Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Bluebonnet Nutrition Albion Chelated Magnesium 200 Mg

Posted by smackman 
Bluebonnet Nutrition Albion Chelated Magnesium 200 Mg
April 03, 2014 11:20AM
I have purchased Bluebonnet Nutrition Albion Chelated Magnesium 200 Mg as suggested. I read this lengthy article on Amazon and would like some input on it from the "Magnesium experts. Here is the Article;

[www.amazon.com]
Re: Bluebonnet Nutrition Albion Chelated Magnesium 200 Mg
April 03, 2014 12:05PM
Magnesium malate is a good form of magnesium and could be useful right along with the chelated glycinate form as malic acid is beneficial in the Krebs cycle, but the most bioavailable and useful form for the needs of afibbers is the Albion patented process which is a true amino acid chelate...or magnesium glycinate.

The amino acid chelate designation means it is bound to an amino acid (in this case glycine). Amino acids are building blocks of proteins and in this type of chelation formulation, are bound together tightly so the compound does not disentegrate, break down or dissociate in the stomach's acidic digestive juices. While stomach acid is important, in this case, we want the magnesium to pass through without breakdown or binding to something else... ie, chloride.

So.. the Albion patented product delivers the intact chelated magnesium (from the stomach) to the portal in the intestinal wall where it passes through to cell receptors that (if healthy) allow the magnesium to pass into the cell where magnesium performs it's magic. If the cell receptors in the outer wall of the intestine are clogged with bad fats, toxic chemical residues etc.. then the nutrient can't access inside the cell where it functions. That's why people can say ...I took this or that and it didn't help... .... because the nutrient couldn't access inside the cell not because the nutrient was ineffective.

A number of products claim to be chelated but are not true chelates. That's why it's important to choose one labeled as using the Albion patented process. Bluebonnet is made in the USA which helps insure that the raw materials and manufacturing processes meet high-quality control standards.

Hope this helps.

Jackie
April 03, 2014 02:15PM
I prefer the Jigsaw time released Magnesium Di-magnesium malate which uses the patented Albion chelation process. It comes in easy to swallow smaller 125mg elemental magnesium caplets that are sustained release offering a real advantage over other non time released versions as one of the issues with oral Mag is that it goes in and out too quickly in many peoples systems.

Each caplet also contains small but valuable doses of Vitamin C (10mg) P5P (bioactive form of Vitamin B6) 5mg, Folic Acid in the bioavailable 5MTHF form 200mcg and Vitamin B12 as methylcobalamin which is the best bioavaialbe form of B 12 as well ( though B12 is best in sublingual or IM forms). In any event, these extra nutrients help insure magnes
ium will assist in neurotransmitter production and other metabolic processes to the fullest just in case you are not getting enough of those cofactors from your diet or other supplements as well.

You can titrate more easily with the Jigsaw 125mg for each caplet as well. Anyway, its the only oral form I use along with Activation Products 'Magnesium Influsion topical spray twice a day with 25 sprays morning and evening. and occasional 4grams of Magnesium sulfate IV as part of periodic Myers IV cocktails I get.

This protocol has finally really helped my magnesium status.

Shannon
April 03, 2014 04:07PM
Almost half of the mag I take every day is Di-magnesium malate, in the form of a powder that is made by the Albion process. I get it from a supplier who sells it into the equine market. <[www.performanceequineusa.com] I worked it out and 1/2 tsp = 1 gram of mag.

My mag intake is ~3.8 g/day (near bowel tolerance for me)
di-mag malate as above - 2 g/day
KAL brand mag glycinate - 800 mg/day
200 ml Waller Water concentrate (magnesium bicarbonate water) - 300 mg/day <[www.afibbers.org]‎
200 ml magnesium chloride water - 740 mg/day - made from 1/2 cup (8 tablespoons) MgCl2 as Nigari in 2 liters water <[www.naturalimport.com] (I purchase it in the 44 pound bags! I sent a sample off to a local chem lab several years ago to verify it didn't have heavy metals. Analysis here: [www.afibbers.org] ).

George

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/06/2014 11:03PM by GeorgeN.
April 03, 2014 08:45PM
I just started the Bluebonnet Chelated Magnesium today. 200 mg. I drink a quart of Waller Water everyday. I am "easing" into the supplements.

Jackie recommended the Bluebonnet Brand to me.
April 04, 2014 04:20PM
Hi Everyone,

Hope you can offer some advice for my magnesium situation too.

