Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Urea Nitrogen (BUN)

Posted by Elizabeth 
Urea Nitrogen (BUN)
June 27, 2016 11:18PM
My BUN has always been a little over the lab range, but the last test was about 15 over the lab range. Dr. Brownstein said that I should drink more water (I don't drink a lot), I work outside a lot and I have sweated a lot, so that is possible that my body needed more fluids. I also do eat a lot of protein, i read that one should not eat too much protein for 24 hrs. before testing, I have also read that propafenone can lead to kidney problems, I have been taking propafenone for quite a few years, i only take one at night before bedtime (150mg.) so i don't take a large amount but i have been taking it everyday for a long time.

Dr. Brownstein just said to drink more water, I am a little worried, does anyone have any sage advice.

Thanks
Elizabeth
Re: Urea Nitrogen (BUN)
June 28, 2016 03:22PM
I think the Creatinine and the BUN/Creatinine ratio is more important than the BUN alone. BUN goes up or down depending upon hydration status.
June 29, 2016 12:06AM
Anti fib:

My creatinine is 1.19, the reference range is 0.60 - 0.88 ng/dl so I am a little high there as well. The bun/creatinine ratio is 35, reference range is 6 - 22. I am drinking more water so hope that will help.

Liz
June 29, 2016 10:46PM
Hey Liz,

Many kidney issues are a result of disfunction in the glucose/insulin metabolism. Fasting glucose is an insensitive indicator. One approach is to get a decent glucometer, such as the Contour Next (my T1 friends use this) and test an hour after typical meals and see what you get (you can get strips off eBay for around $25/100). I like to keep my after meal readings to <105 mg/dL, but if they were consistently 130 or higher, I would reduce carbs and also make sure my protein was adequate, but not more. This is somewhat controversial, but my nursing home dietician friend says protein/day of 1 mg/kg of lean body mass is adequate (0.45g/pound lean body mass). I get about 0.4 g/pound/day with 60 g/protein from all sources and a lean body mass around 150 pounds.

Toronto nephrologist, Jason Fung, writes about this quite a bit.

George
June 30, 2016 10:25AM
LIZ :

Just wondering, what is your BP like?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login