Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Mixed Feelings over Upcoming Ablation

Posted by Kappa 
Mixed Feelings over Upcoming Ablation
February 13, 2016 10:08PM
I was diagnosed with paroxymal Afib in 2008. In 2009, it became really bad with several attacks weekly. However, I changed my lifestyle completely, became vegan, drank green smoothies, meditated etc. and the attacks went away for about 2-3 years. It came back in 2012, but in 2015 it was out of control, resulting in Afib every other day. Eventually, I had attacks that lasted up to 40 hours. I had one cardio version; wish I didn't, and I feel it was a waste of money and resources. Day after, I had my longest attack ever: 66 hours. Not fun.

Anyway, I finally asked for help. This was hard for me, because I am absolutely NOT a fan of most biomedicine and now I feel I am completely "under the spell" of the medical profession...medications, blood tests, echo-cardiograms, stress tests, TEE, and God knos what. But....I cannot do "this" anymore. I have spent countless hours educating myself in this disease, I have tried supplements, anti-parsitics (H-pylori) detoxification, smoothies, vegan food only, cayenne pepper, molasses, no caffeine, juice diet only for weeks on end, exercise, meditation, yoga, Qi Gong, prayer..and I am so exhausted and tired of this. Both physically and emotionally. I just want to feel normal again and not be sick.

Feb 25...that's the day for my ablation procedure. I want this, (never thought I'd say that), but I am also scared. I have read other people's posts both here and on other sites on ablation...aren't there any that have had really good results...at least over time? I mean, shouldn't one expect at least a little discomfort and some heart arrhythmia after such a procedure? I don't know what to think anymore...but for me, at this point I would be forever grateful if I "only" had one afib attack monthly...or even weekly. Good news is that Flecainide (which I was fighting taking for 8 years) is actually working. I would prefer to be off meds eventually though...don't like that toxic stuff in my body.

I am not sure why I wrote this. Whatever thoughts you guys might have are appreciated.
Re: Mixed Feelings over Upcoming Ablation
February 14, 2016 07:24PM
I had my ablation in January 2003 in Bordeaux after many years of paroxysmal AF and 18 months of persistent. Normal rhythm since then - I'm into my 14th year.

I was back to normal life two days after the ablation. I eat and drink whatever I like, I work out three times a week, I scuba dive.

I would call this a really good result. In fact, best thing I ever did. But to get a good result you need to have an EP who is very skilled and experienced. Who is doing your ablation?

Gill (pronounced 'Jill' and female)
February 14, 2016 08:54PM
HI Kappa - I can relate to much of what you wrote, as I was in a similiar situation. I had Afib for 10 years, before having an ablation. For the first 5 years, I could make it stop - by taking a brisk walk. I was getting Afib several days/week, and then once a day, and then twice/day...before deciding to take Flecainide. (I was afraid of this drug too, and took it right before going to walk at the gym with my friends, so they could be with me if something "happened") As it was, I got myself so worked up, that I drove myself to my Cardio as I felt like I was having some kind of weird Afib after taking the Flec...as it was, I think I was just getting a lot of PACs. They ended up increasing my dose until my heart got quiet again. That made life much better with 3-4 episodes of Afib/month instead of twice/day...

My husband was diagnosed with lung cancer in June 2013, and subsequently, Dr. Andrea Natale (the BEST doctor in the U.S. for ablations), was going to be working in NYC part time, so I made the decision that it was TIME. I too was exhausted and sick of dealing with Afib for so many years - and yes, I was very afraid of getting an Ablation too. But the fear of Afib coming back or even of having to stay on Flecainide and knowing it often stops working were bigger fears than the fear of having an ablation - especially with Dr. Natale. And so I had it done in Sept. of 2013. I had some flutter the following Spring and had a "touch up" by Dr. Natale to fix that, and things have been good since. (2 years).

You've tried everything already. Flecainide does not work long term for many people...An ablation makes a lot of sense at this point, in my opinion. Many people on this Board have had successful ablations. As others have said, it does matter who does it however. Especially for those of us who have had Afib long term....Who is doing your ablation?

