Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Antibiotics cause afib - are there any that don't

Posted by Theresau 
Antibiotics cause afib - are there any that don't
December 18, 2014 05:08AM
I am having one of my worst flu experience in 15 years.

I feel certain I am now having bacterial issues and would like to go to urgent care.

However I need to know an antibiotic that won't cause arrythmia.

I contacted my local CVS and they did not. I have a call into my electrophysiology st too.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/24/2014 10:38AM by Hans Larsen.
Anonymous User
Re: Antibiotics cause afib - are there any that don't
December 18, 2014 05:18AM
Hello Theresau. Reactions to antibiotics are highly individual. That is, antibiotics that cause afib episodes in one person may or may not have that effect on other people. I can tell you what antibiotics i have used that did not cause me to have afib episodes, but there is no guarantee that they will not do so when introduced to someone else's body.

Best of luck to you, please tell us how this comes out.

PeggyM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/24/2014 10:38AM by Hans Larsen.
December 18, 2014 05:51AM
Thx Peggy.

Which have you used?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/24/2014 10:39AM by Hans Larsen.
December 18, 2014 07:52AM
I have taken MANY Antibiotics in my AFIB days and none ever caused me to go into AFIB. That includes Cipro,Amoxicillan etc

December 18, 2014 09:04AM
Theresau - antibiotics typically aren't prescribed for flu as the a/b aren't effective for viral infections... but they can assist with flu complications going on behind the scenes... check out this report...
[www.webmd.com]

Sorry you are suffering. Consider supplementing with high dosing of vitamin C - sodium ascorbate... and if you can get the Liposomal Vitamin C from LivOn Laboratories, you can take a high dose equivalency without bowel issues that typically accompany high dosing with regular vitamin C. You can order directly from LivOn labs and have it on hand to use as you are recovering from the flu aftermath. [livesuperfoods.com]

Other natural antimicrobials such as capsules of Oil of Oregano and Grapefruit Seed Extract can assist any Rx drugs prescribed to aid in a speedy recovery.

I certainly hope you have a quick turn-around.

Jackie

Anonymous User
December 24, 2014 08:40AM
I answered this post a couple of days ago but that post must have been kidnapped by the computer gremlins. O well.

I have taken about every antibiotic drug known to medical science, except for penicillin, to which i am allergic so i do not take that one, or any related drug. You can tell the penicillin family of drugs by the drug name, if it ends in the suffix -cillin, it is one of that family of drugs. They are excellent for people who are not allergic to them, but they are not safe for me to take any more. I cannot remember all the antibiotic names any more, except for the more recent ones, the ones within the last approximately 20 years. During that more recent time i have taken cipro once or twice, azithromycin several times, and since azithromycin has now been used a whole lot and some organisms have seemingly become resistant to it, twice i have been prescribed levoquin. Azithromycin does not give me afib episodes, nor does cipro, but levoquin does. I would not take it but the bronchitis/pneumonia i had was killing me so i took the levoquin. I can convert afib episodes with ativan, but this respiratory stuff takes my breath away. Much more of that business will bring everything to a halt. Better levoquin than a funeral, i think. I do know well that i will not live forever, but for the most part life is still sweet to me and i will keep it while that stays true.

PeggyM

December 24, 2014 12:43PM
Peggy - are you keeping tabs on your vitamin D levels? It's well known that as we age, we are often far less likely to be out in natural sun accumulating the vitamin D benefits via skin exposure and supplementation becomes critically important... especially during the winter months for those of us living in the northern latitudes where sunshine is scarce and we typically aren't out with exposed skin when it is sunny.

I've written past posts about my history of testing very low (18) and the fact that it took considerably time to reach the optimal levels recommended for health maintenance and to be in a preventive mode as well.

Typically, daily doses are recommended at 2,000 IU of Vitamin D 3 - cholecalciferol... but I found that even 5,000 a day didn't budge my test numbers...and it wasn't until I was taking 10,000 a day that I made any progress. I certainly felt better as the test numbers elevated as well. I typically find that around 65 - 70 is where I feel best... and that has allowed me to be free of colds or flu for 14 seasons... starting now on #15.

25 Hydroxy D levels (Vitamin D)

<50 ng/ml - Deficient
50-70 ng/ml - Optimal
70 - 100 ng/ml - Treat Cancer and Heart Disease
>100 ng/ml - Excess

[multiply ng/ml by 2.5 to convert to nmol/litre]

Along with the high dosing of D3, I also use the Vitamin K2 MK7 form 200 - 400 mcg daily so that circulating calcium is directed into bone cells where it belongs and not in soft tissue. My bone density is good and in range for my age so it's a win/win.

