Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Workout and ectopics

Posted by CatalinRo 
Workout and ectopics
February 24, 2014 02:50AM
I search for the subject but not found something related with this.
I want to know how workout affect your heart rhythm.
I have very rare afib episodes but from time to time I feel ectopics that in my case usually could start an afib episode.
Since recently I notice that 2-3 min after I start workout (running, biking, swimming) I feel ectopics in my chest (flutter like) without any other sign (like feeling tired or dizzy). After progressing with workout ectopics seems to become more rare or even disappear.
Of course I am a bit more worry now and this put more pressure on me and on my ectopics trigger.
Usually a regular doctor will put me on beta-blockers or other drugs and I do not want that.
I am thinking to wait another couple of weeks to see if there are no improvements and going ahead with my regular workout program (that is not an aggressive one).

Here I found a good articles about ectopics:
Ectopics and concerns
Anonymous User
Re: Workout and ectopics
February 24, 2014 05:19AM
Catalin, good to hear from you again. Thank you for that excellent article, clearly written and containing a very good drawing to help with explanation. I wish i could explain your new surge of ectopics but i cannot. Do you have access to some source of magnesium glycinate, and are you taking as much of it as your bowel will tolerate without diarrhea, every day without fail? Does your diet contain at least 4-5 grams of potassium every day? For those of us who have put this genie back into its bottle, those are the basic requirements.

All the best of luck to you in this and everything.

PeggyM
February 24, 2014 08:12AM
CatalinRo,

Follow Peggy's suggestion and there are more details here: http://www.afibbers.org/resources/strategy.pdf]The Strategy[/url] and here: http://www.afibbers.org/resources/PacTamer.pdf]PAC Tamer recipe[/url].

These protocols followed with dedication almost always do the trick in calming down or greatly lessening ectopic periods.

Best wishes,

Shannon
February 24, 2014 07:10PM
Catalin,

If you have an iPhone, the app HVR Logger along with a Polar H7 (bluetooth) chest transmitter strap would allow you do "see" kind of ectopics you are experiencing and quantify them. I've used a Polar S810 watch for years for this purpose and example charts are shown in CR 52 and 52a in the Conference Room archives. The app will export csv R to R files to Dropbox, where they can be examined and charted in Excel. R to R files show the length of each beat in milliseconds. I convert these to decimal minutes (by dividing the cumulative millisecond time by 60000 and decimal heart rate by dividing the ms beat length into 60000. I also have all the filters in the app turned off. Otherwise they will filter out the data you are interested in.

It is pretty easy to pick out NSR, PAC's, PVC's and afib this way.

George
February 25, 2014 10:47PM
George,
can you compare your polar s810 watch + the application you mentioned with the alive cor iphone device?
can the alive cor do the same jop better and easier?
best regards

Ben
February 25, 2014 11:32PM
Hi Ben,

The Alive Cor and the Polar strap really serve different functions (I have both). The Alive Cor has the advantage of giving you an ECG reading vs. just a tachogram (heart rate vs. time or beat length vs. time). If you need to see the ECG waveforms, obviously the Alive Cor gives that to you. However it is not suitable for extended monitoring, as you need to hold it the entire time and also not move much or you're data are garbled from loss of contact with the skin.

Even if you do hold it for an extended period, the ECG is harder to interpret quickly than the tachogram. Afib should be fairly obvious on the ECG, but PAC's and PVC's can be harder to see as you are looking for the R to R peak-time variation. Sometimes you just need to actually measure the R to R peaks and look for the shorter time. I know as I also have an ECG device that uses leads and can be used for more extended monitoring, though you still need to be relatively still.

If you really want longer term ECG monitoring, a holter device is needed. Last I looked, these could be purchased from China on eBay in the range of $700-$800 US. I've also borrowed a friend's holter, but it is a pain to use also. The adhesive pads cause skin irritation after a while. Several posters here over the years have purchased their own holter montiors. If you choose this route, make sure the holter comes with analysis software.

The way I typically use either the Polar watch or the iPhone app with a Polar strap is to record for an hour or so while I meditate. I then can quickly scan the output looking for PAC's or PVC's - less being better. This morning, I recorded for 65 minutes with no PAC's or PVC's. Though you can use it longer, I typically only use the Alive Cor for 30 seconds.

My theory for relatively long term monitoring when I started using the Polar 9 years ago was that PVC & PAC rates were a useful metric by which to judge the efficacy of my supplement and lifestyle interventions.

Let me know if you have additional questions.

George

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/26/2014 10:02AM by GeorgeN.
February 26, 2014 03:26PM
GeorgeN
Thank you for your clear explanation.

ben
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login