Welcome to the Afibber’s Forum
Serving Afibbers worldwide since 1999
Moderated by Shannon and Carey

Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Six weeks post left appendage ablation EKG-Great news NSRsmiling bouncing smiley

Posted by afibbers 
Six weeks post left appendage ablation EKG-Great news NSRsmiling bouncing smiley
January 03, 2017 08:36PM
Happy New Year Forum,
I am happy to post that my six week checkup after my ablation in Texas was successful! My EKG was NSR! I do have to return to Texas for a TEE in April. I thought the results would be discussed the day of the TEE with Dr. Natale as I will be coming from Michigan. But after readin Smackman's post he indicated the results were phoned in to him. Anyone out there that had to return to Texas for a TEE?
Thanks,
Pam
Re: Six weeks post left appendage ablation EKG-Great news NSRsmiling bouncing smiley
January 03, 2017 10:33PM
I am in NSR. I failed my TEE in Dec. I just got the report today(Christmas Holidays). Dr. Natale was not there when my TEE was done and the Physician who done the TEE had to get Dr. Natale to see it.

My results just got posted.
Re: Six weeks post left appendage ablation EKG-Great news NSRsmiling bouncing smiley
January 05, 2017 11:41AM
Hi Pam,

Great to hear your heart is humming along again back in NSR after your very late recurrence over 10 yrs, following such great success from your index ablation with Dr Natale back when he was still director of AFIB at Cleveland Clinic.

Dr Natale prefers folks who have had an LAA Isolation to return to either Austin or San Francisco for their first follow up appointment with him after the LAA isolation, in order to have one of his TEE cardiologists at either facility do your important TEE that is somewhat unique compared to the parameters looked for in most routine TEE exams.

Not only do you then get a full follow up with his staff and often Dr Natale himself depending on when your follow up is scheduled, but most importantly he then knows for sure that the cardiologist doing your post LAA-isolation TEE that is looking specifically for three not that common parameters, are highly experienced in properly detecting and interpreting the results of your LAA emptying velocity, the evaluation of your Doppler A-Wave consistency as measured at the mitral valve infliw area, snd who is equally familiar with confirming the absence or presence of any amount of 'smoke' or SEC (spontaneous echo contrast) as seen in either the LA or LAA.

It is possible for a very experienced TEE cardiologist to ge good results and interpretation of these 3 markers that are key in determining whether, or not, you need to continue to address long term stroke risk going forward, but I have seen too that so often even after Dr Natale's office as sent a detailed description of just what they are looking for in these three tests to one of his LAA Isolation patients local cardiologist who then performs the TEE, for the local cardio to get one or more of these three test result interpretations wrong, and then requiring the patient to come to Austin or SF to repeat the test all over again.

If you do choose to have the TEE done locally he will request not only the written results from the local TEE cardio, but also the full CD video of the full TEE for Dr Natale to confirm the findings of the local cardio.

In light of how often I have seen otherwise experienced local TEE cardios get one or more of the three precise metrics that Dr Natale is looking for wrongly interpreted, or poorly visualized, after Dr Natale has reviewed the actual TEE CD, it is my strong recommendation to go to Austin or San Fran for one's 6 month follow-up if the afibber had an LAA-isolation in their procedure. That added peace of mind in knowing that the TEE captures the actual picture of your LAA mechanical function is well worth the effort in addition to getting a follow-up of your overall post ablation status where you got the procedure to begin with.

Shannon
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login