Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Throat sensations

Posted by mntbikerlady 
Throat sensations
November 22, 2015 03:07PM
I know that funny sensations in your throat or upper chest along with feeling a need to cough are common with arrhythmias, but does anyone have an explanation why this occurs? I had a right side ablation for PSVTs and A flutter 5 weeks ago and am on flecainide during the blanking period. I know if I wasn't taking it, I would be a palpitating mess. I have NSR but crazy sensations in my throat I never had in the past. That get worse with exertion (what little I am doing at this point) or when I am tired. Thanks for any ideas..
Re: Throat sensations
November 23, 2015 10:51AM

I know that funny sensations in your throat or upper chest along with feeling a need to cough are common with arrhythmias, but does anyone have an explanation why this occurs?

My understanding is it's because the esophogas is right behind the heart, so the RF energy of ablation sometimes penetrates "too far" and irritates the esophogas tube. The opposite is also true - an irritated esophogas (eg, from gastric reflux, or coughing) can sometimes trigger afib.

There are also major nerves (eg, phrenic nerve, associated with breathing) that can be irritated/damaged via the RF. In most cases, these nerve insults are temporary, although it may take many months before the symptoms dissipate.

-Ted
November 23, 2015 04:12PM
mntbikerlady

i always had some throat sensations at times. I agree with apache on the proximity of evthing in the area. Aft my last ablation I was in afib, tach, palps for a while It slowly began to taper at about 8 weeks and was much better by 12 weeks, so just give some time and dont over do it.
tim
November 30, 2015 12:48PM
This 2008 journal article says you get the cough urge as a result of a PAC. I had that, too.

[journal.publications.chestnet.org]

Cathy
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login