Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Post ablation afibs

Posted by fiat127 
Post ablation afibs
June 21, 2015 05:52PM
Hi,

I am now 2 days after my ablation. A short background about myself: female, 63 yr, with paroxysmal AF every 3-4 weeks for the past year, starting at night, lasting 8-12 hours and ending on its own. I am not taking any medication to control Afib except Eliquis for stroke prevention.

The ablation went without any complications and initially world looked perfect - no chest pain, no groin pain, no tiredness, no afibs, etc. Yesterday evening I started to feel weak Afib that went away in 5 minutes (may have been just PACs). During the night I had two more episodes of Afib. This time they were one hour long, pretty intense, reaching 160 bpm sometimes but ending on their own. My home ECG shows clean NSR when no Afib, around 70 bpm.

I would like to hear from your experience about afibs after ablation, what to expect in the coming days/weeks, do they indicate anything regarding the outcome of ablation, triggers, etc. Any advice is welcome.

Thanks
Re: Post ablation afibs
June 21, 2015 11:09PM
Welcome fiat127 - It's not uncommon to have some activity after the procedure and quite often patients are discharged with some type of medication to help prevent or control this. I'm sure it is unsettling but at least they are ending on their own. What instructions did you receive from your EP when you were discharged about breakthroughs? You should inform him/her about your situation.

Leading up to the ablation, did you learn about and use the essential electrolytes that help regulate NSR such as magnesium and potassium? Most of the readers here focus on getting these from food as well as supplements as typically they do help. If you spend some time reading the posts and topics in the Resources section, you'll find there are many other areas of focus such as controlling silent inflammation, spikes in adrenaline, glucose levels, adequate hydration and avoiding specific triggers well known to stimulate the onset of Afib. Go here: [www.afibbers.org]

My history is a lengthy AF saga that now spans 20 years and I've had three ablations total. First in 2003, second in 2014 and third just 3 months ago April 2015. On the first two, I was discharged with antiarrhythmic drugs and the anticoags. With the third, no drugs other than Eliquis. I didn't experience Afib with the first until 103 days after the procedure. With the second, I had a recurrence a week later in the airport on the way home that was electrocardioverted several days after I arrived home. With the last, thankfully, all was quiet except for some PVC activity.

I've learned that supplementing with the essential electrolytes plus paying strict attention to that which can upset that balance, such as too much calcium, too much sodium, dehydration, stress, certain foods and definitely alcohol, desserts, restaurant and prepared foods can be risky so I've learned which to avoid for my biochemical uniqueness.

If you become very anxious when these breakthroughs begin, consider using the amino acid, L-theanine to help you relax. Often just that is enough to shorten an event. You should be able to find it at any local health food store. I have a short report on the properties and dosing that I can't reproduce here, but if you'd like to read it, send me a PM with your email and I'll send you a copy. I've used this for many years and other afibbers I've worked with find it helps them significantly.

Kind regards,
Jackie
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login