Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Fitbit tracker tracks effect of low carb diet on sleep pattern and afib events

Posted by colindo 
Fitbit tracker tracks effect of low carb diet on sleep pattern and afib events
April 25, 2016 01:45AM
Hi All,

I thought I would share my surprise discovery of the effect of a low carb diet on my sleep pattern and afib occurrence.

I recently purchased a fitbit tracker (Dec.12) and the below graph follows my resting heart rate from Dec.12 to April 1.

After my last afib event (Feb 6) I decided to try a low carb diet, it took a couple of weeks to change my diet and on March 1 I saw a marked drop from 70 bpm to 60 bpm, I also notice that my sleep pattern changed from an average of 6.5 hours to almost 8 hours. I have always slept 6.5 hours for years, as long as I can remember.
Its almost 3 months since my last afib event and the Fitbit has continued to track at 60 bpm and still NO afib.
This is an unexpected result as I never thought that cutting down on processed carbohydrate would be this effective.

I am delighted.

Colin

Re: Fitbit tracker tracks effect of low carb diet on sleep pattern and afib events
April 25, 2016 03:13PM
Hi Colin – very good news that your sleep has improved and the AF is gone!

Stabilizing blood glucose levels as you have done by avoiding a high glycemic load is very important since, as you know, it can interfere with longer sleep cycles and also result in AF from that stability disruption which is a stress response from increased hormones production… adrenaline and cortisol. Often when the high load causes an over-correction in glucose management, symptoms such as shorter sleep cycles, insomnia or outright arrhythmia are the result.

A protein and healthy fat snack 2 hours before bed usually help stabilize glucose levels.

Many people think that it’s relaxing to drink alcohol later in the evening before bed but that contributes to insomnia because alcohol causes the release of adrenaline and disrupts production of serotonin, the brain chemical that initiates sleep. Sugar and carbs also interfere with sleep because imbalances can trigger the fight-or-flight response which causes wakefulness. This often happens with too many carbs in the evening meal or late night snack… then you don’t sleep well or long enough as a result.

You’re definitely on the right path to eating wisely. Good job! Your post is important and should help many afibbers.

Best to you,
Jackie
Re: Fitbit tracker tracks effect of low carb diet on sleep pattern and afib events
May 01, 2016 09:54PM
Colin,

This is very interesting, thanks so much for sharing this.

Are you currently on any afib meds?

Clay
May 02, 2016 03:35PM
Hi Clay,

No, I don't take any afib meds or any meds at all for that matter. I was on statins for 7 years and just recently stopped.
The afib meds didn't do a lot for me or had bad side effects, I have tried a lot of them.
I take supplements however. Magnesium, fish oil, ginger, turmeric, CoQ10, pomegranate and L-theanine.

When I have an afib event I take one tablet of Ativan (lorazepam) a couple of panadol with a glass of warm water, go to bed and weather the storm.

Over the years, I have tried a lot things searching for a cure, and think a life style change is what has helped the most.
I have lost weight, I used to be over 100kg (220lbs) now am 82kg (180lbs) as a result my blood pressure is now under 120/80. (with the help of the 5.2 diet.)
I drink little alcohol, 2 or 3 glasses a week.
I exercise on a cross trainer and go for a walk sometimes, I should do more.
I have changed my diet to whole foods (no take a ways) and recently cut down on carbs and eat more proteins.

I haven't had afib for 3 months which is the best result I've had for years so I think I am at last on the right path.

I hope that helps.
Colin
May 02, 2016 10:28PM
Very interesting to me because every one of my attacks except one have come at night, between 4 and 5 AM. I have made many of the lifestyle changes you mention. Alcohol was definitely a trigger for me but my diet and weight were okay. I was put on Rythmol last year after a holter monitor revealed I was going in and out more than I thought. That put me in a-flutter which lead to a flutter ablation, and Rythmol since then. I've been quiet until recently with two minor breakthroughs (both at 5AM) so I am very interested in what happens to my heart rate at that time in the morning. I have done a low carb diet before (several times) and always lose weight on it, but also backslide eventually eye rolling smiley. It would be fascinating for me to be able to see how lifestyle changes are affecting heart rate, especially at that time of the day.

Thanks again, and NSR!

Clay
May 03, 2016 09:01AM
Clay - in some of my responses in other posts, I've mentioned the connection between early morning AF and low blood glucose levels. I learned of that connection early on from my holistic Family Practice MD...when my AF began 20+ years ago. He advised eating a protein and healthy fat snack a couple hours before bed and to avoid eating anything in the evening that was high glycemic as that sets you up for the 'rebound effect' later on while sleeping. Once I did that, having those wee-hour events was reduced significantly. He recommended a low carb diet. I also gave up alcohol entirely as it is known to not only deplete magnesium, but also damages heart cells.

The other connection you should investigate is sleep apnea as that is also related to AF. You can do an initial screening test at home first, rather than going for a formal sleep study.

Jackie
May 03, 2016 09:34AM
A new study being reported on here at Heart Rhythm Society Scientific Sessions 2016 in San Francisco which I'm attending this week starting today, and which highlights the relationship between elevated fasting glucose and AFIB. I will be summarizing those study findings in an up-coming AFIB report.

One good thing I like about an hour or so before bed is to take a tablespoon of organic extra virgin coconut oil as a well to level out those glucose nadirs at night that can something cause hypoglycemia.

really dropping the processed carbs is a big step in the right direction in reclaiming a healthier body all around. Insuring sufficient sleep is the number one anti-aging step you can possibly do for yourself and really helps in resetting your circadian endogenous hormone balance as well.

Good work Colin!

Shannon
May 03, 2016 09:58AM
Fascinating discussion. Very interested to hear more about fasting glucose levels and afib, this has clearly had an impact in my situation.

Back to my paleo granola!

Thanks everyone,

Clay
May 03, 2016 02:01PM
Good reminder, Shannon, about the organic coconut oil... expeller pressed... at night before bed. That's what I use.

Jackie
May 03, 2016 09:42PM
If you are keto-adapted, these night glucose issues go away, as your brain always has a good source of fuel. My goal is no food for at least 3 hours before bed, and I fast 22 hours/day. At the end of a 48 hour water fast a couple of weeks ago, my serum glucose was in the 50's, without any hypoglycemic issues whatsoever. I could have easily gone out and skied or rock climbed for 7 or 8 hours, continuing the fast. Not that I'm suggesting it for all. I've put my caveats in this post: <[www.afibbers.org]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login