Welcome to the Afibber’s Forum
Serving Afibbers worldwide since 1999
Moderated by Shannon and Carey

Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

epson salt bath, dehydration countermeasures?

Posted by apache 
epson salt bath, dehydration countermeasures?
October 22, 2015 09:57PM
Many of us take epson salt baths to increase our magnesium intake.

I recently discovered that epson salt baths are also used... to lose weight. Just google "epson salt weight cutting" and you'll see lots of discussions about this in the MMA culture.

Apparently the salt concentration draws out the body's moisture (osmosis). Since being dehydrated is often an afib trigger, it seems like it would be a good idea to take countermeasures (eg, drinking Nuun or other electrolyte) when taking an epson salt bath.

Any thoughts on the most effective way to combat the dehydration effect? It seems to be real (several theads were posted of fighters losing multiple pounds after an epson salt bath). Although it should be noted that they often add rubbing alcohol to the bath as well, to enhance the effect.
Re: epson salt bath, dehydration countermeasures?
October 23, 2015 08:56AM
I wouldn't worry about it. I doubt if most are using the quantity of Epsom salt that the MMA "cutters" are using. Also aren't doing the heating. Or covering the body with Abolene...

"The Polley Plunge"

Part 1

4-6 bottles of Green Rubbing Alcohol
3-4 bags of Epsom salt
Add water as HOT as you can handle
Cover your body in Abolene
Soak for 20-30 minutes

Part 2

Immediately put on sauna suit and sweats
Put on beanie
Lie on the floor under a blanket for 15-20 minutes
<[forum.mmajunkie.com] Abolene: <[www.albolene.com]
October 23, 2015 09:47AM
Interesting. There are various opinions on the topic of using magnesium sulphate (Epsom Salts) for baths. Check out these titles: [www.google.com]

Although I have never relied on magnesium sulphate baths for helping to increase my IC levels of magnesium, they definitely are relaxing and definitely alleviate pain from sore muscles. After the soak, I make sure I drink an abundance of my well water to which I've added the WW concentrate to help re-hydrate and offset skin dryness... which I would notice occurs from soaking in a hot bath even without the Epsom salts.

George has told us frequently about his topical applications of 'magnesium oil' made from nigari flakes and I've used the magnesium gel with ancient minerals from the Zechstein sea and also find that is very drying to the skin. This Mg gel has the ability to get into and relax sore muscles very quickly so it seems reasonable that the circulating magnesium will also eventually gain access inside heart cells which is our main goal.

Jackie
October 23, 2015 05:12PM
The Activationproducts.com form of topical magnesium recently renamed 'EASE' from the former name 'Magnesium Infusion' is very absorptive and will not dry out your skin nor make it tacky or sticky like Ancient minerals topical Mag Oil and other such versions do.

The difference is EASE is made from Magnesium Chloride Hexahydrate .. not just regular Mag Chloride and the Hexahydrate form is apparently much more absorbable. It disappears entirely within 2 minutes after spraying and rubbing in the skin. Really does the trick in raising and maintaining IC mag levels too.

Shannon

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/24/2015 11:31AM by Shannon.
October 23, 2015 05:35PM
"The difference if EASE is made from Magnesium Chloride Hexahydrate .. not just regular Mag Chloride and the Hexahydrate form is apparently much more absorbable. " Not doubting that it is more readily absorbed, however I'm guessing that almost all readily available mag chloride is a hexahydrate (Bischofite <[en.wikipedia.org] ) as that is what is in sea water. Most mag chloride is either extracted from sea water or mined from evaporite deposits that were formed from ancient seas.
October 23, 2015 06:47PM
I too have used the Activation Products -Magnesium Infusion, which is Mag Chloride Hexahydrate, but find it to be fairly expensive. I note that Mag Chloride Hexahydrate can be purchased from several sources on the net at a reasonable cost, but must then be mixed with purified water to dilute it to a safe concentration.

Does anyone know what the proportions should be if one was to make their own solution that is safe for application on the skin?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/23/2015 07:17PM by billk.
October 23, 2015 11:21PM
Bill,

There is a link in this post that talks about topical application of epsom salt <[www.afibbers.org] The same would apply to mag chloride. When I make mag oil from Niagri <[www.naturalimport.com] I use just enough to dissolve the crystals. Which is maybe about a 1:1 measure. If you over do the water, it doesn't matter, it'll still work, just will be a bit more dilute. For example if I add too much water to the Nigari flakes, it doesn't "feel" oily. You can do the same with Epsom salt. In fact those on the autism spectrum do this as they need the sulfate from the Epsom salt.

The stuff Shannon references may have special properties, but, like my experience with oral magnesium, they all work equally well for me in the transdermal realm.

I use the Nigari as it is relatively inexpensive, it works for me, and I had it tested 6 or 7 years ago at a local chem lab. It came out very clean from a heavy metal perspective. The results are posted in the archives here.

George
October 24, 2015 11:38AM
Hi Bill,

The activation products EASE brand is not the cheapest for sure, but works very well in my experience. It is suppose to have 25mg of Magnesium per spray, so it's more concentrated than some of the other brands (possibly reflecting somewhat in the added cost). But send us the sources of other generic mag chloride hexahydrate and I'm sure George or another or our intrepid researchers will figure out how to get 25mg per spray .. though that will depend somewhat too on the spray nozzle and tubing used no doubt when the measuring unit is the amount of mag for each 'spray'.

Many thanks for the heads up Bill and have a nice weekend .. its non-stop writing for me on the AFIB Report.

Cheers!
Shannon

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/24/2015 11:40AM by Shannon.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login