I had been taking Designs for Health Magnesium Glycinate, but when I was listening to a group conference phone call from Dr. Nancy Mullan, co-author with Dr. Amy Yasko on many methylation articles, she said that anyone with a CBS SNP (that's me) should not be taking any glycine supplements and glycinate is a form of glycine!! Anyone with a CBS SNP must be careful to limit sulphur and methyl groups. So I went back to Designs for Health Magnesium Malate Chelate that I had in the cupboard, only to find that it also contains magnesium glycinate chelate buffered, so I guess I shouldn't take it either!!

I noticed that Dr. Yasko uses magnesium citrate for her patients, but I'm not sure why. I've used this in the past, but it seems to cause loose stools at a low dose, and I want to keep my dose at the current 700mg, if not higher, in addition to the amount I get in WW. I'm wondering why Dr. Yasko doesn't use magnesium malate instead. Does anyone have an idea? Does it cause an increase in sulfate, ammonia, glutamate? I have 5 GAD1 +/+ SNPs that are causing glutamate toxicity as my glutamate doesn't become GABA as it should and just builds up, so I have to watch glutamate as well as sulphur. What a mess!!! I definitely need as much magnesium as my body will tolerate to counterbalance calcium as glutamate binds with calcium and causes cell death!!

Shannon, I also have Jigsaw Magnesium W/SRT that I used to use because it was recommended by Dr. Russell Blaylock. As you said, it is dimagnesium malate, and I like the slow release. My bottle does not list "Folic Acid in the bioavailable 5MTHF form 200mcg and Vitamin B12 as methylcobalamin which is the best bioavailable form of B 12 as well" as ingredients, but it was made in Dec. 2011,so perhaps the formula has changed. Again, because of my gene mutations, I take hydroxol B12 instead of methyl. How much methylcobalamin is in it? Perhaps it is a product I can take.

Thanks much for everyone's help.

Nancy M
April 04, 2014 04:32PM
Nancy - Ask your nutritionist how much of the malate you could tolerate ... I presume he/she has your NutrEval test results for the Krebs cycle?
I seem to recall that adding too much malate for some individuals is not a good thing...where as the glycine is perfect for afibbers because of it's calming effect. (I understand why you can't take the glycine).

Jackie
April 04, 2014 09:09PM
Thanks, Jackie. I won't see either of my nutritionists for a couple weeks, but wanted to change my magnesium now. Perhaps I can mix the citrate and malate until then.

Do you recall what kind of a problem malate can cause?

I did just get registered on Dr. Yasko's discussion forum, and asked my question. The forum administrator said, quoting Dr. Yasko, "I prefer magnesium citrate to magnesium glycinate. It is absorbed better.[/b] In addition, glycine behaves like a fair weather friend, if more glutamate
is around it will enhance the activity of glutamate. If more gaba is around then it will work with the gaba. I suspect that right now glutamate is an issue so glycine may be a problem." In the post below, it stated that magnesium malate is okay but not as good as citrate for the above reasons.
[www.ch3nutrigenomics.com]

Nancy M
April 04, 2014 09:55PM
Nancy,

There was a point in time where I successfully used quite a bit of mag citrate. As somebody who takes a heck of a lot of mag, I can't say that there is a huge difference in bowel tolerance between the various forms, at least for me.

George
April 05, 2014 10:57AM
Nancy - the only way to know about the citrate form is to take it and see what happens. For you, if the glycine is not favorable for you, then it pays to experiment with other forms. Most people benefit from the calming property of glycine. I personally would go with the magnesium bicarb before the citrate. You might consider using some of the the WW concentrate (as is) instead of diluting it. I use half an ounce to an ounce several times a day for the alkalizing effect. No bowel issues.

As for bowel tolerance with the citrate form, everyone has a different level. I can't take much more than 300 mg of Mg citrate before it affects my GI motility, but that may be because I am using the bicarbonate, malate and glycinated forms as well.

Keep in mind that better absorption just means it gets from the gut portals into the blood stream... it does not mean it actually gets inside the cells better...where it works... that's another function entirely.

Good luck with your experiment.

Jackie
April 05, 2014 12:49PM
Thanks George and Jackie. I used a combo of the malate and citrate forms yesterday and had diarrhea this morning. Guess I used too much--will have to continue experimenting. I tried to use my normal 700mg amount that I use with my DFH glycinate, but obviously can't use that much with the citrate and malate combo.