I love the fact that I no longer have to go out in all kinds of weather or times of day or night and walk, walk, walk, until my heart goes back into NSR...and also that I don't have to take a drug with a lot of interactions with other medications (God forbid there is a need to take an important medicine for another condition and you can't, due to the interactions...there are a lot with Flecainide)

Let us know your doctor - assuming it's one of the top ones, know that you are indeed doing the right thing in getting yourself back to normal again. It's OK to be afraid - I was too. But you will be so glad you finally did it and you can move on!

Best to you ~ Barb
February 15, 2016 09:47AM
Hi Kappa,

I understand how you are feeling. I, too, was scared about having an ablation. Believe me, I am definitely not an expert here. I am just a novice. There are many other individuals on this forum who have a lot more knowledge and experience than I do. I just want to encourage you to go ahead with the ablation.

My afib journey began last March of 2015 when I was undergoing a lot of stress with two parents who were having health issues (my dad almost died). Being an only child, I had to take care of the issues myself. This is the time my afib began. I was under a cardiologist care, but I was determined to try supplements (mag, potass, taurine) as oppose to taking medicine. However, they weren't really working for me. When I ended up in the hospital, I was given medicine by a different cardiologist. The medicine seemed to be making me worst. My original cardiologist suggested an ablation for me which I refused because I thought this condition could eventually be controlled by supplements and diet.

I was a vegetarian but only for two years. I had a green smoothie everyday and still do. I just can't seem to get away from them. Even though I was on a vegetarian diet, I still developed afib. I am 64. So, diet and age might have something to do with it. At a second doctor's appointment, my cardiologist again recommended an ablation. Again, I refused. He even talked with me for an hour. How many doctors talk with you for that long? Before I left his office, he went to the trouble of writing down the ablation doctor's name and phone number in case I would change my mind.

Well, I did change my mind because the afib episodes were happening more frequently. I was worried more about the afib becoming permanent. Then, it is harder to correct. Even though a doctor in my cardiologist's office building did ablations, my cardiologist recommended a doctor at the University of Pa. He told me that if it were him having the ablation, he would pick a doctor with the most experience.

This past Oct., I had my ablation, and I'm glad I did. At the time, I didn't know about Dr. Natalie (evidently, the best one) from Austin, Texas. I could have easily gone to him since I have a son who lives in Austin and could have stayed with his family.

Presently, I am doing fine even though it has only been a little over 4 mo. I do take metropolol in the evening but only 25 mg. Plus, I still supplement with mag,, potass, and taurine because I want to make sure that I don't get afib again. I do watch my diet. I am no longer on a vegetarian diet but trying the paleo diet to some degree. I'm still concern about eating so much meat protein and the effects it has on one's system. I make sure I don't eat sugar or processed foods and I watch my carbs. And, I check my fasting sugar periodically making sure it is in the correct range.

At this point, I encourage you with getting the ablation and with the best doctor possible. I read the book, Beat Your A-Fib by Steve S. Ryan, PhD, which instructed me on the type of questions I should ask the doctor who is doing the ablation. And I did ask tons of question such as - how many have you done, what is your success rate, etc. I probably was pretty intimidating. The book also includes testimonies of people who have had ablations. At the time, I didn't know about Hans Larson's books.

This forum has really been informative for me. A lot of great people share experiences and make comments. I am glad I discovered it when I was researching about afib on the internet. At the time, I didn't have much confidence in doctors. Although, after my experiences I do have great respect for my cardiologist.

I wish you all the best. Keep us updated on your results.

Marsh
February 15, 2016 10:09AM
Hi Kappa,

I'm fairly new to the ablation process, but there are many of us who were just like you and tried every possible thing to prevent afib from coming, convinced that the solution was around the next corner if we could only find it. This includes medication as a last resort before ablation (in my case, propafenone worked for almost 6 years, before I started having more and more breakthroughs). During the time I was on propafenone, there were more advances in the ablation techniques, but I also became concerned about the long-term toxicity of the med. If the flec is working for you with no side effects, great. The most important thing effective meds can do is to prevent frequent long-term events. In most cases, the meds don't work for the very long term, but there are always exceptions to the rule. You have to determine what gives you the most peace of mind.

Ablation has worked great for me so far (5 months) and it's such a relief not being on pins and needles waiting for afib to show up. I would add to Gill's and Barb's recommendation that you find the most skilled EP you can so you don't question yourself down the road. Even the best EPs sometimes need to do more than one procedure, but you give yourself the greatest chance of success when you go with the best from the beginning. This is emphasized time and time again on this forum, along with the reassurances and electrolyte maintenance recommendations.

