Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Looks like I'm going to need a second procedure

Posted by alangford 
Looks like I'm going to need a second procedure
June 18, 2015 10:33AM
Next week will end the three month blanking period for me. Unfortunately, I'm typing this in afib. I leave for a cardioversion in a hour. I had my ablation done in Dallas TX but the next one will be done in Austin. I've called and left a message at Natale's office and filled out the online request.

Couple questions:

1) Anyone know how far out he is booked typically?

2) How soon after the three months is over will he consider doing a touch-up?

3) Do I have to travel twice (one for consultation and one for procedure) or can it be done in one visit?

Thanks!
Re: Looks like I'm going to need a second procedure
June 18, 2015 09:53PM
Hi, Alangford,

Sorry to hear about your AF at the end of the blanking period. Obviously, you should follow the advice you receive from Dr. Natale's office, but I get the impression that Dr. Natale likes to wait a bit longer before performing another procedure. Of course, much would depend on how your cardioversion goes.

For myself, I went for a consultation, which they require if you are a new patient. My previous ablation was with Dr. Natale in NYC, so I was a "new" patient at Austin. My case is not urgent (my episodes are self converting and the frequency and duration are not increasing at present). But, unless there is some urgency, I know that they usually require a consult in a separate visit from the procedure.

The waiting time for my second procedure, which is coming up in early July, was four months. Again, I know that the office will work hard to accommodate those who are more urgent, and if my situation had changed for the worse they told me to call and they would work to schedule me sooner.

I hope that your cardioversion was successful. There are people on this list who have had problems up to six months and then things went very smoothly after that. It may take a bit more time to see where you stand for the longer term.

Rob
June 19, 2015 08:30AM
Alangford - When I had my first Natale ablation in 2003, I had been off heart meds and coumadin when, at 103 days, post-ablation, I went into Afib.

When I reported that, I was told to come in immediately for an electrocardioversion... they worked me into the schedule... and all was fine after that. No further afib events until around year 4 or 5 when I began having periodic breakthroughs... This was because I had become lax in keeping up with the important electrolytes - magnesium, potassium and taurine, which I dubbed "the Essential Trio."

So if you haven't begun to assess your electrolyte status, you should probably begin because ablations do nothing to restore those levels and a lot of influences deplete them on a daily basis.

I didn't have the second Natale ablation until 11 years after the first so The Strategy worked well for me.

Jackie
June 19, 2015 09:20AM
It may not be until September before there is an opening in Austin, but send me your phone number and we can talk about next stepsons hey will try to work you in sooner, if possible when you are in active AFIB just after blanking period from a prior ablation.

Shannon
June 19, 2015 10:05AM
I was cardioverted yesterday and I'm back in NSR. My EP here in Dallas is switching me from Flecainide to Sotalol. He says the Flecainide, which I've been on for years, has lost it potency.

Jackie -

I've been deligent in taking Magnesium Glycinate every night (400mg). This is the brand I take. I also drink coconut water or V8 along with a banana to maintain potassium levels. I was shocked when they told me my magnessium was low yesterday. That could be what triggered the episode. They treated that too. Guess I'm going to work up to 800mg. I had soft stools at 400mg though.

Shannon -

I messaged you my cell. I look forward to talking with you. Thier office will be calling me back but you're correct, I was told soonest was around September.

I feel so scared and discouraged. I've got to remind myself to go day-by-day and that a second ablation is not uncommon. Patient too. There's going to be a wait to see the best but it will be worth it.
June 19, 2015 10:45AM
Alangford - We know that it can take years to replete intracellular magnesium... and in some individuals, they never do reach optimization so it's an ongoing pursuit of the goal.

I presume the test was from a serum evaluation?

You'll need to start a log or diary and record your intake of all the electrolytes and push to just below bowel tolerance although even with that, you can still be low in magnesium.... and the potassium intake may also be marginal. Bananas while noted to have a decent potassium content, actually aren't useful as they use up magnesium to help metabolize the higher sugar content... same with coconut water... good for potassium, but the sugar content is often very high so it's defeating since you have to drink a lot to reach even the minimal daily requirements for potassium. An organic veggie juice is a good choice rather than one that has added potassium chloride as that can irritate the stomach when you're using large amounts.

After you are settled again, if you want to pursue this, let me know.

Best to you,
Jackie
June 19, 2015 11:20AM
Jackie -

Yes, through serum evaluation.

I do wish to persue. Do you recommend I start with The Strategy?

I didn't realize magnesium was used to process sugar.
June 19, 2015 12:39PM
Alangford - Remember that serum magnesium represents only 1% of total body stores and tells virtually nothing about what's inside heart cells where it functions to keep us in NSR. So, the obvious comment is 'if you're low in serum Mg then you are undoubtedly very low in intracellular Mg.'

As one example, this report confirms the serum magnesium content: [www.medscape.com]

Just the stress alone of having an ablation procedure has to deplete a huge amount of magnesium so it's important to keep supplementing right after ablation to help maintain what's lost from stress and all the chemical exposure.

There are many previous posts on the ExaTest evaluation of intracellular electrolytes and if at all possible, I'd suggest you look into having that test so you know your starting point for all the electrolytes and the important ratios as well.

I'll be glad to communicate with you about beginning with The Strategy and several other important points about stabilizing your electrolytes. I've sent you a PM.

Jackie

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/19/2015 12:42PM by Jackie.
June 19, 2015 03:09PM
I recall reading on the forum that a low serum test meant your intracellular Mg was probably in the toilet too. Wonderful.

I sent you an email.
June 19, 2015 09:42PM
Try not to get discouraged..........you have so many people here cheering for you and on your side.........Shannon and Jackie will give you all of the help you need.........the rest of us will offer you lots of support.

Hopefully the Sotalol will work better. I never got around to trying it but I will tell you that the Flecainide never seemed to help me much. In fact, after several months of it, I believe it caused me problems. I'm wishing you well with the Sotalol.......lots of people have had good success with it.

Best wishes........keep us apprised.

Sincerely,
Ken
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login