Jackie, I like your idea of the bicarb WW undiluted and will try that as soon as my bowels get back to normal, but wonder how that will affect my weak LES. Do you know how much magnesium is in an ounce of of the undiluted WW?

Thanks much.
Nancy M
April 06, 2014 10:00AM
Hi Nancy,

Sorry for the delay, its my first day back from my two weeks in the trenches finishing the latest newsletter. Regarding Jigsaw, yes they always had a few cofactor nutrients but expanded the added cofactors not to long ago I believe. the amount of Methyl- B-12 is only 200mcg, a very small dose and its oral as well which limits its absorption so you need not worry about it having some negative impact on your methylation issue. It may not be the preferred version but its not going to cause any problems.

What I like about the Jigsaw most, in addition to its easier ability to more finely titrate to oral dose with a much easier swallowing smaller thinner 125mg caplet, is that thesis the only time released formula of chelated magnesium I am aware of and that, I feel, is a big help especially for Afibbers who tend to be Mag wasters in a big way. Its a good idea to still take it two or three times a day in divided doses like that, and that should result in much more uniform blood and IC levels of magnesium.

Cheers!

Shannon
April 06, 2014 03:18PM
Nancy –

One (1) liter of concentrated magnesium bicarbonate water will have approximately 1500 mg of magnesium and approximately 7500 mg of bicarbonate

33.814 ounces in one liter… just a bit more than 1 quart.

1500 divided by 33.8 = 45.45 mg magnesium/ounce of WW concentrate…

While 45 mg doesn’t seem like much, keep in mind that according to what Erling’s research produced way back when during the formulation of the home version of the commercially available, patented Unique Water… we learned that

........"Magnesium dissolved in water (ionized) is said to be about 30% more "bio-available" than when in a tablet or capsule form. To get the approximate equivalent amount of magnesium in a bound (non-ionized) tablet form add 30% to the values for Mg in this water.
For example, if 1 liter of this water has 132 mg of Mg, the approximate equivalent amount in a tablet is (132 + 30%) = 171 mg of Mg "

So in this case, 45 mg magnesium in one ounce of concentrate x 30% would be 58.50 mg magnesium.

Erling’s research indicates this excerpt: … “Magnesium-bicarbonate is a molecule that apparently does not dissociate into its constituent Mg++ and HCO3- ions until it enters cells…. which is very important on several levels.”

Following is a clip from Erling’s research on health benefits of consuming the magnesium bicarbonate form via the water that was posted in 2012 . Just FYI…. It’s compelling evidence for consuming this form of magnesium and after re-reading this again, I’m going to cut back on some of the other forms and add more of the of the magnesium bicarbonate both concentrate and in water as the alkalizing properties are so compelling. I am, after all, a member of the aging population… as we all are.

Non Pharmaceutical Health Care and Unique Water
Non Pharmaceutical Health Care is an academic research group based in Australia. Non Pharmaceutical Health Care embraces an approach to health care that emphasises the importance of the maintenance of health in the prevention of disease and in the prolongation of a healthy life. Central to this approach is the recognition that the maintenance of health requires the maintenance of optimal thermodynamic conditions in the body so that body cells maintain their life processes.

It is our hypothesis that there is overwhelming scientific, medical and empirical evidence that it is possible to slow the ageing process, to assist the prevention of the onset of degenerative diseases and to extend your lifespan if you avoid the damaging effects of excess acid and carbon dioxide in your body.

April 11, 2000. U.S. Patent 6,048,553 Russell Beckett [patft.uspto.gov]

Continue [www.afibbers.org]

Go slowly…start with low dosing and space it out throughout the day.

Jackie

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/07/2014 08:54AM by Jackie.
April 06, 2014 08:13PM
Okay, For over a month, I have been taking in 1 liter of the WW Water daily(over a 6 hour period generally). I also have begun taking 200 mg of Chelated Magnesium a day(Bluebonnet). Have been for 4 days

My bowels are no where "loose". Should I increase to 200 mg of the chelated Magnesium to 2x daily or the one ounce of the concentrated WW water?

I will say after starting Quercentin and Chelated Magnesium my Interstitial Cystitis is doing much better. I hate to brag because I am so scared it is a "fluke" but I have made a turn around in the last 2 weeks. My heart is as quiet as a singer sewing machine.

Love this website.
April 06, 2014 08:43PM
Thanks so much, Shannon and Jackie.

