Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Atrial Fibrillation Care: Put the Catheter (and Rx Pad) Down

Posted by jerrynmn1 
April 19, 2015 05:51PM
Interesting article from Dr. John Mandola, MD (John M. Mandrola, MD is a Clinical Electrophysiologist, Baptist Medical Associates, Louisville, Kentucky
who is also an EP). This is from Medscape.com but you have to be registered (free) with them to view it. The article is below for those who are not registered.

[www.medscape.com]

John MandrolaApril 07, 2015

My approach to patients with atrial fibrillation has changed. Completely and fundamentally. This is a before-and-after moment in AF care.

Before: We saw atrial fibrillation as a disease rather than seeing it as a result of other diseases. That explains why our treatments (drugs and ablation) have performed so poorly. It is a wrong-target problem. It is akin to stenting an artery and saying atherosclerosis is fixed or prescribing an antipyretic for bacterial infection.

After: Atrial fibrillation in the vast majority of patients (excluding those with brief episodes that are a form of focal atrial tachycardia) is a sign that something is awry in the body—usually exposure to an excess. The atria, with their sensitivity to stretch, neural connections, and plastic cells, are a window onto overall health.

Year after year I have watched the drugs fail and the AF return after ablation. It is a relief to (better) understand AF and to be able to cite evidence that supports the concept that the atria fibrillate for a reason. And that reason is the main therapeutic target.

You know the story. A group of researchers in Adelaide have shown—first in animal models[1,2] and now in humans [3,4]—that promoting basic health dramatically improves AF burden. Their methods and results have taught us how AF happens. Although work remains, it is clear that lifestyle diseases, via pressure- and volume-induced atrial stretch, inflammation, or neural imbalances, induce disease in and around the cells of the heart.

The coolest part about these data are that treatment of lifestyle diseases—mostly, the removal of excesses—not only reduces AF burden but also improves the structure of the heart. Even fibrosis (aka scar) can regress, which is a novel way to think about cardiac biology.

This "upstream" approach to AF is no longer a radical idea. Nearly all the leaders in cardiology agree. It changes the way doctors should treat people with AF. Namely, the idea that AF is fixable with rhythm drugs or ablation is as wrong as thinking a stent fixes atherosclerosis or that treating fever cures infection.

Before I go on, let me make a note of caution. I am not saying AF drugs or ablation have no role. They do. But their (much smaller) role now is similar to stents or beta-blockers in patients with coronary artery disease: to stabilize an acute situation or to help transiently restore regular rhythm so that patients can feel well enough to exercise and enjoy life—things that make the atria healthier.

I no longer think of an antiarrhythmic drug as long-term therapy. For instance, I cardiovert and medicate so that patients can feel well enough to exercise every day they eat. I buy time. Then patients can lose weight or address other lifestyle issues, such as sleep disorders, alcohol intake, and perhaps overexercise and overwork. This improves glucose handling, lowers blood pressure, and relieves inflammation. People start to feel better. When they come back for follow-up, I discuss stopping the rhythm drugs—because they have served their adjunctive purpose.

On the matter of stroke risk: think about what it means to improve high blood pressure, diabetes, inflammation, and hyperlipidemia. Now think what it means to do so in millions of people.

You can see how this new approach upends the role of AF ablation. It is one thing to prescribe a pill; it is yet another to deliver 60 to 80 burns to the left atrium. Recall that patients who choose AF ablation walk into the hospital the morning of the procedure. They may not be perfect, they have AF after all, but they are alive and functioning. What awaits them in the EP lab is nothing small. They will endure 2 to 3 hours of general anesthesia, vascular access in both legs, two transseptal punctures, a fluid load, and purposeful damage to the heart done in proximity to the esophagus, phrenic nerve, pulmonary veins, and the thin left atrial appendage.

And . . . that $100 000 procedure, with its (real-world) 5% to 7% risk,[5] often fails. Repeat procedures are required in one of four patients. Even when the procedure is done well, recent research [3] shows that long-term success is fivefold lower when patients do not remove excesses from their lives.

This new approach to patients with AF has significant implications for the cardiology and healthcare community.

Consider those affected:

Hospitals invest in expensive ablation labs. They have banked on the epidemic of new atrial-fibrillation patients who will "need" procedures. Recently, I did a marketing video for my hospital on AF treatment. We filmed in our EP lab, the ablation machines as the backdrop. I was excited to speak about the new discoveries in AF care. But I stammered when the interviewer asked me about the "procedures we do here." I thought to myself: we do procedures here, we do them well, we do them safely, but we are sure to do a lot fewer in the future.