Easy to order from iHerb and most local healthfood and drug stores have it as well.

Be well,
Jackie
December 28, 2014 01:46PM
Good Post Jackie,

Just a quick adder here regarding the fat soluble Vitamin D3 and, indeed all four fat soluble vitamins including A, D, E and K2 that people will get far better absorption and assimilation of these nutrients either in food or, especially as supplemental intake, to take all of those fat soluble vitamins with the largest meal of the day containing a good deal of preferably healthy fats.

Many people who have a hard time getting their 25(OH)D3 serum levels, which is the blood test to follow and adjust one's Vitamin D levels and dosage with, up into the sweet spot of between a range of 50 to 80g/ml .. I like to shoot for a maintenance blood level of 70g/ml to 75ng/ml and titrate my dose based on periodic 25(OH)D3 blood tests, typically twice a year at end of summer and end of winter roughly until finding the dose and time of day consumption to achieve a consistent target optimal sweet spot blood level and then typically once a year to year and a half is sufffcient to insure staying in a good range.

It really can make a huge difference for many people to take all of these 4 important nutrients with a good deal of fat in the meal.

Shannon
December 28, 2014 03:27PM
Yes, Shannon - good reminder tip about consuming with a fat containing meal.

I take my fat-soluble nutrients along with the morning dose of Omega 3 essential fatty acids and make sure that I have a healthy fat with breakfast and if that falls short, I eat a large spoonful of almond nut butter, expeller-pressed coconut oil or half an avocado. I also add in Coenzyme Q10 because it likes to ride along on fat as well.

Jackie
January 03, 2015 02:02PM
I have not even bothered to read the other responses as I wanted you to know the recent experience that I had personally. I have a bad chest/sinus infection with a productive cough (wow). Family physician put me on Penicillin VK 300 mg. tid. Did not seem to be working so he changed to over to another antibiotic. Felt pounding in my chest on the second day so I stopped taking it. Looking it up in the drug interaction table online and it is contraindicated in conjunction with TIKOSYN in big red letters and a red stop sign. Went back on Amoxycillin 500 mg t.i.d. and it seems to be working albeit slowly. Here's the issue at hand.... quite simply. Pharmacists and family physicians are not always completely up to date with regards to your medications.... the issue with the AVELOX that gave me trouble was simple. It lengthened the Qt interval of my heartbeat, same as the TIKOSYN I was taking. A DEADLY COMBINATION. I was lucky. So.... when prescribed ANY medication, if you have AFIB, you should really speak with your pharmacist directly and get a finite answer ("I don't know" does not cut it). I'd also call my cardiologist's office to inquire. The very last thing you want is to be taking a medication like TIKOSYN that lengthens the Qt interval in its effort to create NSR and top that off with something like AVELOX (or any of the other myriad of antibiotics that do the same thing) that will FURTHER lengthen your Qt interval. This is a deadly prescription for heart failure and dropping dead. I was lucky. I was stupid in not checking and it will not happen again. There is much to be said for Amoxycillin as a broad spectrum antibiotic. And even more to be said for checking things out yourself. Trust nobody.

Theresau Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I am having one of my worst flu experience in 15
> years.
>
> I feel certain I am now having bacterial issues
> and would like to go to urgent care.
>
> However I need to know an antibiotic that won't
> cause arrythmia.
>
> I contacted my local CVS and they did not. I have
> a call into my electrophysiology st too.

Murray L

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tikosyn uptake Dec 2011 500ug b.i.d. NSR since!
Herein lies opinion, not professional advice, which all are well advised to seek.
January 03, 2015 03:00PM
Murray - Glad you didn't have a calamity with that one! In this day where critical information on drug interactions or contraindications is readily available via computer, I am astounded that you were prescribed in error.

Your warning to all of us deserves special mention. Whenever we are already on one or multiple prescriptions, we must emphasize to the prescribing physician that they be absolutely sure of the compatibility... and then verify that with the pharmacist before accepting possession of the drug...or before consuming it.... that there are no contraindications.

For the elderly who are not computer literate or don't have access to a computer, remind them of these cautionary practices as a Good Samaritan.

Murray - I wish you the best of positive health changes in this coming New Year.

Jackie
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login