Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

2.5 years afib free

Posted by Tom B 
2.5 years afib free
April 16, 2016 10:59AM
Hi all,
Just thought I'd check in and let you know that I've gone over 2.5 years without afib. I had battled the dread disease for over 5 years with various degrees of success, but finally gave up on the supplement route when I went persistent after having an infection. (magnesium supplements would actually trigger afib in my case, as would just about anything I tried...yikes!) The procedure was performed by Dr. Patrawala of Silicon Valley Cardiology, and consisted of two tries, the second being successful.
I eat very carefully, low salt, very low carbs (except what is found in some veg's), meat is limited to lean ground turkey, chicken and occasional fish. Lots of veg's and beans and over a cup of salt-free mixed nuts every day. I have learned that dairy is a huge irritant to me so I avoid it altogether (Luckily I had developed nasty esophageal spasms that mimicked heart attacks, and was able to trace them to being triggered an hour or two after dairy). Coincidentally, my BP dropped about 20 points with no dairy, so I suspect a kind of inflammatory response was happening which could have been an afib contributing factor. I am not lactose intolerant, so the dairy factor kind of snuck up on me. I also avoid processed grains and sugar as all contribute to inflammation and joint pain. I drink a glass of pomegranate juice every day also.
I exercise regularly, but not too heavily, except when I ride dirt bikes off-road once a week. A day or two after that harder exercise I do experience some runs of pvc's (which I've had for decades).

So things are going well to date. I hope all of you find a solution to this nasty condition.

By the way, I'm 68.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 04/16/2016 11:15AM by Tom B.
Re: 2.5 years afib free
April 16, 2016 04:38PM
Great to hear TomB, that things have settled down well for you now. Good job of following three with all
The steps including good eating and smart exercise as well as finishing up a solid ablation process and not getting side tracked half way through. It often takes a touch up to a good foundational index ablation to put the genie back in the bottle for the long term.

Be well and keep dropping in!

Shannon
Re: 2.5 years afib free
April 17, 2016 11:20AM
Hello Tom - Great report. Congrats on your discipline and stability.

Good that you picked up on the dairy influence as that's often overlooked and much more evidence now is pointing to the silent inflammation dairy can provoke in sensitive individuals whereas, typically, the lactose intolerance was the only obvious symptom.

Enjoy the rest of your life in blessed NSR!!!

Best to you,
Jackie
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login