Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Silent afib?

Posted by Lisa Str 
Silent afib?
October 31, 2014 07:52PM
I haven't been on this forum for a while as I had a Natale ablation in Feb 2011 and have done great since then. However, in the last month or so I notice something new and disquieting going on. I don't have perfect words to describe it but to use a music metaphor it is as though the melody line is perfect sinus rhythm but that there is a subtle base beat below that of arrhythmia. In other words, I feel like I am experiencing an undercurrent of afib (or something else) that is very subtle even while taking my pulse tells me I am in SR. And it leaves me feeling slightly not myself physically, but not exactly out of breath. Of course, it also leaves me wondering what might happen next. . .am I just a step or two away from the return of afib? Does anyone have any experience with something like this or otherwise know anything about it?

With gratitude for this forum,

Lisa Str

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/01/2014 01:22PM by Lisa Str.
Re: Silent afib?
November 01, 2014 10:57AM
What a great musical analogy! As a multi-instrumentalist, I get it Lisa.

Have you had a recent workup?

Good luck!

/L
November 01, 2014 01:20PM
Thanks, Larry. I haven't had a workup lately but I think it is time.

Nobody but you has responded to my post although many have viewed it. While I think the music analogy is clear, maybe it really is not. Perhaps I should re-post to see if others ever feel like they are experiencing an undercurrent of afib even while on the surface it seems like they are in SR.

Lisa
November 01, 2014 03:49PM
Hi Lisa - Good to hear from you. It would be useful to wear a monitor or get one of the phone Apps that will allow you to record your sensations for evaluation by Dr. Natale's team. That way you'll know for sure.

Some of us always seem to know or be able to detect whether we are in NSR or not, but for many, it is often very obscure.

Last year, I experienced some weird "vibrating" sensations in my thymus area which I only noticed it when first lying down to sleep. I learned my TSH had dropped down to .3 so my FM MD was concerned it might be contributing to AF so directed me to stop using Armour Thyroid hormone and eventually, the number increased. Not that the TSH is the best or most reliable measure of thyroid dysfunction, it is nevertheless a guide that can sometimes lead to a more thorough assessment of thyroid and related function that might influence afib.

Let us know what you learn.

Be well,
Jackie
November 02, 2014 11:13AM
Thank you, Jackie! You are always so good to respond. What a gift you are to this community.

I have come to the conclusion that you and Larry are right. . .I need to get myself back to my cardiologist to see what is going on. Will do that as soon as I return from an upcoming trip.

I hope you are very well these days, Jackie, and that you are looking forward to a lovely Thanksgiving.

Lisa
November 02, 2014 08:12PM
Hi Lisa - are you paying attention to magnesium supplementation along with the other nutrients?
Ron
November 03, 2014 11:44AM
Hi Ron ~

Well, Jackie reminded me to do just that. And, in fact, I had become lazy about my magnesium supplementation but just last week I picked it up again. Already my heart has calmed down. Amazing, isn't it, that the docs don't get on board with this.

Lisa
November 05, 2014 01:11AM
If your in NSR, than your not also in somehow subtly in AFIB. Wearing a Holter monitor for a week or some other device would tell you if their is any AFIB going on. Could be NSR with some PAC's or PVC's mixed in, but that's not AFIB.

Could be something else is wrong with you, and you intuitively sense this, but don't know what it is, and it's just that the AFIB comes to mind, since you've had a history with it.
November 05, 2014 08:44AM
Anti aFIB is correct Lisa, there is either AFIB or something else be it NSR, Flutter, SVT etc etc. Consecutive runs of ectopy can often feel like AFIB , but if you are sure you are in NSR when you have these feelings then it is not some subterranean form of AFIB.

Jackies discription of potential Borderline hyperthyroid cardiac symptoms is certainly possible too as hyperthyroid or just borderline HT can cause both a pounding heart and/or an inner sensation of tremor in the chest area. That is usually accompanied by other signs or symptoms of hyperthyroid as well such as racing thoughts, a moist sheen of warm dampness on your neck and upper chest as well as some of hands and bottom of feet with a tacky moist feeling there. Also very fast Achilles tendon reflexes are a strong indicator of Hyperthyroid. Loose stools and more frequent BMs also.

In any event it's fairly easy these days to rule in or out AFIB , such as with an AliveCor Smartphone EKG monitor. Perhaps best to visit your cardio but when you ask him for a few thyroid work up ask too for Free T3 and Free T4 and not just TSH. Although most cardios are not skilled in detecting intermediate cases such as borderline, but still very symptomatic hyperthyroid. You are much better off getting a good overall metabolic/hormonal work up by a skilled functional medicine MD who is fellowship certified in BHRT (bio identical hormone replacement therapy) for that end of the equation and to truly rule in or out any possibly thyroid or even adrenal dysfunction as the cause of these unstable sensations in your chest area.

Best wishes Shannon
November 05, 2014 09:04AM
Actually, the achilles tendon reflex is also the traditional marker for hypo-thyroidism; so, a thorough practitioner always checks everyone.

Leave no stone unturned.

Jackie
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login