Doctors—like me—have reaped the rewards of AF misthink. We are paid well to do and redo AF ablation. The financial reward for helping people help themselves pales in comparison. Yet I urge you not to blame overtreatment on fee for service. The main reasons doctors overtreat are do-something bias and the disease model of care. First, doing things is what we are taught, and it is what society expects. We might give cursory mention to lifestyle but then we rush to drugs and procedures. Second, the disease model of care tricks us into putting problems—like AF—into silos (cardiac, renal, pulmonary, etc), which we treat in isolation. So ingrained is the silo model that it has been daring to use the word holistic. As if things are not connected in the body.

Workforce needs will be disrupted. A few years ago, cardiology groups and hospitals felt like they needed more electrophysiologists to handle the epidemic of atrial fibrillation. Now it is clear that what we need more of is not people with catheter skills, but people with people skills. The painful truth is that American cities and American hospitals do not need more EP labs.

Policy makers and payers are bound to notice. Think about the billions of dollars spent to care for the millions of patients with AF. Why would any insurer pay for drugs and procedures that are doomed to fail unless lifestyle measures are addressed? I wonder whether this could be the spark that gets payers to see the value of helping people live healthier lives?

Industry will have to adjust. Imagine the boardrooms of pharmaceutical and medical device companies in the past decade: they saw atrial fibrillation as a major opportunity. We will develop drugs, catheters, and mapping systems to treat the millions of afflicted patients. What these companies should see now is that AF drugs and ablation will go the way of renal denervation—useful in very selected cases, but no gold mine.

Patients are most affected by this new discovery. Although there will be small numbers of people afflicted by fluky focal AF (a confusing fact), the vast majority of patients with AF will enjoy the best results when they and their caregivers treat the root causes. From now forward, when a patient with AF sees a doctor who recommends rhythm drugs or ablation without first exploring how that person sleeps, eats, drinks, moves, and deals with stress, it will be a signal to get another opinion. Rushing to drugs or ablation will be as wrong as prescribing antibiotics for a viral infection.

This discovery about atrial fibrillation teaches us that focal (easy) solutions for systemic diseases due to lifestyle are destined to fail. Given the rise of lifestyle-related diseases, this is a critical lesson, one we should learn sooner rather than later.

JMM

References

Abed HS, Samuel CS, Lau DH, et al. Obesity results in progressive atrial structural and electrical remodeling: Implications for atrial fibrillation. Heart Rhythm 2013; 10:90-100. Article

Mahajan R, Brooks AG, Shipp N, et al. AF and obesity: Impact of weight reduction on the atrial substrate. Heart Rhythm Society 2013 Annual Scientific Sessions; May 8-11, 2013; Denver, CO. Abstract YIA-01

Pathak RK, Middeldorp ME, Lau DH, et al. Aggressive risk factor reduction study for atrial fibrillation and implications for the outcome of ablation: the ARREST-AF cohort study. J Am Coll Cardiol 2014; 64:2222-2231. Article

Pathak R, et al. Long-term effect of goal directed weight management in an atrial fibrillation cohort: A long-term follow-up study (LEGACY Study). J Am Coll Cardiol 2015; DOI:101016/jacc.2015.03.002. Abstract

Deshmukh A, Patel NJ, Pant S, et al. In-hospital complications associated with catheter ablation of atrial fibrillation in the United States between 2000 and 2010: Analysis of 93 801 procedures. Circulation 2013; 128:2104-2112. Article

© 2015 WebMD, LLC

Cite this article: Atrial Fibrillation Care: Put the Catheter (and Rx Pad) Down. Medscape. Apr 07, 2015.
Re: Atrial Fibrillation Care: Put the Catheter (and Rx Pad) Down
April 20, 2015 09:11AM
Good Post
April 20, 2015 09:34AM
Thanks, Jerry!

/L
April 20, 2015 02:35PM
Jerry,

It's an interesting article and the theory sounds right for some, but not for me. I've been struggling with lone afib for over 20 years, maybe 25 years. When I was first diagnosed they weren't even doing ablations for it. Over this time I have been healthy, in shape, I work out regularly, I eat healthy and organic, and I drink less than half a glass of wine a day. During the first 10 years of my struggle I took all kinds of rate control drugs, including amioderone. Some of the drugs would work for a while, but eventually they all wore off. The nurses that I would see regularly would always tell me that it would get worse and that eventually I would end up in permanent afib, and I did.

