Welcome to the Afibber’s Forum
Serving Afibbers worldwide since 1999
Moderated by Shannon and Carey

Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

DHA or EPA - Which is Better for Afibbers?

Posted by tvanslooten 
DHA or EPA - Which is Better for Afibbers?
February 16, 2015 12:34AM
Like many of you here, I've been taking fish oil supplements for years. I usually take about 4 grams per day. I take Dr. Sears OmegaRX. It's expensive but in my opinion it's worth it because it's pure and has zero fish oil smell and you don't get burps from it.

Recently I added some of Dr. Sinatra's products to the mix and he uses Calamarine in his omega products, which has a much higher DHA to EPA ratio.

I respect both of these guys but at the end of the day both are hawking their own supplements so who do you trust? Here is a compelling article Dr. Sears wrote about why EPA is superior to DHA (for cellular inflammation):

[www.drsears.com]

I couldn't find any articles by Dr. Sinitra on his thoughts on DHA other than what he says on his product sales page:
[www.drsinatra.com]

I also found this interesting article on DHA vs. EPA (and how DHA is supposedly better). Please note, she too is hawking her own supplement (which of course is rich in DHA):

[www.newportnaturalhealth.com]

So my fellow afibbers, what do you think? Is it better to have more DHA or EPA? Both sides of the argument make sense. I'm inclined to just try to get an equal amount of both and calling it day...but proponents of both sides of the argument say you want more of one than the other - not equal amounts.

I'm just trying to figure out if it makes sense to stick to old fashioned fish oil with a higher EPA ratio or shift to more Calamarine products with a higher DHA ratio as a means to manage my afib and overall cardio health.

Travis
Re: DHA or EPA - Which is Better for Afibbers?
February 16, 2015 10:17AM
The point Sinatra makes is that, baring some unforeseen enzyme disfunction, most people can endogenously convert DHA into EPA that is needed on demand, where the reverse is not true EPA doesn't easily convert to DHA, if at all. Thus is one takes a product with light amounts of DHA, which not surprisingly is the more expensive fraction since it is typically the lesser amount by a good margin in most Omega 3 products, then its quite possible that any person taking it could wind up with less DHA than they need for good brain and eye health as well as other benefits DHA provides.

The question is can DHA convert to enough levels of EPA to exert a strong anti-inflammatory effect that Dr Sears highlights is a feature of EPA? What I do it take the Calamarine in 1.5 gram dose in the morning which has about 500mg of DHA and 50mg of EPA per capsule, and then take in the evening a 1 to 1.5 gram dose of a Omega 3 with a high dose of EPA but still a modest amount of DHA as well. Hedge your bets is what I say.

Both EPA and DHA them have significant benefits, but that fact that most of us can convert DHA into EPA helps insure that way for most of us a solid level of EPA in any event. But you dont want to short change yourself on direct DHA either.

Shannon
February 16, 2015 10:21AM
Reliable brands of Liquid Omega 3’s are those labeled as pure, molecularly distilled… and include Nordic Naturals, Carlson’s – There are also encapsulated products that include a blend of the n3’s ALA, EPA, DHA and also the GLA which is the n6.

For heart function and protection, it’s better to have a higher EPA count than DHA. The one I’ve used for years is almost twice the EPA as DHA.

Barry Sears, PhD is considered one of the top researchers for fatty acids. He says:
In the Omega 3’s – the EPA is anti-inflammatory and the DHA – supports the brain.
Fish oil crosses the Blood Brain Barrier

Daily Dosing: Total EPA/DHA Omega 3 Fish oil.

2.5 grams for Wellness – Omega 3 and a TBS of cod liver oil

5 gms daily to improve heart function and if diabetic

7.5 grams – to reduce pain and inflammation

10 – 25 grams for neurological diseases.

We must test for AA/EPA ratio…. which should be 1.5 and 3 respectively….Called Isolated Plasma Phospholipids.
To use fish oils in elevated doses, it is important to do testing. This is not a guessing game. It will take 7 – 14 days to make a biochemical difference and this is a lifetime commitment…the taking of Omega 3 fish oils.

Borage oil is a toxic nutrient as it goes right to AA…the very thing we are trying to avoid.

(aside)
1. Omega-3 fatty acids reduce inflammation, omega-6 increase inflammation.

2. Omega-3 fatty acids are antithrombotic, omega-6 increase blood clotting.

3. Omega-3 are non-immunoreactive, omega-6 are immunoreactive.

-- Flaxseed oil contains alpha-linolenic acid but no EPA and DHA. 1

-- Fish oil contains primarily EPA and DHA

Jackie
February 17, 2015 11:22PM
And should it be noted that a high dose of omega 3's may not be appropriate for those on blood thinners? If true, how high is too high?

Barb
February 20, 2015 12:06PM
Is there any evidence of fish oil leading to PACs? As Shannon rightfully told me, PACs tend to come in clumps at least post-ablation (hope I didn't misread you there, Shannon - at least that appears to be true in my case). I am not sure if this was just a coincidence but when I stopped taking a daily 2g fish oil tablet containing 800mg EPA and 400mg DHA, my PAC 'clump' frequency declined a lot (like now months between occurrences)
February 20, 2015 02:12PM
Barb - as I mentioned in an earlier post, I initially lowered my 4 - 6 grams daily down to 2 grams when I began Eliquis as I was not sure and couldn't find either cautions or dosing advice. After 5 months at the lower daily intake, I began to notice many of my old complaints returning, so I'm now taking 4 grams a day and as far as I know, at least for me, it's not detrimental.

AFhound 99 - several years ago, I seem to recall some discussions about fish oils causing PAC activity and the conversation was about the potential for Omega 3 fish oil capsules to become rancid... and unless you open the caplets, to detect a fishy odor, there is no way to know. For that reason, we decided back then, it's better to use the liquid Omega 3 fish oils from the reliable processors such as Carlson's, Natural Factors and Nordic Naturals because when you open the bottle, you'll know right away if it's oxidized (rancid) by the odor. These oils should have no taste other than the ones that add a hint of lemon or orange flavor. Definitely, no fishy taste or odor.

Consider the rancidity factor when you relate PACS to Omega 3 fish oil intake.

Jackie
February 23, 2015 08:58PM
Thanks for the response everyone.

Jackie - glad you mentioned the AA/EPA ratio testing. I had mine done a month ago and I was just above 3 - so not terrible but not ideal either. Then I went on Eliquis and had to back off my fish oil. I'll resume my 4-5 grams of daily fish oil once I'm off Eliquis.

Travis
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login