Shannon, I noticed that the magnesium is "di", and was concerned that it might contain glycinate as its second magnesium like my Designs for Health brand does, so I went to Jigsaw's website but couldn't find an answer to what they mean by dimagnesium malate. Do you know? Also, I see it has 5 mg of P5P, which I am not supposed to take with my CBS SNP, but it seems that 5mg spread throughout the day couldn't do much harm.

Jackie, I started taking the WW concentrate yesterday and spread 3 oz throughout the day. I also took 150mg of Nutricology mag citrate and 150mg of Source Naturals mag malate that I had on hand, and my stools were a little loose, but I slept better than usual. I definitely need to get my pH more alkaline, so the WW concentrate is solving two problems. I will continue to take the WW concentrate as part of my mag supplement! I'll add the Jigsaw mag to it if Shannon says it doesn't contain glycinate.

The next thing I checked was my DFH potassium, and guess what, it is potassium glycinate! My DFH Complete Mineral Complex is full of it too--zinc, selenium, manganese, chromium, copper, molybdenum, potassium, and vanadium are all glycinate! Sigh! I guess I'll go to iHerb and see what I can find in the way of potassium malate or citrate, if that exists! Or I can order from Dr. Yasko's website, but her supplements are pricey.

We downloaded Dr. Yasko's book and workbook yesterday, but instead of starting to read it, I spent hours trying to do more research online on glutamate foods which affect my GAD1 and CBS SNPs. Glutamate may be the primary cause for my digestion and insomnia issues, from what I've been reading in Yasko's articles. I've found several glutamate food charts, but none of them are complete, so I'm continuing to look.

Thanks so much for your help. My head is just spinning with all this new methylation information. But as Yasko says, "This is a marathan, not a sprint", so I need to de-stress and take things slowly as I learn and try to apply them.

Blessings to you both,
Nancy M
April 06, 2014 11:08PM
Smackman,

The diluted WW has about 125 mg mag/liter, so fairly dilute. I'd add more of the tablets.

Some write that having loose bowels strip other electrolytes. I've not found this to be true for me, when the loose bowels are caused by excess mag. The mag is hydrophillic, so it absorbs a lot of water and bulks up the stools this way. My own success has been from pushing bowel tolerance and I've been doing so for years.

George
April 07, 2014 07:55AM
GeorgeN Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Smackman,
>
> The diluted WW has about 125 mg mag/liter, so
> fairly dilute. I'd add more of the tablets.
>
> Some write that having loose bowels strip other
> electrolytes. I've not found this to be true for
> me, when the loose bowels are caused by excess
> mag. The mag is hydrophillic, so it absorbs a lot
> of water and bulks up the stools this way. My own
> success has been from pushing bowel tolerance and
> I've been doing so for years.
>
> George

Today, I will increase to 200 mg Chelated Magnesium 2X a day and I will drink 1 liter of WW water.
April 07, 2014 08:58AM
Nancy - Please note that I've made an error in the calculations ... several people kindly emailed me that

30% more than the 45 mg would be 58.50 mg of Mg in one ounce of the WW concentrate. Big difference.

Very sorry for the mistake. I should make sure that my brain is fully functional in the morning before I post.

I have corrected the original statement.

Jackie
April 07, 2014 09:55AM
Smackman - About the bowel tolerance issue: As long as you ramp up dosing slowly, you should not get into a full-blown diarrheal state since, typically, you’ll have the indicator of stool becoming much more soft as you increase the magnesium intake. The citrate form is the most apt to cause loose stools quickly when the dosing is high. One of the magnesium experts, Aileen Burford-Mason, PhD a biochemist, immunologist and cell biologist, says that the goal should be enough magnesium supplements to produce two soft bowel movements a day. So when you start reaching that point, then you’ll know not to continue ramping up the dosing.

Don’t forget that you can also use the topical magnesium gel or ‘oil’ that helps replete deficient cells without causing bowel issues…should that become an issue.

There are great variations in tolerance for magnesium supplementing… depending on the form and also the health of the intestinal tract and portal (transfer) areas into the blood stream. If receptors are clogged, then magnesium will exit the body quickly before it gets to the receptor areas on the cell membranes.

Everyone benefits from the greatly from alkalizing effect of the bicarbonate portion of the WW magnesium... you especially with the large number of acid-producing Rx drugs that you take that are working continually to deplete your magnesium.