About 12 years ago I learned that there was a specialty called electrophysiology. About then some electrophysiologists were starting to ablate folks that were in permanent afib. Life for me at that time was grim. I had no energy and was depressed about my situation. The first two ablations were not really successful, but they did get me off the bottom of my ordeal and gave me enough energy to realize that this was a serious problem and that I needed the best help available. I learned about Dr. Natale and the two doctors in Bordeaux. I arranged to have an ablation with Dr. Natale in Cleveland. It was like night and day. I did not have afib after that for about 8 years. About 2 years ago afib returned. By this time the discussion focused on the left atrial appendage. Before this time I had never even heard of the LAA. Last November I had a second ablation by Dr. Natale, this time with special attention on my LAA. When I came off Tikosyn after the blanking period I had flutter. I am now scheduled to have Dr. Natale do a touch up next Monday. I'm hoping for the best.

So for me the explanation in the above article would ring true if not for my robust health otherwise. Believe me I wish that I had a choice. I'm not anxious to have yet another ablation, but I am so glad to have Dr. Natale willing to apply all his skill for a fix.

Nick

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/20/2015 02:57PM by Nickmou.
April 20, 2015 03:42PM
Hi all,
I have the same feelings as Nick. I had an ablation with Dr. Pinski at the CC in FL, 2 months ago. I had seen him off and on for more than a decade before deciding on an ablation. I wish I could have( I tried) adjusted my lifestyle to avoid the procedure. I am 70, not overweight, no high BP, exercise 4-5 hours a week, do not drink at all, eat very little meat but lots a fish...yet afib.
So I would like to buy into Dr. J theory, but I am skeptical to say the least
Right now I am on Tikosyn during the healing period and I am hoping to avoid any further procedures. Jim FL
April 20, 2015 04:06PM
Hi Nick - I can certainly relate to your thoughts on having a third ablation. Since the LAA is a complicated area and tissue there is fragile, I can appreciate the delicate touch and skill required to do what's needed without causing functional harm in the area. I had very little if any actual discomfort in the heart area and the major symptom was some shortness of breath which is common.

I'll be watching for you report.

Best to you,
Jackie
April 20, 2015 04:26PM
Hi Jim - My theory for why some of us in the more 'senior' years are unable to sustain NSR in spite of our healthy lifestyles and protocols comes from what my Functional Medicine MD indicated to me a while back when my Afib kicked up again after 11 years post ablation #1. She commented that it's not uncommon for kidney function to be slightly suboptimal as a result of age. For me, and complicating that issue, is the fact that when I was six, I had a severe kidney disorder (glomerulonephritis) and treated by bed rest, medication and a strict no protein diet for 3 months. Doctors I've consulted over the years said I might see complications from that in pregnancy... (that didn't occur)... and in old age.

Well, at 79, I qualify for that label and I'm quite sure that most likely, I am unable to continually optimize my intracellular levels of magnesium and potassium even though I am very mindful of both dietary and supplemental intake. My last Exatest a few years ago indicated that although I was in the normal range, all were in the lowest acceptable number... and that was with all my good protocols. So... that to me indicates kidney dysfunction in hanging on to the critical electrolytes.

Now, of course, the ablation doesn't correct that dysfunction but rather ablates some of the more sensitive cells that cause the Afib flareups. Hopefully, that's the end of them... but I am mindful that magnesium deficiency does allow for formation of fibrotic tissue which separates the cells enough to disrupt or interfere with proper electrical conduction...so I continue to push magnesium and potassium supplements along with lots of potassium-containing foods.

While I certainly didn't relish the thought of having a third ablation, this time after those first few breakthroughs, I knew I wasn't going to be able to tolerate that for any length of time. I hope this one does it.

I hope for you, that your recent activity settles down and you can get off the Tikosyn.

Best to you,
Jackie
April 20, 2015 10:15PM
I don't think Dr. John's comments apply to those who are true lone afibbers. Many came to afib because of their chronic fitness (this actually includes Dr. John, an avid bicyclist).

George
April 21, 2015 08:37AM
Not sure I agree, George.

Think his comments are sufficiently broad to encompass any path to "afib-ness"... whether it's from not doing enough or overdoing, or an inherent defect, or doing or being exposed to the "wrong" things... or even stress... for our particular set of biological components... etc.