Best wishes to you and keep us posted.

Doreen
February 15, 2016 12:08PM
Hi Kappa . Just to let you know , I felt the exact same way , to have someone work on your heart, is somewhat unnerving to say the least. I began having episodes in 2004 . Then there was a period of 2 years where the heart was very peaceful . Then the beast reared its head and life became miserable . Never knowing when the next episode would begin. Nothing specific , sometimes just bending over , after supper or late at night . Episodes became more frequent and mine would always last a full 24 hrs. I new when they began and new immediately when they ended. Went for my first ablation in 2013 . This Dr. felt that perhaps doing only right side would cure the A-Fib , Which of course it did not 2 months later it came back and quite frequent . This time I insisted that my Internist send me to the Dr. I had originally wanted to do the ablation. Which she did, had the left side of the Heart ablated and , Happy to say I have been A-fib free for 2 years . Recovery went very well , the hardest part was having to lay flat for 4 or 5 hrs. after the procedure .I have had a few occasional skipped beats as I call them , but nothing that alarms me in to thinking it is coming back . Life is good , and so very Glad that I had it done . .

Cheers and
Keep us all posted
Rosemarie
February 15, 2016 02:02PM
Kappa,

We all understand the feeling, so you are certainly not alone in that. I've only had a flutter ablation to this point, very simple procedure but I was freaked out about that! I think some nerves are natural going into any procedure, especially on your heart! Re an AF ablation I will just echo what others have said: find a very good and experienced EP and facility. And without knowing your medical history, results are better when in paroxysmal (you) vs. persistent. The good news is that results are improving all the time - best of luck and NSR!!

Clay
Ken
February 16, 2016 10:03AM
Kappa,

I may be one of the best success stories here. My afib was similar to yours, and I finally went in for an ablation. Three catheters, 60 burns and 100% successful for the last 9 years. 0 afib reoccurrence from the ablation until now. I was only on warfarin for one month post ablation and NO other drugs. No special diets before or after the ablation, but I do take potassium, magnesium and taurine now. I began regular weight workouts and jogging one month after the ablation. I had NO pain during recovery, only lots of bruising from the catheters. Back to full time work three days post ablation.

I documented all my episodes once afib was diagnosed. Total episodes (2001-2006) = 192 Range of length = 2-72 hrs (23 episodes over 24 hrs)

I was, and am still in great physical condition. I take no prescription medicines and am 70 years old. Just came back from a week of skiing in Telluride, Colorado.

I hear nothing on this forum about my Dr., Kevin Wheelan, Baylor Health Center, Dallas, but he did the perfect job.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/16/2016 10:08AM by Ken.
February 16, 2016 11:13AM
Hi Kappa,
'
You've heard a lot of good feedback on this thread so far from some very supportive and experienced afibbers here. I'd love to jump in too but simply don't have the time to convey in writing at the moment before your Feb 25 ablation date, what I would like to share with you via the phone during a daily break in my writing of the AFIB Report newsletter which I'm full bore in the middle of finishing up this week after a week delay the prior 10 days due to an unavoidable urgent demand on my time outside of my website and newsletter duties.

Since you are going in on Feb 25, and if you'd like to discuss your situation prior to your index ablation, I'd be happy to call you back if you will PM me your cell number and location and a good general time to call in the next couple of days.

Best wishesKappa, and we have all been there and come through the other side!

Shannon
February 17, 2016 04:25PM
Kappa,
I don't know how you have endured so long given that your episodes have been so challenging. Trying to go about your day
when the Afib is doing its thing and leaving you spent is awful. I could not handle what you have experience, and would have very reluctantly
signed on for an ablation. For me, so far meds working most of the time, but I know your story is the more typical one. I wish you a good treatment and speedy recovery!
February 19, 2016 12:57PM
who is doing, and where are you getting the Ablation from?
February 23, 2016 03:53PM
Hi

I had an ablation 3 years ago - been in NSR since
IMO go for it but only with someone very experienced

AFHound99
February 26, 2016 12:00PM
Very experienced hands is the key.

Murray L

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tikosyn uptake Dec 2011 500ug b.i.d. NSR since!
Herein lies opinion, not professional advice, which all are well advised to seek.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login