Here’s a clip from a previous post

Common Depleters of Magnesium
• Stress is an important factor and affects most people today.
• Medications …including diuretics, birth control pills, hormone replacement therapy, cancer chemotherapy, corticosteroids, some antibiotics, insulin and pain killers.
• Sugar
• Starchy carbs
• Heavy metals such as lead and cadmium from environmental pollution– decrease blood and organ magnesium accumulation and increase urinary magnesium excretion. Cigarette smoking is a major source of cadmium, lead and mercury exposure (and many other toxins).
• Alcohol- all forms cause significant losses
• Amphetamines/Cocaine
• Burns- with large surface area
• Calcium- high levels block magnesium absorption
• Carbohydrates- especially white sugar, high fructose corn syrup, white flour
• Chronic pain- any cause
• Coffee- significant losses
• Cyclosporin- extra magnesium can protect from side-effects
• Diabetes- magnesium spills with sugar in the urine
• Diarrhea- any cause
• Dieting- stress plus lowered intake
• Diuretics- even potassium sparing diuretics do not spare magnesium
• Insulin- whether from using insulin or from hyperinsulinemia
• Over-training- extreme athletic physical conditioning/training
• Phentermine / Fenfluramine
• Sodas- especially cola type sodas, both diet and regular
• Sodium- high salt intake
• Stress- physical and mental- anything that gets your fight or flight reaction
• Surgery
• Sweat
Source: K Sullivan

An interesting study:
Magnesium and the inflammatory response: Potential physiopathological implications

Abstract
The purpose of this review is to summarize experimental findings showing that magnesium modulates cellular events involved in inflammation. Experimental magnesium deficiency in the rat induces after a few days a clinical inflammatory syndrome characterized by leukocyte and macrophage activation, release of inflammatory cytokines and acute phase proteins, excessive production of free radicals. Increase in extracellular magnesium concentration, decreases inflammatory response while reduction in the extracellular magnesium results in cell activation. Because magnesium acts as a natural calcium antagonist, the molecular basis for inflammatory response is probably the result of modulation of intracellular calcium concentration. The priming of phagocytic cells, the opening calcium channel and activation of N-methyl-d-aspartate (NMDA) receptors, the activation of nuclear factor-kappa B (Nfkappa) have been considered as potential mechanisms. Moreover, magnesium deficiency induces a systemic stress response by activation of neuro endocrinological pathways. As nervous and immune systems interact bidirectionally, the roles of neuromediators have also been considered. Magnesium deficiency contributes to an exaggerated response to immune stress and oxidative stress is the consequence of the inflammatory response. Inflammation contributes to the pro-atherogenic changes in lipoprotein metabolism, endothelial dysfunction, thrombosis, hypertension and explains the aggravating effect of magnesium deficiency on the development of metabolic syndrome. Further studies are still needed to assess more accurately the role of magnesium in immune response in humans, but these experimental findings in animal models suggest that inflammation is the missing link to explain the role of magnesium in many pathological conditions.
[www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov]
[www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov]

Read more at this thread on magnesium from December 2010
[www.afibbers.org]

I'm glad you are getting relief with the Quercetin.

Best to you,
Jackie
April 07, 2014 01:40PM
Thanks, Jackie, for the correction. So if I round it off, one ounce of WW concentrate is about 60mg, so by drinking 3 ounces, I'm getting 180 mg. That is on top of the amount I would get by drinking about a quart of diluted WW a day, plus my other supplements of about 300mg so far from mag citrate and malate. My stools were closer to normal today but still not quite right, so I won't push any more mag until my body adjusts a bit more.

I emailed my nutritionist and he was surprised by Dr. Yasko's statement about not using mag glycinate. Like you, he said he always found it calming for his patients. He is looking in to other possible supplements for potassium and mineral complete that doesn't have the glycinate. I never know just how much to follow what someone like Yasko says. She may be an expert in her field, but does she know what's best for me--with my heart situation, etc. ??

Thanks again for your help on the WW concentrate.

Blessings,
Nancy M
April 07, 2014 06:33PM
My issue with increasing my Magnesium intake seems to be Low Heart Rate. My resting heart rate is in the low 50's drinking 1 quart of Waller Water and 2 200 mg of chelated magnesium ; one in the morning and one at bedtime.

I am still on Multaq And a Low dose of Lopressor (12.5 mg 2x a day). I do not want to cause arrhythmia issues. I should get off the Multaq after Easter.