The point being: Something's at the root of the prob.

We just haven't totally figured this out... yet.

Cheers to all!

/L
April 21, 2015 06:38PM
I'm so curious about this as well. As someone who is in perfect health, but doesn't chronically work out, but also has a father and uncle (on my moms side) who have afib, I am starting to think mine is genetic, and I am curious what Dr. Mandrola thinks about that. I have tried to reach out to him to no avail.

-Eric
April 21, 2015 07:20PM
Eric,

"I am starting to think mine is genetic"

I'm pretty sure there is a genetic component to mine. Chronic fitness brought me to afib. It increases the risk, but certainly there are those who work out much more than I did that don't get afib, hence the genetic risk thought. I don't have the reference right now, but there was a Cleveland Clinic study in 2003 where they looked at cadavers with and without afib (before they died...). From memory the afibbers had extra "p" cells in the pulmonary veins.

In 2004, I was discussing detailed serum potassium testing with my GP. He said, "I put people into hypokalemia every day (with diuretics) and they don't get afib." My response was the genetic one and he accepted my argument.

George
April 21, 2015 08:01PM
George:

I have always maintained AF has a genetic code, for many of us, my mother had AF, my Aunt as well, I don't know most of my ancestors on my fathers side, so there may be more.

I hope that a cadaver is dead, sorry George couldn't resist, I do have a strange sense of humor.

Liz
April 22, 2015 02:27AM
There is a way to go in understanding the reasons why AF occurs: it is a multifaceted problem so I would be surprised if there was a simple fast answer. That said I follow some of the advice fro Dr John. Will I still have my ablation: yes of course. Will I take other steps to develop a more healthy and balanced lifestyle: yes of course. It may help keep AF at bay and even if it does not will leave me in a more healthy position.
April 22, 2015 09:44AM
At least one factor in the solution undoubtedly lies in determining the genetic flaws involved so prevention through genetic expression can be offered.

But, since ablations offer a solution for so many, it's doubtful any meaningful focus on that research will happen anytime soon because of the cost... but it certainly would reduce the medical expenses involved in treating an afibber from the onset through to whatever endpoint is achieved. Even just having to use Eliquis for a lifetime is very expensive, especially if a person doesn't have insurance.

Still, when one listens to the case as presented for the influence of toxic food, water and environment... one can't help but think that is an equally powerful reason why there are continually escalating occurrences of AF and in increasingly younger populations as well. It could be that those with the genetic weakness are now becoming more vulnerable because of the toxins.

Jackie
April 22, 2015 02:03PM
This is an excellent article in that we are masking and curing the symptoms not the cause! Unfortunately myself included I can not function with that afib burden and I needed help. It didnt matter how I got here.....Im HERE!
I think the "genetic" factor is real in a lot of us. For whatever reason we were going to get afib.
Chronic Fitness - Im in great shape even now as a 53 yr old. Did my early running and weight lifting get me to afib? I dont know maybe. Why is there scarring in my heart?? My BP has always even as a teen been borderline high. My cholesterol has always been borderline high! Thanks Mom and Dad!!! I believe a lot is genetic. Why if my other 9 buddies that were doing the exact same weight lifting, exact same running as me, why do they not have afib?? Yes maybe now as Mandrola says I could stop some alchohol intake, adjust my eating habits, Adjust my stress...........
I appreciate my ablations and how they have helped but to Dr. John's point I fear what the damage done to my heart and your hearts may bring in the future. These burns we get cause more scarring! Scarring is what precipitated your afib to start with. My ablations have been kind of a tail chase. I am better now but even now new little problems seem to "pop" up.
April 22, 2015 08:21PM
OK, I'll bite.

All points are well taken. However, it isn't that easy to find the root cause. If we could find the root cause easily, none of us would be here talking about cures and/or ablations.

After diagnosis, I immediately cut out the commonly known culprits----alcohol, caffeine---gone! I started using my CPAP every night. Thyroid function in range. Over the next year, I tried everything I possibly could to get my heart to stay in rhythm. Tikosyn, Flecainide, Metoprolol-----visiting multiple heart doctors. I tried every supplement anyone suggested. No effect. Afib burden continued to grow.....until at the end, I was almost constantly in afib.

I had my Natale ablation 1/27/15 so it has been almost 3 months. I thank God every day for leading me to this forum and getting the information and guidance from the many wonderful people here.

