Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Pressure points and Vagal triggers

Posted by LindaE 
Pressure points and Vagal triggers
December 13, 2015 10:39PM
Hello,

This is my first post and I hope I have done it correctly.
Has anyone had afib triggered by bowel movements traveling through the digestive tract or even just gas?
Also, I have been battling afib a lot the past 24h and have discovered putting pressure just below my collar bones helps stop the episode. It is an EMF "tapping"? Spot. Sorry, ca not remember what EMF stands for but it is related to the Chinese energy pathways.
Also, has anyone had a third ablation? I am considering it.
Thanks for any advice.
Re: Pressure points and Vagal triggers
December 14, 2015 01:08AM
I have heard of Bowel Movements causing AF, but I don't know about references on this site. Straining, or holding breath makes it more likely.

EMF= Electromagnetic Frequency
Some people are EM sensitive, like myself. Never thought about effecting AFIB, but it would be worthwhile to look into.

The Tapping point you are referring to is a "EFT Tapping Point", not EMF. EFT = Emotional Freedom Technique.

Sounds like your issue is nerve related, since the Bowel movements are effecting it, and also the pressure point you are relieving may be releasing a nerve in the area (Vagus?) that is involved in the triggering of the AF.

Finally many have gotten a 3rd Ablation. Get the best Dr. you can though, the advice here would be to travel to one of the top Ablation Doctors in the world, as success depends on the skill of the Ablationist.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/14/2015 01:11AM by The Anti-Fib.
December 14, 2015 01:58PM
Linda,

Welcome.

"Has anyone had afib triggered by bowel movements traveling through the digestive tract or even just gas?"

That would be indicative of a "vagal" trigger. See: <[www.afibbers.org]

I've had the experience of drinking ice cold water doing this.

Here is a search of some of the site for more info: <[www.google.com]

George
December 16, 2015 07:05AM
Thank you for your advice, I will do the research.
Yes, it is "Emotional Freedom Technique, thank you - I had forgotten.
December 16, 2015 07:08AM
How would I be able to tell who the best ablation doctors in the world actually are? Also, I can only go to a doctor whom my insurance will cover. That rules out anyone outside of the US, I would think.
December 16, 2015 02:45PM
Linda:

Yes, it's very frustrating for me. 95% of my palps and afib are indigestion based. I will try the technique you suggest. Can you be more specifc on where you are putting pressure?

-Eric
December 16, 2015 05:05PM
Linda -

With the indigestion, is it with every meal, snack and beverage or have you been able to identify which are culprits?

Very often, food sensitivities to either dairy, casein in dairy or lactose intolerance causes symptoms of indigestion. The gluten in wheat and other grains can also cause symptoms.

If you only notice it when eating meals with starchy carbs and sugar, that could signal a yeast overgrowth (Candida albicans) and you can be tested for that. It would need to be treated. The yeast swells when "fed" and the swelling causes bloating and gas.

Then, very often, indigestion is from lack of natural stomach acid production (hydrochloric acid) which means that food can’t be broken down and it just lies there in the stomach for long period of time and putrifies or rots. This causes gas, bloating, indigestion. It’s typically linked to lack of vitamin B12 and zinc required to make stomach acid.

Along with that problem of gas and bloating… this can cause the bloated stomach to press on the diaphragm and that impinges or pinches the vagus nerve which enervates the diaphragm. Irritating the vagus, can stimulate AF. If the stomach protrudes through the diaphragm (hiatal hernia), that can cause another causing another vagus irritation problem and could stimulate AF.

Lots of considerations…. There are tests than can be done.

Also, you can take digestive enzymes which allow for more complete digestion and you can include betaine hydrochloride to help break down food and eliminate the indigestion. PPIs or acid blockers are often given for indigestion which do not address the whole picture and end up delaying the treatment that is actually needed…and that’s finding out why the indigestion occurs in the first place rather than mask it with a drug.

I did this quickly so you’d have a response. Let me know if this isn't clear or if you have more questions.

Check out these past reports involving digestive issues relating to AF.
[www.afibbers.org]
[www.afibbers.org]
[www.afibbers.org]

Jackie
December 25, 2015 10:53PM
Here is a link erich. [www.emofree.com]
Sometimes it helps, even if it is only because it's something else to focus on.
Jackiie- it's not indigestion or anything like that. I have determined that it's Vagal and simply happens every time I eat now. So, I am having very small meals, then I have to stand up for about one hour after. No sitting in a chair at the table for a nice discussion. Fortunately, my friends will come stand with me. I also get flutters when I lie down. So, going to the EP and asking if another ablation would help.
December 26, 2015 11:08AM
Linda - try to be tested for Candida to rule out that as a trigger. When you feed the yeast carbs or sugar, it swells and that causes the bloating, gas and vagus nerve impingement (and often AF). If you test positive, you'll need to manage that and then and you may not even need the second ablation. Otherwise, the Candida is still there to continue causing the same problems. An ablation won't fix the bloat nor the lack of adequate stomach acid.

Jackie
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login