Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Vitamin C Containing Calcium Ascorbate?

Posted by Windstar 
Vitamin C Containing Calcium Ascorbate?
September 02, 2014 04:28PM
I've been taking Liv-on Lypo-Sperhic Vitamin C for many months, but suddenly my body has become "sensitive" to the phospholipids in it due to one of my gene mutations. So I started taking AdvanC by Vitacost because it also contains quercetin and other citrus biovlavonoids, which sounded good. However, I just realized that the form of vitamin C in it is calcium ascorbate complex. I know we afibbers want to avoid excess calcium, so my question is, is calcium ascorbate going to break down into calcium in my body? If so, what would be a good form or brand of vitamin C to take instead?

Thanks much.

Nancy M
Re: Vitamin C Containing Calcium Ascorbate?
September 03, 2014 03:37PM
Nancy – Yes, it will break down or metabolize into the individual components. Cardiologist Thomas E Levy MD, JD, cautions about using the calcium ascorbate form not so much for an excitatory factor in arrhythmia, but because of the problems of excess calcium and arterial calcifications.

Dr. Levy is well known for his vitamin C research which leads us to the Liposomal form of Vitamin C. In several of his books and lectures, he never fails to mention that we should avoid taking calcium ascorbate and recommends ascorbic acid. The one I have is a powder by Allergy Research… Pure Vitamin C Ascorbic Acid Powder
120 Grams. With the powder, you can easily adjust your dosage and work up to optimal dosing.

Jackie
September 03, 2014 09:05PM
thanks, Jackie. I thought that might be the case. Glad I checked as I certainly don't want any excess calcium in my body. I know Dr. Russel Blaylock recommends buffered vitamin C. I'm not sure whether to try the Allergy Research powder. It may affect my LES if it's not in a capsule. I know you try to stay away from fillers and capsules, which is a good idea for those of us with MCS. Do you have any recommendations for a buffered vitamin C?

Hope you are feeling better and that your PVCs are lessening.

Blessings,
Nancy M
September 05, 2014 11:04PM
Jackie & Windstar,
I have been using capsules containing 500 mg. of Magnesium Ascorbate for years---that way I get a buffered form of Vitamin C, plus a little extra Magnesium. I use the Allergy Research Group brand, which I obtain from Amazon, 100 capsules to the bottle.
September 06, 2014 02:59PM
Thanks much, srach1943. That sounds exactly what I am looking for. I'll check it out at iherb first and If I can't find it there, I'll look at Amazon.

Blessings,
Nancy M
September 06, 2014 04:20PM
Nancy - Sorry for the late response... yes the magnesium ascorbate is definitely an option. I hope you tolerate it.

Be well,
Jackie
September 06, 2014 10:04PM
I searched iHerb, Vitacost, and "Amazon and could not find a buffered vitamin C by Allergy Research Group that only contained magnesium ascorbate. The one I found contained a combination of calcium ascorbate and magnesium ascorbate. Where can I find the one with only magnesium ascorbate veggie caps?

Thanks much,
Nancy M
September 07, 2014 01:53PM
Nancy,
Here is the link to the Magnesium Ascorbate on the Amazon website:

[www.amazon.com]

Let me know if you still have a problem.
Mike
September 07, 2014 08:39PM
Thanks much, Mike.

I was searching under Vitamin C, not magnesium ascorbate, so that's probably why I didn't find it.

Nancy M
September 07, 2014 11:21PM
Thanks much, Mike.

I was searching under Vitamin C, not magnesium ascorbate, so that's probably why I didn't find it.

Nancy M
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login