Having the ablation has lifted a terrible emotional burden from me at age 52. I've always exercised regularly throughout my life and the thought of graduating to CHF at too young of an age was a scary thing for me. Things are going well for me since ablation and I feel like I've been given a second chance.

Genetics? Yes, both parents had afib so I guess I was predisposed.

So......I tried desperately to identify the root cause and have a positive influence on my afib......maybe I simply didn't have the right formula.......but all I can say is that I gave it 100%. I still have not had a single drop of alcohol since afib diagnosis. While I was in the trenches fighting this beast, I gave it my all. Ablation was my last hope......and thank God, it appears to be a success at this point. Again, I'm so thankful. I would have preferred to have solved my problem without ablation, but absent that ability, I took the leap. Will the scar tissue from the ablation cause me trouble way down the road? Unknown, but what I do know is that I am 100% better today and completely in NSR. I'll have an Echo in early June to see if my ejection fraction has recovered from its depressed level due to the exacerbated time I was spending in afib----I'll report it here after the test.

Best wishes to all.
Ken
April 23, 2015 02:21PM
Genetics, genetics, that is what it is all about, I have a neighbor who drinks everyday and is a smoker, she is 53 no AF. All of the people I know do not have AF, yet they break all the rules which we think is causing our AF.

All of this Potassium to salt ratio, supplements just isn't doing it, in fact I don't know if anyone has seen the article about supplements that they can actually cause cancer and heart problems, I am not sure as to how reilable the study was, I have read that they did the study with supplements that were not natural supplements.

Liz
April 23, 2015 03:33PM
Hi Tim - I agree with you about ablations not addressing the root cause of AF as I’ve been beating that drum for a very long time here on the forum since that was one of my initial concerns because I never, ever wanted an ablation. Being a gun-shy victim of unnecessary surgeries foist on me (the compliant, trusting, unsuspecting patient) in years prior to the onset of Afib compelled me to always learn viable options and core causes that might be remedies without resorting to drugs or surgery.

However, even though I was able to go from near permanent afib in 2003 to zero events (facilitated by natural interventions), maintained by only 50 mg of flecainide, I didn’t have enough time to wean more slowly off the drug and my insurance then was at risk of being cancelled due corporate change. So, I kept my Nov. 2003 date with Dr. Natale and I have been grateful for a mostly peaceful heart for 11 years. When we become virtually disabled from Afib for a prolonged period of time, a safe and successful ablation is a welcome change and I’ll readily be the first to acknowledge that.

However, as my response earlier in this thread and others indicates, there is a lot of investigatory work that could and should be ongoing such as studying the genetic links, dietary deficiencies and environmental influences but chances are that isn’t likely to happen given the standards of the current medical treatment model and that's truly unfortunate. Thus, Dr. Mandrola’s thinking is refreshing.

Before the 2003 ablation, I struggled for 8 years but never found much that made a difference until I was guided to this forum in 2002 (I think) and learned much more about natural interventions and focusing on the importance of optimizing magnesium and potassium that were never mentioned by the cardiologists I consulted up to that point. In fact, they still aren’t interested in testing properly for magnesium deficiency – one of the known causes of cardiac fibrosis which causes the electrical conduction interference in heart tissue.

Fibrosis is reversible over time and with intracellular magnesium repletion. This is of key importance to those of us (ablatees) because fibrosis formation is a natural body response and we need to be aware of why and what helps prevent the recurrence or face more ablations. As we age, it becomes even more critical.

The year after my ablation, it probably wasn’t by chance that I attended a Summit for Electrophysiologists on Atrial Fibrillation (2004) held here in Cleveland (Ohio) where I heard presenter David Van Wagoner, PhD discussing cardiac fibrosis and as a result, I wrote Conference Room 24 offering fundamental information that all afibbers… current or former…. need to keep foremost in their minds to help prevent recurrence.

Dr. Mandrola does us a favor to remind that the basics should be not only emphasized initially, but also never to become complacent and slack off because most likely and attributable to a genetic influence, we (afibbers) are prone to or are more susceptible to fibrosis formation than others who are less health-conscious than we, afibbers, tend to be (and we all know plenty of those examples). It likely is rooted in the inability to hang on to magnesium and probably potassium adequately and that very well could be genetic. But, that said and as we know… “we don’t have to be held hostage to our genes” because we do have control over genetic expression. (Thank you, Bruce Lipton, PhD)

Following are a few clips as samples from CR 24 as reminders about magnesium, oxidative stress damage and the fibrosis issue. If you haven’t read both CR 24 and 75, both are outstanding in relevant information that will help maintain NSR.