Any thought on this would be appreciated that is the lower heart rate taking Magnesium.
April 07, 2014 07:13PM
Smackman,

I take around 3.8 grams mag/day. I've not taken this quantity but fairly large quantities for nearly 10 years. My resting heart rate hasn't really changed. If anything it has gone up slightly as I've not done any endurance training for six years, although I'm still pretty active.

George
April 07, 2014 09:03PM
I am taking Doctor's Best magnesium glycerinate , chelated. Somewhere I read that magnesium tablets may aggravate acid reflux. I decided that if I chewed the tablets with a meal that would prevent any stomach problems. However from reading about wheee in the digestive tract , magnesium shoud be to be adequately absorbed, is this the wrong approach to take?
April 07, 2014 11:53PM
With all the mag I take, I've taken with and without food without any issues or difference. The mag forms include liquid, powder and tablets.
April 08, 2014 12:25PM
hstamas,

According to my nutritionist, magnesium can relax the lower esophageal sphinxter muscle, which contributes to GERD. This happens to me, but everyone is different. It may not cause you a problem. I also have a gene mutation in the CBS pathway which causes my LES to be weak and stay open when it shouldn't, so there are many reasons GERD can happen.

Nancy M
April 08, 2014 02:31PM
Nancy, Your response re reflux makes me take notice. I have Just been diagnosed with lower esophageal sphincter muscle relaxing and causing the irritation of the esophagus at that point. I asked the gastroenterologist if the sphincter relaxing is common to an elder person and he said no, it can happen to anyone but I never did discuss my theory that magnesium might somehow be a factor in my case. by irritating the lining. Too bad I did not have your info. so that I could pass it by him Is
there any source that I can check this with? Anyone else out there have this condition?
April 08, 2014 08:03PM
hstamas,

My nutritionist asked me to cut down my magnesium, which I hesitantly did, and to add calcium to my supplement program, which was supposed to tighten the sphincter muscle. This was a huge mistake! I ended up with afib several times and daily tachycardia until I stopped the calcium. Don't let anyone talk you into taking calcium. In fact, I heard a fantastic talk on radioliberty.com a couple weeks ago about the hazards of calcium. The book is entitled Death by Calcium.. The author says never to take calcium supplements!

Nancy M
April 09, 2014 09:16AM
Nancy - The book, Death by Calcium, is written by board certified cardiologist, Thomas E. Levy, MD, JD.

He officially documents the dilemma of supplemental calcium's adverse effects on the body... and although it is well known that calcium has the propensity to overwhelm magnesium at every opportunity, it's amazing that some practitioners remain in the dark about the risks . For afibbers to take supplemental calcium is sheer disaster...especially when they are most likely already low in intracellular magnesium stores.

Dr. Levy has written a number of books on nutritional interventions for curing various diseaes and as preventives...ie, Stop America's #1 Killer
[www.peakenergy.com]

Jackie
April 09, 2014 10:20AM
Hi Nancy,
Please don't follow your nutritionists advice on this one! Telling you to cut your mag and add in more calcium is almost always very poor advice. Typically I hear that kind of advice from someone who is just trying to follow a formulaic cookie cutter approach to nutritional balancing based on some rule of thumb ratios they read somewhere.

Almost all of those published ratios with regard to Cal-Mag ratios are weighted far too strongly in favor of calcium based on older flawed and incomplete research. Most what looks like a calcium deficiency on a blood test or hair analysis, the vast percentage of the time is due to a lack of IC magnesium/ potassium and often a combination of too low Vitamin D3 and Vitamin K and/or K2.

When those nutrients and pro-hormones (which Vit D and K are) are out of whack too low it can deplete IC calcium stores, but the problem is rarely too little dietary or supplemental calcium . Insure those four are in a good range first and your body will extract and assimilate all the calcium it needs from even a modestly decent diet in all but confirmed cases of hypocalcemia .. And even most of those case are made worse by a lack of the four nutrients above.

An Afibber should be highly skeptical of any advice to take more calcium and drop their Magnesium unless they have a clear IC overdose of Mag and deficient IC calcium on at least two as Exatests, plus you want to confirm very low serum calcium and very high serum magnesium as corroborating markers as well.

Just be very careful about following this piece of advice, at least, from your nutritionist friend. Read the book Jackie references and then you'll be better armed to avoid adopting something like this that might not be in your best interest. At least confirm what all your IC numbers on the above values really are before even considering what this person is recommending you do here.

