Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Post Ablation and Alcohol consumption

Posted by smackman 
Post Ablation and Alcohol consumption
October 15, 2014 04:57PM
It has been almost 8 months since my Ablation with Dr. Natale. I am doing GREAT! Just pure smooth NSR.

I have a friend who has invited me to a BIG College Football game on the campus of LSU. I have not had anything to drink besides a swallow or 2 of beer since the Ablation. I was not a heavy drinker before the Ablation but I did enjoy a couple of beers 1-2 times a week. Bud Light or some light beer.

Will it be a "no no" for me to consume a couple of beers at the ballgame? Just wondering what the thoughts of the "pros" are on this subject.

So far, The Ablation has been the best thing I have ever done for my Health. I have this board to thank for steering me in the right direction (Austin, Texas) so your opinion is important to me.
Anonymous User
Re: Post Ablation and Alcohol consumption
October 15, 2014 08:41PM
Hi Smackman,
As you may know, I had Dr. Natale's ablation couple weeks ago (Oct 3rd) and I did write a post few days ago to update my 1 week post ablation. Since then, I did another test to my heart with the triggers: Alcohol.
On Saturday, I went to a club to celebrate my friend's birthday. All night, they were serving red wine. I hesitated at first, but then went for it. I had all in all may be 2 glasses. Guess what? No episodes.

So far, I did give my heart some challenges post ablation with some of the things that I used to enjoy, i.e, saltier foods, eat later in the evening, eat bigger portions, cheese, Chinese foods with MSG, etc. and recently alcohol.
I never liked alcohol, so I've never been a drinker, but sometimes I do consume it socially. When I started Afib couple years ago, I haven't consume any alcohol til last Saturday. Anyway, as I stated before, I'm not going to push it all the time, I just want to find out where I stand with the beast after ablation.

I don't know how your system is going to react, so I can't advice you. But, for my case, I did OK.

I wish you well if you're going to try it out.

Duke
October 15, 2014 10:28PM
A few light beers are fine, I enjoy a few every weekend!
Natale told me all in moderation!

Enjoy yourself,

McHale
October 15, 2014 11:33PM
Moderation is the important thing to keep in mind. Alcohol can be a trigger and certainly consuming a lot in one sitting or every day is not recommended.

I am 14 months since my Ablation and have only had one breakthrough which I believe was over indulging the night before. That refresher is not one I want to risk again.

As it is your first time I recommend keeping moderation in mind.
October 16, 2014 12:29AM
Smackman,

The new issue of The AFIB Report has a detailed summary of a recent interesting large scale review of alcohol and AFIB including when modest amounts may well be tolerated in occasional moderation, the different impact of various types of alcohol, and a realistic dose/response guideline that should more or less apply to many after a fully successful ablation process has been complete.

Duke is young, otherwise healthy, and had a very short term and modest degree of straight forward paroxysmal AFIB, requiring only a roughly one hour ablation to deliver solid NSR by Dr Natale. While Duke can likely 'cheat' to a greater degree so early than is wise for those who have had a more extensive AFIB history so soon after their index procedure, I do hope his efforts to press the edge of the envelope so soon don't come back to bite him.

He'll probably do fine, but unless you are similarly young and heathy, not over weight, no sleep apnea, no hypertension or diabetes etc etc and have had a similar Duck soup easy case of AFIB so far ablated by the Maestro, me advice would be to emphasize the moderation part of the equation .. At least for the first 6 months post ablation when typically most such cases will have really solidified well by then.

Smack you should be fine, but take it easy and start with no more than two beers your first outing for the game. You're hearts likely going to get a workout with all the excitement at the big game anyway (sounds like fun) just go easy with it and set a low limit, especially early on until you get a longer range feel for how your body can tolerate it. Beer has a bit more lee-way than does wine or liquor, but each person has to find out for themselves how well they can tolerate imbibing. If you get any ectopy of fast HR in the hours or first day or so after a drink or two then take that as a strong sign to back off again for a good long while, perhaps for good if your body just can't handle it well.

Cheers!
Shannon

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/20/2014 10:08AM by Shannon.
October 16, 2014 09:10AM
Dr Hocini, one of the top people in Bordeaux, once told BarryG after his ablation that he shouldn't drink any wine.... unless it was a good one.

Gill
October 16, 2014 11:30AM
I drink socially. I usually hydrate the days I know Ill have a few. and.......alcohol isnt a trigger for everyone
October 16, 2014 12:03PM
Let me say, I never have been no more than a "occasional" alcohol consumer. Alcohol was not a trigger for me;My biggest trigger was anxiety, stress etc.

IF I drink, it will not be over 2 light beers. I like NSR. smileys with beer
October 18, 2014 07:34PM
Alcohol not a trigger for me either and I can't give up Pinot Noir (don't care for Bordeaux). My EP said the main thing to avoid is binge drinking.
October 18, 2014 11:27PM
Smack one thing I would caution is if you have confirmed whether you are gluten sensitive or not, and to stay away from gluten beer. Even if you have not confirmed this, there is enough anecdotal information out there that it is not a good idea to consume gluten. If you drink a few gluten heavy beer you can take a fair wollop of this nasty molecule, and for some people the ensuing gut turmoil could contribute to afib. There are a number of beers that are gluten free and you can easily do a quick google search once you find out what the offerings are at the game. Some are more exotic brands, but I believe Coors Light is considered to be low in gluten.

Ron

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/18/2014 11:29PM by RonB.
PH
October 21, 2014 08:03PM
Smackman,

You and I have similar paths in the past 6 months (I just got cleared by Andrea to be off Xarelto).
As a Frenchman, I used to like red wine and good beer. Since my ablation, I have definitely tested the boundaries, including one night of jamming with my band until 3am that involved 4-5 heavy (9% proof) Indian Pale Ales, with shots of premium scotch in between. I was hung over the next day and promised not to do the again, but ... NO AFIB.
My excuse is that it was a test, but I told the band that I have to go lighter next time around.
Anyways, steady as she goes and the old triggers including alcohol, lack of sleep, dehydration and stress are totally harmless for the moment.
Your mileage may vary but I hope that's a useful market point.

PH

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/22/2014 07:11AM by PH.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login