Happy reading and NSR to all,
Jackie

Cardiac Fibrotic Remodeling – The Role of Fibrosis in LAF

INTRODUCTION

Atrial fibrosis – is it simply the result of AF which then causes more episodes or might it be that fibrotic remodeling as a
result of aging leads to AF?

Or is the natural decline of fibrolytic enzymes at fault? Further, might we consider the oxidative stress connection? And
let’s also examine the evidence suggesting the pro-fibrotic effects of magnesium deficiency.

These questions were posed to me by Erling Waller ex-afibber (75) who thinks there may be a connection. His afib
began at 64 and then 10 years later, after some nutritional adjustments, his AF vanished. (See his story in Hans’ book.)
Erling has been a regular and prolific contributor of important information and was always generous with his time and
support to help others seeking answers. He continues to ponder the origin of AF and finds the fibrosis remodeling
connection not only intriguing but also plausible. Erling is tackling another remodeling project at the moment and asked
me to present this topic to the BB.

Interrelated factors in the “Fibrotic Remodeling Theory”
I. Fibrosis mechanism
II. Mechanisms of AF
III. Inflammation and C-reactive Protein
IV. Oxidative Stress and Nitric Oxide/Peroxynitrite production
V. Magnesium deficiency

II. MECHANISMS: ATRIAL FIBRILLATION
AF is a progressive disease; numerous lines of evidence suggest that disease progression results from cumulative
electrophysiological and structural remodeling of the atria.(5) Ongoing events coupled with fibrotic remodeling
perpetuate longer episodes. (4)

In many patients, AF begins with short episodes, typically characterized as "palpitations" (a fluttering sensation in the
chest), or "paroxysms."

Over time, there is a tendency for these episodes to become longer. Why does this happen? Once AF has been
initiated, the atria undergo a process known as "remodeling." (1)
Structural changes: (remodeling) In time, afib that persists for years, is also accompanied by significant degenerative
structural changes. (1)

• Individual muscle cells within the fibrillating atria tend to become elongated and sometimes wider. AF-induced atrial
remodeling causes both structural and electrical changes(1)

• Fibrosis: In addition, the space between individual myocytes typically becomes more fibrotic, with fatty infiltration, and
the atria is less able to contract. (1)

Electrical changes: (remodeling)
• Fibrillating atria tend to have more complicated patterns of electrical activity. This is due both to the increased fibrosis,
and to intrinsic changes in the electrical activity in the atrial myocytes. Research at the CCF has helped to characterize
the electrical remodeling process associated with long-standing AF. (1)

• The net result is that in patients with persistent AF, the atria are more able to sustain fibrillatory activity, due to the
combined effects of both structural and electrical remodeling. (1)

Atrial Electrical Remodeling (sustains afib) Refer to the video web page.
• The net result of the electrical and structural changes is that the enlarged atria are more likely to sustain fibrillatory
activity. Thus, AF can persist for a longer duration in the remodeled atria. (1)

• Calcium ions have an important role in both the electrical and contractile activity of the heart. Thus, calcium overload
is implicated as an early event in the electrical remodeling process. (1)

• Persistent AF results in further changes in protein expression, loss of myofibrillar structure, and eventually myocyte
death and replacement fibrosis. (1)

Atrial Structural Remodeling
The fibrillating atria are subjected to continuous, high rate electrical activity (with rates up to 500 per minute). This
results in impaired atrial contractility, and the initiation of structural changes. (Be sure to look at the picture of a heart
exhibiting AF-induced fibrosis and the stained fibrotic-tissue studies.) (1)

• At the macroscopic level, structural remodeling is frequently characterized by increased atrial fibrosis and fatty
infiltration, both on the endocardial surface, and between muscle bundles. (1)

• At the microscopic level, fibrosis can isolate muscle bundles. (1)

• (Key Point) It is evident that fibrosis can isolate muscle bundles and that this can alter the pathway of electrical
activation, creating a substrate that can promote the persistence of atrial fibrillation. (1)

Then... continue on to item V. Magnesium deficiency.
[www.afibbers.org]

In 2012, an outstanding elaboration on CR 24 was offered (CR 75). It’s worth going to both CR sessions and learning about cardiac fibrosis and related issues that can and do continue even after a successful ablation because fibrosis formation is part of a natural, protective process in the body and it’s good to understand that and the preventive measures that lower formation.

