Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Pill in the Pocket - Sotolol

Posted by jlm33990 
Pill in the Pocket - Sotolol
November 03, 2016 01:12PM
After moving to a new state I am now unable to use my metoprlol/flecanaide pip combo that has been terminating my afib episodes quickly and regularly.
The new doctors feel it is unsafe for me because I have CAD, even though it's characterized as non-obstructive and mild, and will not refill my prescription.
They want me to now use sotalol twice a day.

Rather than do that I was wondering if sotolol could be effective as a PIP.
Any experience doing that and if so what dosage?

I'm now trying to get in for an ablation but am faced with a several month wait. I'm having episodes twice a month and trying to decide how to proceed until the ablation.
Thanks...Jim
Re: Pill in the Pocket - Sotolol
November 04, 2016 03:16AM
Go to another Dr. in your new location?
November 04, 2016 12:15PM
Jim,

I agree with Anti-Fib - find a new doc who will prescribe. This would be my preferred option. A friend had doc who never would prescribe PIP. He finally went to an EP who would. I assume your CAD hasn't changed as flec really is dangerous for those with severe CAD.

Not that I suggest this, but I had a time without good health insurance. I ordered internationally from Goldpharma.com. I ordered Apocard brand flec. It came with each pill individually in a blister pack. I didn't use it often, but it worked just like the US prescription. Also had a friend with a house in Mexico bring me back Tambocor brand flec. Interestingly, it is made in Los Angeles. I've yet to try it as haven't needed it. After five years, I assume my pills have likely degraded enough to get a new prescription (had a talk with a doc about how often to replace - he said they won't turn to poison, just lose their effectiveness slowly over time). At the time I ordered, you could use a credit card. Now US regulations prohibit this, so the option is a SWIFT bank wire transfer. This will incur fees at the bank and on the other side.

George

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/04/2016 12:19PM by GeorgeN.
November 27, 2016 09:08PM
hi Sorry ,but what is Metoprlol/flecanaide pip? thanks Kirk
November 29, 2016 10:38PM
kirk Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> hi Sorry ,but what is Metoprlol/flecanaide pip? th

Kirk,

Metoprolol is a beta-blocker, which acts to slow the heart rate but otherwise do nothing to affect rhythm.

Flecainide is an anti-arrhythmic medication that slows atrial conduction and works to maintain/restore normal sinus rhythm (NSR).

Edit: I should add that PIP means "pill in pocket" or, rather, a needs-based approach to medicating AF. You only take the medication when symptoms arise.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/30/2016 11:00PM by wolfpack.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login