Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Continue to take Eliquis???

Posted by smackman 
Continue to take Eliquis???
May 16, 2016 08:10PM
I have been back in NSR for over 3 weeks. I went into AFlutter after 2 years+ of NSR after being ablated by Dr. Natale. I had at that time Long term persistent AFIB.

I went back into NSR on my own; No Cardioversion etc. Austin has no intentions of doing another Ablation on me unless I go back into AFIB or Aflutter which I "sorta" agree with. I would like to get my "touch up" ablation this year since I have met my deductible but....

I know most will say call my Cardiologist or call Dr. Natale's staff and ask if I should stay on Eliquis as a precautionary measure for a few months. I am just looking for opinions.

ALSO, I have a Beach Vacation planned the last of June. Is it to risky for me to go on this Vacation considering the Heat.Humidity etc.Also The 9 hour drive... I have done spent the money for this Vacation as one has to in advance to get a Condo in this area we love to go to but I have reservations about going since my Heart has flared up. I have little faith this was a one time incident.

We plan this Vacation every year with our Kids and Grandchildren. It will be in Orange Beach, Alabama which is approx. 1 hour max. from Pensacola,Florida.

5 mg Valium a day as needed.
20 mg Prozac daily
15 mg Prevacid a day
60 cc shot of Testosterone Cypionate every 10 days. Testosterone is low due to schedule two narcotics.
.5 mg Arimidex 2x a week to keep Estrogen levels in check. T shots can cause rise in Estrogen.

100 mg Metoprolol ER 1x a day
25 mg HydroDiuril fluid pill 1x a day every 2 days.
Neurontin 900mg a day (for Neuropathic pain IC/CPPS)
800 mg of Magnesium daily . Different types
81 mg aspirin 1X a day. Heart Doctor order due to stent installed in Jan. 2012.
2.5 mg Eliquis 2X a day

Miralax 1x a day for constipation issues. I have tried so many different methods for Constipation since 2008. Fiber is in my diet but to much Fiber really Constipates me.

25 mg/hcr Fentanyl.patch changed every 2 days

1st ablation done Feb. 27, 2014 for Long term persistent AFIB Dr. Natale
2nd Ablation done June 16,2016 Dr. Natale LAA isolated

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/16/2016 10:36PM by smackman.
Re: Continue to take Eliquis???
May 16, 2016 10:45PM
This topic has been widely debated in past posts. Sounds to me like you don't need to take the Eliquis any longer than 30 days since your spontaneous conversion. You don't need to take the Blood Thinner unless you have another episode.
May 16, 2016 11:41PM
Hi Smackman,
You may not technically need it but at times your are not symptomatic either so at this point, when going on vacation and all Id just stay with it until your are back and then check with Natale's office ... or check with them now. Don't let anyone of us beside Natale determine this one for you.

You could stay in NSR another week or another year, but odds are very high a touch up is in your not too distant future,

Don't worry about your vacation at all enjoy yourself and don't let the chance of an episode spoil the fun. If you do go back into AFIB you know what to do with the meds and NOAC will be on board and you will be protected in any event.

Plus, if you convert to Flutter again it's the 'coup de grace' signalling the touch-up time for sure! Better sooner than later I say, if it's going to happen anyway.

Shannon

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/17/2016 12:43AM by Shannon.
May 17, 2016 07:02AM
I'm surprised Natale calls the shots 2 1/2 years out from an Ablation on Anti-coagulation.

Shannon, when you are saying that Smackman is not Symptomatic, are you saying he doesn't know, or may not know when an episode starts? The key is whether he knows when he is in AFIB, or A-Flutter. If he knows he is in NSR for 30+ days, then why is a Blood Thinner warranted in a Lone Afibber? Or does Smackman have other issues going on with his Heart?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/17/2016 07:41AM by The Anti-Fib.
May 17, 2016 12:24PM
It's also very important to know the current labs on essential markers that determine the likelihood to promote adverse clotting.... such as we mention in discussions about sticky, thick blood which include:

Homocysteine
Fibrinogen
High Sensitivity or Cardiac C-reactive protein
Ferritin
Hemoglobin A1C
Lipoprotein (a)
Interleukin – 6
Oxidized LDL

Elevated homocysteine, above all, is a very important marker as is the inflammation marker, CRP.

Cardiologist, Stephen Sinatra, MD, writes about the importance of testing for Interleukin 6 - "...interleukin-6 may be an even better marker for inflammation than CRP because these “precursor” levels rise earlier. Therefore you should ask your doctor to conduct an interleukin-6 test."

Quite often these labs aren't included in routine visits but are especially important in those with Afib.

