapsed lung when doing the biospy. I feel I have been through the wringer, but since all testing has ruled out any other health issues, I am hoping the ablation will restore help my life and get off meds.

Question regarding the meds: Has anyone had shortness of breath while on these meds while in NSR? I will climb 4 stairs and be out of breath. I am assuming this is due to beta blocker prohibiting exertion. Have you noticed an overall mood change while on these?

I feel that I have had a huge change in my overall mental outlook-like I am just enduring and surviving life. No ambition-just go to work and go home. Nothing else. No social life-have no energy to do anything extra.
My big questions is: If you have experienced the above, had an albation and are off meds, did this change for you? I read many posts where people say they "got their life back". Boy, do I need mine back!!!

My ablation is scheduled next Friday. I have to say, I am very nervous about going through this procedure. I have read countless accounts by people who say their first has worked very well for them, and many say they have had more than one. I would love to hear from any of you regarding your experience, as well as post ablation-especially in the 1st few days after the procedure.

Thank you in advance for your responses!
Re: Upcoming Cyro Ablation Dec 22nd, 2017
December 17, 2017 12:33PM
The Coreg made me sluggish and a feeling sort of a malaise. Somewhat confused on how I felt about doing stuff, it changed my energy. I did better switching to a different type of Beta-Blocker called Bystolic. This is a Cardio-selective Beta-Blocker, that doesn't effect the rest of the Body as much. Also your dose may be too high. My Doc kept wanting me too take more Coreg because it helps with Heart Contractibility, but he wouldn't really listen about the side effects.
December 17, 2017 12:44PM
Thank you for your reply. I too feel sluggish and non-caring about most tasks. Just wondering-did you have an ablation and off meds, or are you still on them? If off, did anything change for the better?
Thanks-Mary
December 17, 2017 04:24PM
All beta blockers make me feel like someone has tied bowling balls to my arms and legs. Normally, I'm an avid cyclist and going out for a 50-mile ride in hilly terrain is no big deal for me, but it becomes pretty much impossible on beta blockers. They basically just suck the life right out of me and I know I'm not alone in that reaction. You might ask about switching to a calcium channel blocker. They tend to have less of a fatigue effect.
December 17, 2017 08:50PM
I mentioned the Bystolic, actually when I have an episode, I take the Bystolic in combination with a Calcium Channel Blocker called Diltiazem. I get almost no sedative effect from this combination, and I exercise 1.5 to 2 hours/day.

I only take the Meds when I have an Episode, otherwise I just take Mg supplements. I never got an Ablation. My case is unusual so I don't post much about it. I did have to get over two dozen Cardioversions over the past 9 years to keep in NSR. I was in undiagnosed AFIB for 6 months to year, as my AFIB rate wasn't that high that the Doctors didn't notice the AFIB. As I started seeking treatment, My Doctors at the time were skeptical of Ablation, and I had a gut feeling there was something to figure out. So I just started getting ECV's to get back in NSR, and then tried to figure things out. I found out that Mg helped greatly, as I was over-hydrating and flushing hormones and electrolytes out of my body, and the Mg helps with electrolyte homeostasis in the Heart. Later I found out that withdrawal from Anti-inflammatory Medications were a trigger for me. Anyway I am up to 10 months NSR with no Meds this time around. I have found that if I can control my AF rate, and get it down close to my normal NSR rate with the right combo of Bystolic and Diltiazem, that side effects from the AF are minimal. Therefore I can live with a few episodes, and I am not afraid of my AF, because I survived up to a year in AF without getting treated.

