Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Side effects Diltiazem

Posted by Trilby8 
Side effects Diltiazem
May 20, 2014 02:44PM
Has anyone had to stop taking Diltiazem SR 60mg for Lone PAF vagally triggered because they couldn't tolerate the side effects ?
Re: Side effects Diltiazem
May 20, 2014 05:42PM
I took diltiazem when I had my initial afib that landed me in the ER, but I did not have any side effects. I took 120mg ER, and I had a Lone Vagal PAF.

What side effects are you seeing?
May 21, 2014 03:48AM
My main "side" effect was to have even worse afib. Diltiazem lowered my resting heart rate from about 54 to about 47, and that was enough to trigger afib more easily. Other than that, the side effect I had was drowsiness
May 22, 2014 03:45PM
My side effects are palpitations always post eating 99% of the time after lunch used to be breakfast also but changed taking of the morning dose to after b/fast which seemed to stop the post meal palpitations - also low mood and energy levels - red flushed face - swelling of lower legs when standing always goes overnight. I feel I'm constantly trying to find ways to counteract the side effects of the Diltiazem - much more of a problem to me than the AF which is very very rare now.
May 23, 2014 01:01AM
Trilby8 - when you have palpitations or elevated heart rate consistently and not long after eating... be suspect of a food sensitivity and that makes your heart go wild. The fact that you have other outward physical symptoms is a strong indicator.

That's common and it's a way that is still reliable to determine an initial screening for food sensitivies. There is a book that was popular some years ago... The Pulse Test... [www.amazon.com]

Just do a log of what you eat, the time... and then start checking your pulse about 20 minutes later or as soon as the symptoms begin. It could be something in the diltazem or the drug, itself, but it well could be a food you eat regularly....such as dairy, eggs, wheat, gluten/gliaden, corn, soy are the most common. If it's gluten or the gliaden protein, then that can be in other grains besides wheat such as rye, oats, barley, spelt and triticale.

It could also be that if you eat packaged/processed foods, there is a food coloring, preservative, MSG or other taste enhancer or an artificial chemical sweetener that is causing the reaction. Even fresh foods that are not organic can contain residues of pesticides or weed killers that can cause similar reactions in sensitive individuals.

A formal food sensitivity test for food antibodies would be the next step if you determine it's food related so you know for sure.... from a lab such as Genova Diagnostics or Metametrix. The Gluten assay is by Cyrex Labs. And you'll need to have an Intestinal Permeability evaluation to determine the health of your gut lining. It all goes together and your reactions are classic.

Jackie
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login