Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

PAC's - feedback

Posted by LSulka 
PAC's - feedback
April 30, 2014 08:22PM
Hi to Jackie and all,
Just wanted to give some feedback to the suggestions on keeping PAC's under control. My greatest challenge is to keep myself from thinking I am "healed" and problem free. I think it's doubtful that any ever is if one of your "triggers" are related to the electrolytes.

After some careful observations I have come to realize that there are times that my sodium intake can cause imbalance with potassium and other issues. So, I have formulated a Milk of Magnesium and Potassium concoction using info in Jackie's Strategy report and carefully add to my daily beverages. I can even feel my body calm and settle in. In addition, recognizing following my evening meal I am most likely to have issues, I have extended the program into evening as well.

One note of caution: watch out if you are taking ACE inhibitors. Do your research. I ran across an article the other day stating that ACE inhibitors keep potassium stable in the body calming the heart. Using these might just upset the program and slow the heart too much.

So off I go once again - 69 yrs of age and drug free! But we aren't eating like others either, I might add. Doing more vegetable juicing and reducing meat intake to name a couple. Blood work looking good.

Best wishes for staying Afib and PAC free to all of you. My journey was extremely challenging, but with God's help I am an overcomer. And now I just need to focus on being vigilant about my electrolytes.

Lois
Re: PAC's - feedback
May 01, 2014 05:41PM
Hello Lois~ Thanks for posting. It certainly does my heart good to see read about your successes.

As we know, fundamentally, we are all vulnerable to electrolyte imbalances with the manifestations distinguished by biochemical/biophysical individual uniqueness... ie, some people manifesting in hypertension from the electrolyte imbalance rather than arrhytymia as one example.

The more juicing you do, the more easily you will control your tissue pH toward alkalinity and that spares your body of the negatives that come from being overly acidic. It's the best way known to stay healthy...especially to avoid diseases that thrive in acidic tissue such as cancer... so congratulations on your discipline and healthy diet/lifestyle.

I do a similar concoction using the WW concentrate and potassium to augment my dietary intake. It just makes sense.
Dr. Baroody aptly titled his book... Alkalize or Die. Certainly a title that gets one's attention.

I hope you will check in periodically since your success should be both motivating and encouraging to those who are still struggling.

Best of health and longevity to you, Lois.

Jackie
May 01, 2014 07:34PM
I promise I will check in more regularly. It was through this group my 'help" came. One thing I forgot to mention, I limit my milk and dairy intake to about 25% of recommended daily requirement. It's hard to completely give it up. I mention this because I take CAL separately - not with this drink as I first thought I would. I do this because every other day I take Strontium which is highly effective for supporting bone health. And you shouldn't take CAL and Strontium too close together as Calcium will cancel out Strontium. Also, the days I take CAL, I take Vitamin K which helps drive the CAL into the bones and keeps it out of the arteries.

You know, I can't prove most of what I do.....but I will say this.....I usually read it several different places (experts) before I do anything. A new source I have discovered is www.GreenMedInfo.com. 20,000 abstracts on various subjects all backed up by tons of studies and references. I am just having a "party" reading and digesting the information there.

Again, every stay healthy and in rhythm! Time for a long bike ride.

Lois
May 02, 2014 08:45AM
Thanks again, Lois. As we often say, we are all 'experiments of one'... what works for one, may not work for all. But by sharing experiences, others can pick up on details that may work for them as well.

Thanks also for the research reference URL.

Be well,

Jackie
May 06, 2014 12:00AM
Hi Lois,

"My greatest challenge is to keep myself from thinking I am "healed" and problem free. I think it's doubtful that any ever is if one of your "triggers" are related to the electrolytes. "

I learned this lesson years ago. If I pay attention to my electrolytes and get them right, I'm in great shape. In fact most triggers go away, too. However I've learned my lesson well that I'm not healed. This makes me extremely rigorous in my electrolyte replenishment program. I never miss.

Keep up the good work!

George
May 06, 2014 04:06PM
Hi George, your experience is a great example of why so many EPs or other MDs overlook or discount too much the role religious electrolyte repletion can have on at least helping to manage AFIB.

Even when it works well, the supplemental route almost invariably requires a real dedication to consistency and a willing spirit of curiosity and will to preservere through set backs in order to find a protocol balance that works well for you ... And that too can require periodic tweaking or major adjustments to keep one foot in front of the beast.

So many afibbers will not have the resolve to keep at it, especially when there are periodic set backs they view as failures.

EPs and other MDs who may understand the theoretical and conceptual rationale for magnesium /potassium supplementation often feel from such anecdotal reports and having very mixed experience in stopping arrhythmia in the ER with these nutrients alone quickly dismiss it all as a reliable means to help control AFIB.

And for the majority of folks they are probably right. Most Docs don't feel they have the time or inclination to try to nurse maid every patient through the often long term process or trial and error nutrient adjustments and titration within their already swamped schedules.

So it really is up to becoming a very pro-active patient dedicated to really learning this stuff and following through with it earnestly if you want to really be able to say you have a good feel for just what this protocol might offer for you or not.

Until, and unless, we finally unravel the more core metabolic levels of this condition such that a simpler and more consistently reliable protocol can lead to a better and more predictable outcome than either only nutrients or only only drugs or even the combination of the two, this situation is likely to always remain the case. And, as such, very often an expert ablation will remain a key cornerstone for best long term management of AFIB, even for those of us who do benefit greatly from electrolyte restoration, although shy of giving us total, or at least effective, control prior to a successful ablation process.

Shannon

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/07/2014 01:17AM by Shannon.
May 06, 2014 04:54PM
Hey Shannon,

A few years ago, I was backpacking with an orthopedic hand surgeon friend and his wife. I described my afib remission protocol (K+, taurine, Mg++ to bowel tolerance). His response - he thought it was great - however he said the FDA'd never approve without a "standard dose" (that is the mag to bowel tolerance was too vague) and his patients were not bright and dedicated enough to follow such a program.

George

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/07/2014 09:09AM by GeorgeN.
May 07, 2014 01:37AM
Sounds like a familiar story George. But I don't think its necessarily as often the case that many patients are not bright enough too grasp this, as many people are, or at least can certainly be taught what to do. But its the lack of motivation and willingness to change their lifestyle or belief system enough to give the whole approach a ver dedicated effort and n to just throw in the towel when the health food store magnesium didnt stop their AFIB outright and they had a few breakthroughs while doing what they thought was the full program.

Often people are taking what seems to be an average dose of Mag or Potassium and yet are poorly absorbing it and haven't bothered to check through deliberate and repeated testing and thus wind up giving up an figuring it just doenst work for them.

Sometimes it will not be enough even with a heroic effort, but more often than not at least some real benefit can be had from more vigilance and resilience in sticking with it and doing proper testing and dose adjustments to insure you are getting enough to the cells to at least make some difference.

It can be a real hassle for many, and for those for whom its just to much to deal with, then opting for an ablation much earlier in the process, rather than later, also makes good sense. We have to have a clear self-awareness about what any one of us are likely to actually follow through with and what we are likely to drop or backslide with in order to make the best decisions for our own best interests..

Shannon
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login