Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Magnesium for AFIB with low heart rate

Posted by safib 
Magnesium for AFIB with low heart rate
March 02, 2015 03:10PM
My EP told me that supplementing with Magnesium was not a good idea for my AFIB since it can slow the heart rate and provide more opportunity for onset. Although Magnesium may increase the refractory interval, the combined effect (refractory interval x heart rate) may still decrease. I had not heard this before but it seems to make sense. I have however seen some cautions about Magnesium supplementation with true Bradycardia. In my case, I have cut back from 600 to 300 mg daily (Magnesium glycinate), and it does seem to have had a positive effect. However, my AFIB is somewhat unusual (I believe) in that it occurs more regularly (daily even) but for short intervals (few minues). My HR is mid to upper 40's, and does not get above 120 in AFIB.

It seems this might be an issue when AFIB occurs in trained individuals or who otherwise have low heart rate, which I think is a significant part of the population. Is this view well known? Does anyone have similar experience?
Re: Magnesium for AFIB with low heart rate
March 02, 2015 03:55PM
I have heart rates in the 50's during the day, 40's while asleep. I've supplemented with magnesium for over 10 years and I've yet to see it slow my heart rate. Early on, I used 1.2 g/day, more recently it is 4-5g/day of mag. I'm vagal. I came to be blessed with afib due to chronic fitness. I used to do high altitude endurance races. I gave up endurance training but remain active. For example I skied over 50,000 vertical ft/day on the double black steeps on two days last week. The other days I skied a more normal 22-24,000/day on easier slopes as I was skiing with others. The mag keeps me in remission. If my electrolytes get out of balance, then vagal triggers can be an issue for me. From what I've observed, it is not absolute rate that is at issue it is the vagal/sympathetic balance. For example, eating something very cold. Another example is the very vagal time after orgasm. The heart rate is dropping very fast, but is not low on an absolute basis. Again, when electrolytes are out of balance, these times can be a trigger. When they are in balance - for me lots of mag, some potassium and little calcium - these triggers do absolutely nothing to upset NSR.

My advice to myself it, if it isn't working, try something different. What works with me may be different with you. If cutting the mag helps, great. You could also try more and see if anything changes.

Good Luck!

George
March 03, 2015 10:24AM
Safib:

Do you have true Bradycardia, or is it due to being cardiovascularly trained? I think that would be a big factor in your concern.

I have heard this too from an EP Doctor, but he was referring to Patients with true Bradycardia, not ones being Cardiovascularly trained.

Sounds like an trumped up excuse for a Dr. to get you on regular hard-core Anti-Arythmics or get an Ablation, and not have to deal with the prospect of the Patient finding an easy way out of the condition, before the Dr./Medical industry has had a chance to profit off of the Patient.
March 03, 2015 11:11PM
The Anti-Fib:

Is there a way to tell true Bradycardia from being cardiovascular trained?
March 04, 2015 08:27AM
Paulie,

Do you exercise a lot?

Do you have symptoms? <[www.mayoclinic.org]
Do you have any of these conditions? <[www.mayoclinic.org]

If you exercise or have exercised a lot in the past and have no symptoms, I would suggest you don't have a problem. On the other hand, some who have exercised a lot can have long pauses in their heart rate. These pauses can be an issue.

George
March 04, 2015 10:29AM
I exercise a reasonable amount. But I don't think I have any of those symptoms or conditions.
March 05, 2015 04:05AM
Paulie:

In addition to the good advice given by George, I would ask that to a Cardiologist, maybe there's something they can look for on an EKG, or Echo. I would also make sure you ask that to a Dr. who is slowing down and really listening to you. I once had an EP Dr. try to tell me to get a Pacemaker for my Bradycardia, not realizing I had a low HR, due to training.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login