Jackie
May 17, 2016 01:03PM
I was instructed once to just take a thinner if I go into flutter or fib. vs all the time. You may stay NSR from now on out who knows.

Tim
May 17, 2016 03:52PM
Jackie Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> It's also very important to know the current labs
> on essential markers that determine the likelihood
> to promote adverse clotting.... such as we mention
> in discussions about sticky, thick blood which
> include:
>
> Homocysteine
> Fibrinogen
> High Sensitivity or Cardiac C-reactive protein
> Ferritin
> Hemoglobin A1C
> Lipoprotein (a)
> Interleukin – 6
> Oxidized LDL
>
> Elevated homocysteine, above all, is a very
> important marker as is the inflammation marker,
> CRP.
>
> Cardiologist, Stephen Sinatra, MD, writes about
> the importance of testing for Interleukin 6 -
> "...interleukin-6 may be an even better marker
> for inflammation than CRP because these
> “precursor” levels rise earlier. Therefore you
> should ask your doctor to conduct an interleukin-6
> test.
"
>
> Quite often these labs aren't included in routine
> visits but are especially important in those with
> Afib.
>
> Jackie

Jackie, I have no idea if these elaborate test were ran when I was in AFLUTTER a month ago. I do not know where individuals go to have such test ran but all I know is the blood work they ran on me was all good and believe me, they took a lot of blood samples.
I know what you are saying is right but somethings are unrealistic depending on your demographics and the size of " our money pockets". I live in rural north central Louisiana meaning no where near a place like Austin, Texas which is 8-9 hours away.
May 17, 2016 04:20PM
Shannon Wrote:
> Hi Smackman,
> You may not technically need it but at times your
> are not symptomatic either so at this point, when
> going on vacation and all Id just stay with it
> until your are back and then check with Natale's
> office ... or check with them now. Don't let
> anyone of us beside Natale determine this one for
> you.
>
> You could stay in NSR another week or another
> year, but odds are very high a touch up is in your
> not too distant future,
>
> Don't worry about your vacation at all enjoy
> yourself and don't let the chance of an episode
> spoil the fun. If you do go back into AFIB you
> know what to do with the meds and NOAC will be on
> board and you will be protected in any event.
>
> Plus, if you convert to Flutter again it's the
> 'coup de grace' signalling the touch-up time for
> sure! Better sooner than later I say, if it's
> going to happen anyway.
>
> Shannon

Shannon, What is NOAC? I have tried hard to decipher this but my brain is "not computing " LOL
I think for precautionary measures I will stay on Eliquis through our vacation then talk to Austin. IF something happened while on vacation, they could cardiovert me because I am on Eliquis.
All my heart lowering medications are Extended Release.
Currently,I am only taking 25 mg of Metroprol ER a day but I do have some ER Cardizem 120 mg also.
I do have some old 50 mg Metoprolol tablets. I will probably have to go to the Hospital if I go into AFLUTTER OR AFIB.
I am open for suggestions on how to stay out of the Hospital if I have a episode while on Vacation.

5 mg Valium a day as needed.
20 mg Prozac daily
15 mg Prevacid a day
60 cc shot of Testosterone Cypionate every 10 days. Testosterone is low due to schedule two narcotics.
.5 mg Arimidex 2x a week to keep Estrogen levels in check. T shots can cause rise in Estrogen.

100 mg Metoprolol ER 1x a day
25 mg HydroDiuril fluid pill 1x a day every 2 days.
Neurontin 900mg a day (for Neuropathic pain IC/CPPS)
800 mg of Magnesium daily . Different types
81 mg aspirin 1X a day. Heart Doctor order due to stent installed in Jan. 2012.
2.5 mg Eliquis 2X a day

Miralax 1x a day for constipation issues. I have tried so many different methods for Constipation since 2008. Fiber is in my diet but to much Fiber really Constipates me.

25 mg/hcr Fentanyl.patch changed every 2 days

1st ablation done Feb. 27, 2014 for Long term persistent AFIB Dr. Natale
2nd Ablation done June 16,2016 Dr. Natale LAA isolated
May 17, 2016 09:22PM
It is Eliguis Smack.. Noval Oral Anti-Coagulant.. that is what I would do for your up-coming vacation and call Austin from follow-up advice after returning.
Shannon
May 18, 2016 04:20PM
Shannon Wrote:
> It is Eliguis Smack.. Noval Oral
> Anti-Coagulant.. that is what I
> would do for your up-coming vacation and call
> Austin from follow-up advice after returning.
> Shannon

Thanks Shannon. My game plan is to continue the Eliqus through my Vacation. After the Vacation, I will call Austin and see what they want me to do.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/18/2016 04:20PM by smackman.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login