Also being in good Cardiovascular shape contributed to my misdiagnosis. 10 years ago, My resting NSR rate was down in the low 50's, then when I went into AF, I went up to a HR of 80-85. Now when the Docs and Nurses checked my pulse, they thought it was normal.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/17/2017 09:15PM by The Anti-Fib.
December 18, 2017 02:52PM
After living with infrequent afib for 10 years, I suddenly started having occurrences much more frequently. This finally took my afib despondency to a high enough level that I finally opted to go ahead with an ablation last April. It has truly been a "life changer" for me. My doctor, Dr. Ghia, in Seattle was so efficient and caring in explaining and performing the procedure that it was way less traumatic for me than a root canal I had a while back. I stopped taking extended release Diltiazem which was the only med I had ever been on and the almost daily afibs stopped immediately. Dr. Ghia says I might still have an occurrence "down the road" but so far have not had one single afib. After years of living with the unknowns of afib, I still have thoughts of when my next attack will be, but they are diminishing as time goes on and I do feel like I have gotten my life back.
December 19, 2017 11:27AM
I had TERRIBLE shortness of breath with Amioderone. It stopped the afib from recurring after cardioversion but it made my life terrible. I’m very active and run 12-16 miles a week. On amioderone, I couldn’t even climb a flight of stairs much less run without gasping like a fish! Stopped it and that side effect took about 3 weeks to go away.
Just had a cryo ablation 10 days ago. It was much harder than I thought it would be and of course it’s still yet to be seen if it was successful.
I am a 56 yo female who has had off and on afib for about 4 years and did not take anything during that time other than a baby aspirin and diltiazem.
Afib and the fast heart rate (180bpm) during afib never really bothered me. I think it bothers some people more than others.
The ablation: it took 4 hours. The worst part for me as a female was not being allowed to get up and use the bathroom to urinate for SIX hours post ablation. Do you know how hard it is for a female to use a bedpan lying down???? It’s an ugly experience. Had an uneventful overnight hospital stay. Took it easy when I went home the following day. Very sore and bruised is the groin area. Terrible sore throat from the anesthesia tube. Back walking for exercise after day 3.
Dr won’t let me run until 2 weeks post but I feel good enough to.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/19/2017 11:33AM by Catfight23.
December 19, 2017 08:34PM
Catfight23
The ablation: it took 4 hours. The worst part for me as a female was not being allowed to get up and use the bathroom to urinate for SIX hours post ablation.

And worse yet, they typically fill you with fluids during an ablation so needing to pee is guaranteed. If you ever find yourself in that situation again, just tell them you don't want the Foley catheter removed until you're allowed out of bed. That will completely prevent the problem you experienced. I really can't imagine why they removed it before then.
December 20, 2017 07:31AM
Thank you for your reply regarding Amiodarone. I thought I was alone in experiencing shortness of breath, or that it was caused by something else. I will be very relieved to get off the meds.
Could you please tell me what drugs you are on now post ablation?

Could you tell me how they kept your leg still for those 6 hours? Weighted down...strapped to bed? Silly question I know, but am claustrophobic and like to prepare myself for what may occur.
I hope everything continues to go well for you. Please provide updates if you can.
Thank you!
December 20, 2017 07:35AM
Thank you for sharing your experience. It's good to hear positive stories regarding alation. Mine is in 2 days. I am nervous but trying to be positive that the outcome will be successful.
Thank you!
Mary

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/20/2017 07:36AM by hosta123.
December 20, 2017 07:38AM
Thank you for the tip on asking to leave the catheter in. I despise them, but under the circumstances, it would be beneficial.
Mary
December 21, 2017 08:43PM
Nobody likes a Foley catheter, but after an ablation they're your best friend for six hours.
January 01, 2018 09:42PM
I am just seeing this and I'm sure you've already had your ablation but I will go ahead and answer just in case.
No weights on your groin like they apparently used to do. They told me they use 200lbs of human pressure while you're still asleep. No straps or restraints. Just strict instructions not to move at all. Not even lifting your head. I was allowed to use my arms and turn my head but that's it.
Someone mentioned a catheter. I'm almost positive that I didn't have one but I would request one for sure if I could do it over.
I am 3 weeks post ablation and am on Pradaxa for the required 3 months. Also on Flecainide but that will likely stopped tomorrow after I see the doc for my post op visit. There's certainly no way to know if the ablation worked until I'm off that. I feel great. Back to running and have had no fib other than a full blown fib event about 24 hrs post op that only lasted a few hours.
January 02, 2018 06:29PM
Catfight23
They told me they use 200lbs of human pressure while you're still asleep.

Yup. For my first two ablations they woke me up before removing the sheaths from the veins so I know how they do it. Two nurses came in, stood on each side of me, then they removed the sheaths at the same time and pressed on my groin with all their upper body weight for 15 minutes. Not particularly comfortable for any of the parties involved. I really can't imagine why they were waking people up before doing that, but they no longer do.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login