Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

magnesium differences?

Posted by blueduns 
magnesium differences?
March 28, 2017 01:53PM
question for the mag experts please.

My reg dr. has me taking mag for years now but now learning here there are different
kinds. I never knew that the one I'm on is not the best (oxide). So how to switch to
glycinate or citrate? I'm on 600mg so my question is if the oxide is not the best absorbed,
how much of the others would be equivalent to start out taking and maybe increase the
dose from there to bowel tolerance? thanks

BD

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/28/2017 02:04PM by blueduns.
Re: magnesium differences?
March 28, 2017 03:46PM
Just stop the mag oxide and start another one.

[www.iherb.com]

600 mg is a fine starting dose. You shouldn't have bowel issues at that level.
March 28, 2017 03:55PM
DB,

Your bowel tolerance on something other than oxide should be at a higher dose (because they get absorbed out of the gut). Likely that 600 mg will cause you no issues.

By the way, oxide has worked for me, though I usually use other forms.

Your comment triggered a memory of a post I wrote in 2010 <[www.afibbers.org] It was about magnesium researcher, the late Dr. Mansmann, took 20 g/day of mag for a year to eliminate his diabetic neuropathy. A significant amount of that 20 g was oxide.

George
March 28, 2017 08:48PM
thanks guys. Would I be correct that the better forms get absorbed at approx twice the amount of oxide?
That would mean if I switch to 300 citrate or glycinate my heart will see about the same amount as before?
Then I can start increasing it gradually to maybe double my previous absorbed dose. I don't mind going
upon the dose a little when I switch but would rather not double it right off. Thanks George on the oxide
info. I can at least use up what I have and not waste it.

BD
March 28, 2017 10:13PM
BD,

To be honest, I couldn't tell the difference between any of the forms - and I've used them all: oxide, citrate, chloride, glycinate, malate, bicarbonate, acetate & so on (they all work for me). I wouldn't get too technical about it. I know people have posted the bioavailability stuides here some years ago - I found one here: <[www.afibbers.org] that pretty much proves the point - there isn't that much difference. Problem is, some of the studies are funded by the manufacturers, for example the Albion glycinate studies, so are suspect in my mind (and I do use Albion malate). If you took 300 mg oxide and 300 mg glycinate, I'm sure you'd be fine - then adjust from there. Worst case is your stools might be a little loose, but I doubt it. At one point I was taking 5 1/2 grams/day, so 300 was a rounding error for me. I realize that is NOT true for everybody, but a loose stool is not the end of the world (at least in my world).

Also this post: <[www.afibbers.org]

George

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/29/2017 08:45AM by GeorgeN.
March 30, 2017 05:43PM
thanks again George. I looked up my last blood work and my level was 2.1 ( normal range 1.5-2.5 mEq/L.).
so to my regular dr, it's just right in range. But I'm guessing that for us affibbers, this is too low. So what Mg
level should I be shooting for if the blood values are acceptable as a rough guide.

BD
March 31, 2017 07:38PM
I use a combination of the Doctor's Best suggested above, and Seeking Health's Magnesium Glycinate Powder. There used to be a capsuled magnesium/chelated albion method that was out there, but they changed the formula. That worked so well for me I'm very annoyed at the change. I've found that using these two different kinds works best for me.
Nancy
April 01, 2017 11:01PM
blueduns
thanks again George. I looked up my last blood work and my level was 2.1 ( normal range 1.5-2.5 mEq/L.).
so to my regular dr, it's just right in range. But I'm guessing that for us affibbers, this is too low. So what Mg
level should I be shooting for if the blood values are acceptable as a rough guide.
BD

Serum mag is not a reliable measure. If it is low, out of range, then it is low. However the body tries very hard to keep the serum level in range. So it can be in range and your intra cellular level can still be low.

Jackie would tell you to get an Exatest, I'm of the opinion that an RBC mag test is good enough. Magnesium doc, Carolyn Dean ( I think there are posts about her in the archives), would say that getting an RBC level >6 or between 6 & 6.5 is a good indication that you have enough mag. She has a fair amount of clinical experience backing this up.

George
April 03, 2017 09:28PM
BD:

I have an extensive article on this topic as well that you might want to check out. I talk about magnesium and magnesium testing.

[www.livingwithatrialfibrillation.com]

Everything George has mentioned in this thread is spot on.

I personally take ReMag as it's the only form I can take in high doses without any side effects (i.e. loose stools). I take about 600mg per day.

Travis
April 07, 2017 08:14PM
Thanks again. Seeing my GP next week. Will ask for the RBC test.

BD
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login