Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Post Ablation Report

Posted by gmperf 
Post Ablation Report
September 17, 2014 02:55PM
I received my post ablation report. I thought it might be educational / interesting.

I noted the report stated "moderate Left Atrial scaring". The longest period of time I was in flutter was @ 4 months leading up to this ablation. This first ablation @4 years ago, I had shortly after my afib diagnoses. I always knew when I was in afib / flutter. I am 50 now and other than afib, no health problems. What is causing the atrial scarring...? What causes a normal healthy person to have thier heart slowing destroy itself...? Just thinking out loud.
Report:
I was in flutter (left atypical) not afib. Dr. Natale noted moderate scarring on the Left Atrium. The pulmonary viens were still isolated.
Ablation on the LA septum terminated the flutter. The LA appendage appeared delayed during ablation of the coronary sinus.
The LA Appendage was isolated because of triggers.
High dose Isoproterenol was administered. The SVC remained isolated from the previous procedure.
Total ablation time 22 minutes. Total ablation count 25.

Anyone wish to comments?

Don
PS. still in NSR since the ablation Sept 3rd. Taking 40mg Sotalol x2, Xarelto.
Tired of afib controlling my life - I am starting Hang Gliding lesson in two weeks.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/17/2014 03:00PM by gmperf.
Re: Post Ablation Report
September 18, 2014 11:32AM
Don - Give your heart plenty of time to heal before doing anything too strenuous

You should be aware of the fact that the 'scarring' which is is the term EPs use for fibrosis is the result of magnesium deficiency and oxidative stress damage (ROS and inflammation) ... as discussed in several previous posts that mention the findings of William Rowe, MD, with long distance runners and the fibrosis resulting from free radical damage and continually elevated catecholamines. Cardiac fibrosis is a common finding in afibbers with a history of intense, prolonged endurance exercise. The ablation doesn't stop future formation of fibrosis.

If you haven't used supplemental magnesium prior to your ablation, it's excellent post-ablation support. Most people don't get enough magnesium from food to meet the requirements of the body… and magnesium is easily and quickly depleted by stress, (exercise is a form of stress), various drugs, alcohol and more. (many posts here on the function and importance of magnesium... use the advance search feature).

If you read through Conference Room 75 and also 24, both discuss causes of Cardiac Fibrosis.

Previous Posts – the first includes CR 75 and 24 hyperlinks
[www.afibbers.org]

[www.afibbers.org]

[www.afibbers.org]

[www.afibbers.org]

From the William Rowe report:
Direct myocardial injury
The mechanism for catecholamine-induced myocardial scarring[11-13] is not limited to ischaemia.[28] Along with several other mechanisms,[11,13,29,30] formation of high concentrations of free fatty acids by catecholamine-induced lipolysis[19] can be very injurious.[30] However, emphasis has been placed on the ischaemic mechanism since the single case supporting this hypothesis showed evidence of exercise-induced ischaemia,[7] which could also explain the apparent recurrence of pulmonary oedema in the South African runners.[6] This mechanism also provides a teleological rationale[2] for ensuring adequate rest periods between endurance exercise for regression of ischaemia and endothelial repair. Furthermore, in the presence of an endothelial injury,[12] an ischaemic insult to the myocardium may occur at lower (ie, more plausible) catecholamine concentrations[10] than those possibly required for a direct myocardial injury.[29] Epidemiological studies to confirm this hypothesis would require necropsy examinations to establish the presence of focal fibrosis and to exclude confounding factors. One factor would be pathological ventricular hypertrophy since this process may itself cause myocardial necrosis.[31]

[www.femsinspace.com]

[www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov]

I wish you well with your healing process and a long, afib free life!

Healthy regards,
Jackie
Re: Post Ablation Report
September 18, 2014 03:54PM
Thank you Jackie,

I did just start Magnesium (Natural Calm powder) a few weeks before the ablation. It really calmed my heart down.
Dr. Natale's nurse told me to take Magnesium that mine was always low.

I will read the links you posted and make what I learn part of my future health care.

Thanks!
Don
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login