CONFERENCE ROOM Session 75
August 17 – December 2, 2012
Afib and Cardiac Fibrosis

Part 1 – Atrial Fibrosis and the Mechanism of Atrial Fibrillation
[www.nbi.nlm.nih.gov]

Heart Rhythm 2007 March; 4(3 Suppl): S24–S27.
Atrial Fibrosis and the Mechanisms of Atrial Fibrillation
Thomas H. Everett IV, PhD and Jeffrey E. Olgin, MD
From the Division of Cardiology and the Cardiovascular Research Institute University of California
San Franci sco, San Francisco, California

Abstract
Atrial fibrillation (AF) is so commonly associated with congestive heart failure (CHF), and CHF has been shown to be associated with atrial structural remodeling resulting in fibrosis. This atrial interstitial fibrosis has been seen in patients with CHF and animal models of pacing induced heart failure. With atrial fibrosis, conduction abnormalities result in an increase in AF vulnerability. The mechanisms of AF that is associated with CHF is still under debate as both focal and reentrant mechanisms have been observed in animal models of CHF. However, recent studies utilizing frequency domain analysis have shown that the AF within this model is characterized by discrete stable, high-frequency areas. The precise signaling processes involved in the development of atrial fibrosis are unknown. Angiotension appears to play some role, since inhibition of ACE (or ARcool smiley blunt atrial fibrosis in animal models of heart failure and decrease the incidence of AF in patients with heart failure. TGFβ1 also seems to play an important role. Mouse models that overexpress TGFβ1 have profound atrial fibrosis and atrial fibrillation (with normal ventricles. Heart failure in canine models is also produces increases in atrial TGFβ1 expression and inhibition of this prevents atrial fibrosis and the development of a substrate for atrial fibrillation. Atrial fibrosis appears to play a role in the development of a vulnerable substrate for AF, especially in the setting of CHF.
Erling

As has been reviewed in various posts, an abundance of science exists supporting the fact that cardiac fibrosis contributes to arrhythmia. If cardiac fibrosis forms in the ventricles, it can be lethal. The formation is probably not exclusively selective for atrial tissue so it's something not to be taken lightly. Science also supports that magnesium deficiency as well as excessive exposure to free-radical damage (ROS) is commonly associated with the genesis of fibrosis.

Fibrosis interference with electrical conduction is examined in numerous reports looking at gap-junction function and the cell-to-cell communication disrupted by the presence of fibrosis. Fibrotic interference in terms of electrical conduction (voltage) throughout the body is observed in various conditions involving the vast system of the fascia and connective tissue. Fibrotic connective tissue proliferation becomes part of the aging process. Tissues in some individuals age faster than in others.

While the etiology of fibrosis and understanding the fibrotic process, itself, is certainly important to understand, it’s also important to recognize the need for preventive measures so that fibrosis is less likely form in the first place. Preventive guidelines typically address antioxidant therapy as important but emphasis on magnesium optimization is not common advice.

While not in this review, consideration should also be given to the extensive findings relating fibrotic formations, hypertension and kidney function involvement with aldosterone or angiotension II and the malfunction of the matrix-metallo protein (MMP) system which impacts multiple organ function including the heart. Also not in this review is the impact of oxidative stress injury and resultant cardiac fibrosis in endurance athletes. Many facets of fibrosis to consider.

Recognition that cardiac fibrosis is not something to be ignored is supported in a recent study published in the American Journal of Cardiovascular Disease (2011)

Targeting cardiac fibrosis: a new frontier in antiarrhythmic therapy?

Key-point review follows. This report indicates a need to address fibrosis accumulations as a preventive treatment for arrhythmia and suggests that pharmaceuticals should be developed in addition to those currently available.

While we wait for various new pharmaceutical interventions that inhibit fibrosis formation to be formulated, tested, and receive FDA approval, it makes sense to consider the potential for preventing fibrosis formation in the first place by making sure that our intracellular stores of magnesium are optimal as verified by Exatest, evaluation of existing oxidative stress values and evaluation of critical antioxidants levels that, when missing, allow for inflammation and fibrotic accumulations. Example: deficiency of (antioxidant) glutathione allows for increased lung inflammation and resultant fibrosis.

