Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Tachycardia issue today at Doctor's office

Posted by smackman 
Tachycardia issue today at Doctor's office
May 19, 2014 07:25PM
I have "white coat" issues when I go to a Doctors office. Today my Heart rate was 122 bpm and my bp was 135/83. This was 8:30 AM

At 6 AM this same day, my heart rate was 76 bpm.

I am bothered with my Tachycardia attack at the Doctors office. I have not seen this high of a heart rate in 3 months. I had my Cather Ablation Done Feb. 27 by Dr. Natale. All has been smooth sailing until todays event.

Should I be worried? My heart rate is currently 70 which is normal after stopping Multaq.

Why do I White coat and how can I overcome this?

5 mg Valium a day as needed.
20 mg Prozac daily
15 mg Prevacid a day
60 cc shot of Testosterone Cypionate every 10 days. Testosterone is low due to schedule two narcotics.
.5 mg Arimidex 2x a week to keep Estrogen levels in check. T shots can cause rise in Estrogen.

100 mg Metoprolol ER 1x a day
25 mg HydroDiuril fluid pill 1x a day every 2 days.
Neurontin 900mg a day (for Neuropathic pain IC/CPPS)
800 mg of Magnesium daily . Different types
81 mg aspirin 1X a day. Heart Doctor order due to stent installed in Jan. 2012.
2.5 mg Eliquis 2X a day

Miralax 1x a day for constipation issues. I have tried so many different methods for Constipation since 2008. Fiber is in my diet but to much Fiber really Constipates me.

25 mg/hcr Fentanyl.patch changed every 2 days

1st ablation done Feb. 27, 2014 for Long term persistent AFIB Dr. Natale
2nd Ablation done June 16,2016 Dr. Natale LAA isolated

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/19/2014 07:53PM by smackman.
Re: Tachycardia issue today at Doctor's office
May 19, 2014 08:27PM
Smack,

I'm subject to white coat issues and have been for decades. I learned 30 years ago that my BP would be high in a doctors office & fine (108/70) when measured before giving blood. I think it has something to do with me feeling I'm being judged. I found that if I talked to whoever was measuring and joke about it, it made it better. Also, in theory, the point of BP measurement should be at heart level. Because of fluid pressure, if the measurement point is below the heart, the BP will be higher. Conversely, if above, the BP will be lower. Some people care about this, others don't. If you have your own BP measuring equipment, you can demonstrate this for yourself.

My worst case of white coat came when going in for an ultrasound kidney stone destruction procedure (Extracorporeal Shock Wave Lithotripsy - ESWL). I'd spent the morning in Federal court listening to oral arguments in a civil (business) case where a negative outcome could have been financially devastating (lower court found for us in Summary Judgement, appellate court affirmed). I then drove 90 miles back to the hospital for the ESWL. On the intake measurements, my HR was ~120 and my BP 180/120. This was all pre-afib.

I can measure my BP any time any where without any elevation issue, as long as it isn't in a doctor's office. When I measure it myself, it is usually 95-110/55-70. I take no meds. The white coat issue has gotten better with me talking about it to them.

Good luck!

George
Re: Tachycardia issue today at Doctor's office
May 19, 2014 10:20PM
GeorgeN Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Smack,
>
> I'm subject to white coat issues and have been for
> decades. I learned 30 years ago that my BP would
> be high in a doctors office & fine (108/70) when
> measured before giving blood. I think it has
> something to do with me feeling I'm being judged.
> I found that if I talked to whoever was measuring
> and joke about it, it made it better. Also, in
> theory, the point of BP measurement should be at
> heart level. Because of fluid pressure, if the
> measurement point is below the heart, the BP will
> be higher. Conversely, if above, the BP will be
> lower. Some people care about this, others don't.
> If you have your own BP measuring equipment, you
> can demonstrate this for yourself.
>
> My worst case of white coat came when going in for
> an ultrasound kidney stone destruction procedure
> (Extracorporeal Shock Wave Lithotripsy - ESWL).
> I'd spent the morning in Federal court listening
> to oral arguments in a civil (business) case where
> a negative outcome could have been financially
> devastating (lower court found for us in Summary
> Judgement, appellate court affirmed). I then
> drove 90 miles back to the hospital for the ESWL.
> On the intake measurements, my HR was ~120 and my
> BP 180/120. This was all pre-afib.
>
> I can measure my BP any time any where without any
> elevation issue, as long as it isn't in a doctor's
> office. When I measure it myself, it is usually
> 95-110/55-70. I take no meds. The white coat
> issue has gotten better with me talking about it
> to them.
>
> Good luck!
>
> George

I had driven approx. 100 miles for this Doctors appointment. I always white coat but this one scared me. I do not believe I was in AFIB but at 122 bpm that scared to heck out of me. I have not seen my heart rate above 100 since The 1st night after my Cather Ablation and that includes walking 3 miles a day 4 days a week.

There is something fearful about that nurse checking my blood pressure and heart rate. This was a PAIN MANAGEMENT appointment also; nothing to do with a Cardiologist. I generally do much better around a Heart Doctor.......

Waiting on call from Austin to see what they say about this mornings event. I have that implant medtronics device that is monitored. I sent them a extra scan when I got home and called them; They will get back with me sometime soon so I can get peace of mind that I was not having a AFIB episode. I am 9 days away from the end of my 3 month blanketing period. I have been doing so well.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login