Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Taurine, the heart and arrhythmia - reminder

Posted by Jackie 
Taurine, the heart and arrhythmia - reminder
April 13, 2014 06:39PM
August 2010 journal report on Taurine – worth noting.

Physiological roles of taurine in heart and muscle [www.jbiomedsci.com]

Read more than just the Abstract… the Introduction has relevancy for afibbers in that the regulation of calcium homeostasis by taurine has been extensively studied. (calcium is excitatory to heart cells).

New Afib readers can read more about the importance of taurine’s function and the heart as it relates to arrhythmia in the posts listed at the end.

Additionally, retired neurosurgeon, Russell L. Blaylock, MD, who is now practicing nutritional/functional medicine writes that taurine is important in detoxification. He notes that about 60% chemically sensitive individuals are deficient in certain nutrients. Example: When vitamin B6 is low, taurine is also deficient.

Taurine plays a major role in detoxification and taurine deficiency can result in extreme sensitivities to chlorine, hypochlorite (bleach), aldehydes, alcohols, solvents and ammonia.

When supplementing with vitamin B6, it is always best to take the phosphorylated (bioactive) form labelled as pyridoxal 5- phosphate… or P-5-P.. rather than the former version just identified as B6 or pyridoxine. [Blaylock Wellness Report]

Taurine also has the property of eliminating edema (water accumulation) and people have found it lowers blood pressure nicely without use of diuretics or other drugs.

Jackie

Previous posts from long ago:

This is the primary, initial posting on Taurine:

Taurine posts – Déjà vu - includes original post “What about Taurine?”
[www.afibbers.org]

Additional response to another thread on taurine:

"Just to be sure no one becomes alarmed over using taurine – "

From Dr. Smyada's article:

Taurine is a necessary and integral element for optimal health. Oral supplementation poses no major threat of toxicity, and its presence in foods makes it widely available to people seeking nutrition-oriented ways to improve their health. The importance of taurine cannot be overstated and its greater therapeutic application awaits only further research. It truly is part of the team of nutrients that we require for maintaining optimal health and sustaining life.
<[www.mgwater.com];

From Dr. Braverman's book – “The Healing Nutrients Within” (updated edition 2003)

Quotes:

It is known that both taurine and magnesium are depleted in arrhythmia and may be useful in treating some types of it. p 135.

Taurine Loading:
Taurine is a well-absorbed amino acid with few side effects. We loaded healthy subjects with 5 grams taurine. At two hours, taurine levels increased to more than 20 times the normal. At four hours, taurine levels fell to 10 times normal. Given acutely, this amino acid had no significant effects on blood pressure, pulse, levels of copper, zinc, iron, manganese, and polyamines, or general chemistry screen variables. Only patients with a tendency to increased stomach acidity have difficulty. Five hundred milligrams of taurine daily will elevate plasma taurine to one and one-half times normal which may be therapeutic in some diseases. (p 141)

Maximum Safe Level
Not established

Therapeutic Daily Amount (p 141)
We continue lack the data necessary to establish known dosage ranges for taurine. Double-blind controlled studies are not yet available. However, those who are seeking natural remedies for blood pressure, diabetes, atherosclerosis, atherosclerosis, neuropathy and anxiety can easily use 1 to 5 grams daily without significant document risk. Higher doses up to 15 an 20 grams have been used intravenously.

Side Effects and Contraindications (p 141)

Taurine may elevate stomach acid and increase risk of ulcers, but only in individuals with a tendency toward increased stomach acid. Taking taurine with food, mil, or milk of magnesia will alleviate this problem. Taurine should never be taken with aspirin. Although rare, taurine in excess may cause depression.

Supplementation: Taurine is a well-absorbed amino acid with a low rate of side effects, making supplementation easy for individuals to tolerate.

Summary comments:
(p 142)

Megataurine therapy has proven to be useful in those with post myocardial infarction, congestive heart failure, elevated cholesterol and supraventricular arrhythmias. Dying heart muscle quickly becomes depleted of taurine. Taurine may prove useful in patients with epilepsy, gallstones, mitral valve prolapse, hypertension, hyperbilirubinemia, retinitis pigmentosa, photosensitivity and diabetes. Effective supplemental doses range from 1 mg. to 5 grams orally. Therapy can be guided by plasma amino acid determination. Taurine is usually well absorbed and taurine levels can increase to five times normal during therapy without ill effects.

Response to another post:

It has been found that supplements of the amino acid, taurine, will restore the abnormal electrocardiogram present during a potassium deficiency by an unknown mechanism. This information has been used in several case histories by George Eby to control a long standing type of cardiac arrhythmia called pre atrial contractions (PACs), a benign but irritating and nerve racking heart problem, with 2.5 grams of taurine with each meal.

Taurine is said to be low in the diets of vegetarians.

The 2.5 grams recommended by the American Heart Association causes diarrhea in some people and should probably be reduced in those people. [members.tripod.com]

[george-eby-research.com]

Jackie
Re: Taurine, the heart and arrhythmia - reminder
April 13, 2014 10:00PM
Nine and a half years ago, when I was trying to work out my supplement protocol for afib remission, the "standard" advice of magnesium, potassium and taurine was not yet standard. I scoured posts here going back years, Hans' Afib Report surveys and anything I could find in the medical literature for clues as to the efficacy of various approaches. I was trying many things, including magnesium, potassium and taurine. I converted from a 2 1/2 month episode with 300 mg Flec, and started taking various things. Magnesium and potassium were always in the mix. Initially, so was taurine. I was doing very well and had not had an episode for around three months. I ran out of taurine and didn't bother to replace it. After several weeks I had an episode and then another about a month after the first. It finally dawned on me that I'd been remiss in not taking taurine. I added it back in and was episode free for over two years.

Then, I got cocky and thought I had "healed" myself. I thought I might be sensitive to the fillers in some of the supplement tabs, so I stopped all supplements. The result - afib within 48 hours after stopping (after the two year hiatus).

Of course, I immediately saw the error in my ways and restarted my supps. I never made that mistake, or left taurine out of the mix again.

George
PH
April 16, 2014 10:14AM
I was talking about supplements with Natale last week post ablation (I have stopped all supplements a year ago as they did very little for me). He seemed quite "against" Taurine. I am no expert so I didn't engage in a discussion but I figured you might find it interesting.
April 16, 2014 11:54AM
I cannot tell a difference when I take Taurine. However, I didn't start taking it till after my ablation and I was in NSR. I have had good results with Magnesium and Potassium. I don't react negatively to Taurine. I just haven't received any known benefits. However, after reading Jackie's post about the benefits of Taurine, I may try it again. I have been in NSR for 2 years now, but always worry that the beast will come back and I want to do anything I can to prevent that.

PH: Did Natale say why he was against Taurine?

Jim

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/16/2014 05:55PM by mailman52.
PH
April 16, 2014 03:11PM
No and I didn't engage, but I can ask him by email in the next few days. I'll report if he responds.
Dee
April 16, 2014 08:11PM
I take it because Jackie recommends it. and I trust her. It does not give me palapitations like the carnatine
April 17, 2014 02:06PM
PH - it could be Dr. Natale doesn't like taurine is because of the rep Taurine has in the high energy drinks like Red Bull that also include caffeine, sugar and other stimulating ingrediets that would be terrible for afibbers to use. I'm very sensitive and don't tolerate caffeine but I have used 1 - 3 grams of plain, pure taurine consistently for years without an afib problem.

Jackie
Anonymous User
April 17, 2014 08:40PM
Hello everyone,
I also take 1g of Taurine daily and I think it does help and it doesn't give me palpitations.

Duke
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login