Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Rogaine

Posted by tsco 
Rogaine
November 05, 2014 09:53AM
Does anyone know if or why Rogaine would be a contributer to afib or other palpitations? Im just curious. The ingredient minoxidil is not a steroid and just wondering if it could cause any disturbances.
Re: Rogaine
November 05, 2014 02:28PM
Its very toxic to Cats and not good for pregnant women.
November 05, 2014 06:29PM
I seem to recall discussing this with my hairdresser a number of yours ago. He was using it for thinning hair and said he was aware that it caused heart palpitations....but he was concerned enough about his hair that he was willing to take the risk. I believe he knew that from reading the label. Did you check?
November 06, 2014 02:17AM
I did an internet search, and yes it can cause palpitations. It is rare if used topically, but it does happen.
November 06, 2014 03:36PM
Hi taco,

Its not likely to cause palpitations in topically applied doses, provided you stick to topic administration. Orally could be a different kettle of fish but I have not heard off it being a big source of atrial arrhythmias even taken orally.

Topical will have some systemic effects too but a good deal less so compared to the local topical effect of the drug.

Make sure your testosterone and DHEA levels are well supported. Especially is you decide to try other oral or topical finasteride either of these drugs is taken for hair loss?

Taking finasteride without insuring a robust endogenous or exogenously repleted anabolic hormone system is very risky for 'limp member' syndrome to put it delicately.

Some men has even lost erectile function indefinietlhy even after stopping finasteride if they embark on therapy with an already too low endogenous testosterone level without simulatenously and preferably before beginning finasteride, add in a solid restoration dose of of bio-identical testosterone, for those with levels under 450g/ml and some signs or symptoms of low T already present.

The best thing is ti have a thorouhg hormone workup before starting this class of drugs and particularly finasteride (Propecia) and make sure the free levels of testosterone, bioavailable testosterone and SHBG ( Sex Hormone Binding Globulin) levels are checked along with Estradiol and Estrone levels, prolactin, do a full fasting glucose and lipid panel, Albumin and DHEA-sulfate and Androstanediol-Gluconaride (ADIOL-G) testing as well.

Also, if you really want to do it up right, have a concurrent 24 hour urine comprehensive hormone lab as well as these select serum labs to make up the gold standard for a comprehensive male endocrine work up.

There is little danger to long term libido when modest doses of finasteride are used with solid levels of testosterone are on board, But never take it if you have low levels as so many men do who are not taking BHRT replacement levels of these vital hormones that have gone missing with age. There in no substitute for quality testing and a good functional medicine MD who is fellowship certified to prescribe these protocols.

Best wishes,
Shannon
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login