Additionally, those of us who like to take an active-participation role in personal health management aimed at prevention can consider the use of proteolytic and fibrinolytic enzymes to help break up and dispose of fibrin deposits. Since we have the study showing that Nattokinase degrades Amyloid plaques in brain tissue of Alzheimer patients, those of us using NK and other systemic enzymes such as serrapeptase or the stronger, lumbrokinase, can take comfort in knowing that we are doing good things for our brain, heart, cardiovascular system and undoubtedly, many other organs prone to fibrosis as well if we choose to be our own health advocates and experiment.

What can be more significant than degrading brain plaque? If our hearts happen to benefit as well, it’s a win/win all around.

Jackie

(continue at the CR 75 )
April 23, 2015 06:31PM
CR 75 lots to read, a lot of back and forth between Jackie, Erling and EB. There is no evidence of clinical trials proving actual reversing Cardiac Fibrosis (if possible) will eliminate lone AF. Also, many people with fibrotic hearts don't go arrihythmic, also, ablations don't remove fibrosis. If one has Fibrosis, how Is it detected

Liz
April 23, 2015 11:00PM
After a significant amount of afib early on (first 4 1/2 months, afib burden was about 57%), including a 2 1/2 month episode, I've been fortunate to keep afib mostly in remission for 10 1/2 years. When I first was able to stay in NSR for 2 years, I deluded myself into thinking I'd reversed many of the causative factors. Because I thought I was reacting to the fillers in my electrolyte supplements, I quit them. Afib quickly visited - within 24-48 hours. This disabused me of the idea I'd actually reversed it. I've not repeated the experiment since...

If I'm fortunate enough to keep my streak going till I pass (afib burden last 23 months 0.007%), I'm pretty sure I'll be consuming large quantities of mag (and potassium & taurine) till the end.

George
April 24, 2015 06:10PM
A quick word here a few keep mentioning, but this idea that folks with a skilled ablationist behind the catheters should fret greatly about the ablation scars somehow causing some major damage to your heart function off in the distant future is a theory skating on very thin ice.

In short, the evidence so far shows just the opposite, and instead shows that cardiac function from a successful PVAI process increased cardiac function across the board within a year after NSR is re-established.

The truth is the vast majority of ablation scars in most procedures are laid down over non-contractual atrial tissue that is morphologically, histologically and embryological similar to pulmonary vein antral tissue that has little to no impact on cardiac function.

Yet, when a person chooses to forgo an expert ablation with it's largely controlled and deliberate ablation lesion areas, due to a highly speculative and completely unproven fear of projected and very poorly defended 'great harm sure to befall us down the road' idea, they often are thus inadvertently saying 'YES, I choose instead almost certain random spread of fibroic scar throughout the left and right atrium in predictably non-uniform or non-contained patterns of spread and often across areas more involved with atrial contraction'. ... just to keep it real.

As such, better to think of the analogy of the forest service using a smaller and defined controlled burn to prevent a full blown uncontrolled forest fire from erupting when it comes to clearer thinking about the benefit/risk equation when considering the very modest risks with a top quality ablation expert vs. really rolling the dice with accepting full speed remodeling, even if inadvertently and unknowingly, by sticking with drugs that are no longer working very well, for example while still having too much arrhythmia burden month in and month out.

Shannon

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 04/29/2015 01:20PM by Shannon.
In her post Jackie referred to CR Session 75 which cites a 2011 presentation at the European Society of Cardiology Congress in Paris, France [spo.escardio.org]

Proarrhythmic potential of fibrosis
Clinic Barcelona Hospital Universitari

Some noteworthy presentation slides:

3 There are 2 important things in arrhythmology:
The first one is fibrosis, and I do not remember 'de second.

Modified from Woody Allen

4 What do we call fibrosis?
-- Excessive collagen deposition.

5 The collagen network of the normal heart:
-- provides support.
-- maintains myocardial structure.
-- sustains the transmission of force.

6 Figure 1 [factors that stimulate fibroblast cells to produce excessive collagen and AF]

7-8 Etiology of fibrosis:
-- Reactive fibrosis: Secondary to overload, stretching. (No myocyte necrosis? Potential reversibility?)
-- Reparative fibrosis Induced by myocyte necrosis, apoptosis (no reverseability)
-- Multiple etiologies create different substrates and produce different pictures at the myocardium, and may coexist in the same heart.
-- Permanent arrhythmia creates fibrosis by itself, as in permanent AF.

9 Types of fibrosis [MRI images]

12 Collagen fibers in AF [MRI images comparing NSR normal collagen and AF fibrosis]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login