Take care,
Shannon

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/09/2014 10:53AM by Shannon.
April 09, 2014 11:41AM
I have been on 200 mg of chelated Magnesium 2X a day for 4 days; I take one at 10 AM; The other at 10 PM. I also drink 1 liter of Waller water a day. My stools are not any looser than before I began the Chelated Magnesium.

I eat a "fairly" high fiber diet. I consume 2 fiber bars a day which have 9 grams of fiber in each bar. I have been eating these fiber bars for over a year to keep from being constipated. I can get constipated easily. I assume that my medications are to blame for this.

Should I increase my chelated magnesium intake or what?

Thanks for any input.

5 mg Valium a day as needed.
20 mg Prozac daily
15 mg Prevacid a day
60 cc shot of Testosterone Cypionate every 10 days. Testosterone is low due to schedule two narcotics.
.5 mg Arimidex 2x a week to keep Estrogen levels in check. T shots can cause rise in Estrogen.

100 mg Metoprolol ER 1x a day
25 mg HydroDiuril fluid pill 1x a day every 2 days.
Neurontin 900mg a day (for Neuropathic pain IC/CPPS)
800 mg of Magnesium daily . Different types
81 mg aspirin 1X a day. Heart Doctor order due to stent installed in Jan. 2012.
2.5 mg Eliquis 2X a day

Miralax 1x a day for constipation issues. I have tried so many different methods for Constipation since 2008. Fiber is in my diet but to much Fiber really Constipates me.

25 mg/hcr Fentanyl.patch changed every 2 days

1st ablation done Feb. 27, 2014 for Long term persistent AFIB Dr. Natale
2nd Ablation done June 16,2016 Dr. Natale LAA isolated
April 09, 2014 03:22PM
Smack,

I'd gradually increase and keep adding till you get either loose stools or you perceive something negative.

George
April 09, 2014 05:00PM
I agree with George, Smackman,

With the various meds you take and quite of few of those known magnesium wasters for sure, its highly likely you are barely scratching the surface with IC magnesium levels yet. Its also hard to absorb oral magnesium in any event, even without all the mag draining competition from all the drugs which seems to be what your body is telling you as well with the constipation and ongoing anxiety issues.

When you get good IC mag levels too your anxiety will lessen as well Smack and let getting at two bowel movements a day that are well formed and not too hard or too loose or and not more frequent than twice a day, be your guide as to when you have enough IC mag on board.

You will no doubt need a lot more than most people due to the chronic pain and well as various meds you require at the moment.

Shannon
April 09, 2014 08:22PM
Thanks Shannon and Jackie,

I have learned my lesson about calcium although I am still getting about 200mg a day from my DFH Complete Mineral Complex, which I will be changing soon as all the minerals in it are glycinate forms, which I can't have with my CBS gene mutation. I want to eliminate it completely from my supplements. I have not taken calcium in the past 20 years, until this recent nutritionist
said to do so to close my LES; however, in fairness to him, it was to be a two week experiement. Once my LES closed, I would stop or reduce the calcium; however, it never closed as we had hoped. I had learned from Dr. Donald Carrow, the Medical Maverick, 20 years ago that we get all the calcium we need from our foods. He said never to supplement it--he was way ahead of his time!

I have been reading Dr. Amy Yasko's book Autism: Pathways to Recovery, which deals with methylation defects due to gene mutations. In Chapter 4, she talks extensively about glutamate and calcium. She says: "Glutamate can bind to six different types of receptors located in the brain, including the NMDA receptor, which helps the body carry calcium into the nerves. The combination of glutamate and excessive calcium makes it impossible for the neurons (nerve cells) to rest. The neurons continue to fire without stopping, causing the release of inflammatory mediators, which trigger additional calcium influx. This ongoing firing process results in neural cell inflammation and the death of neurons. Magnesium can modulate the calcium flow, as can zinc. (However, zinc is a double-edged sword since it can also activate glutamate release via the non-NMDA glutamate receptors.)" I love her anology: "If glutamate is the gun, then calcium is the bullet." According to Dr. Yasko, to reduce calcium excess, one can use these: Magnesium, Boswellia, Vinpocetine, Zinc, Lithium orotate, Paradex or wormwood. Obviously, in my case, I need to reduce calcium as much as possible because my glutamate level is too high since my GAD1 gene blocks glutamate from becoming GABA as it should.

Thanks again for your help on this.

Blessings,
Nancy M
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login