Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Cryoablation?

Posted by Mary 
Cryoablation?
June 11, 2015 02:14PM
I recently moved and may be in need of an ablation touchup. My new EP here is talking about doing cryablation instead of the radio frequency type. I read a couple of articles that made it sound like a good alternative. I'd be interested in hearing about anyone's experience with cryo and how it compares to RF. I had my first ablations in Dec. 2102 and Jan. 2013 and went 2+ years without a breakthrough, but I just had my third cardioversion so far this year.
Re: Cryoablation?
June 12, 2015 07:20PM
Mary,

Here is a search on the topic here: <[www.afibbers.org]

George
June 17, 2015 02:09AM
A main advantage to Cryo, is that its less traumatic to the Heart, that is what my EP said.
June 17, 2015 12:28PM
TAF, That's partially true because other risks increase, such as phrenic nerve palsy. Medtronic has been successful in marketing cryoablation as a safer alternative to RF particularly for the younger EP's coming up on the learning curve. Usually, it is offered up as the first option and RF would be used in touch ups. That is because cryo balloon can only address PVI and not other triggers since it lacks navigational flexibility. I think the best option is to find a high volume center with lots of experience in complex AF. They may still recommend Cryo after mapping study as an approach that has a high likelihood of solving the problem. I would be reticent about any EP that offers cryo right off the bat without knowing the patient's history and understanding the likely triggers. The latter would just be acknowledgement that the EP and the center lacks skills and still coming up on learning curve.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login