Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Time off work for ablation

Posted by PhilS 
Time off work for ablation
February 14, 2014 12:10PM
Hi All

As nearly at the point scheduling an ablation I just wanted to canvass opinion on how long people take off work (assuming all goes well).

Consultant is saying no exercise for 1 week so thinking one week off should be ok?

Regards

Phil
Re: Time off work for ablation
February 14, 2014 05:49PM
Thanks usually fine Phil,

Depends on the job, if you can afford to take a few more half days beyond a week after ablation then all the better, but that is optional in most cases. Technically if you really had too you could probably start back at a low physical stress job after the 4 day out if the hospital but why push it. Better to ease back in, if you have the luxury of being able to take a week off then perhaps half days for the next 3 days before resuming full time work.

Nevertheless, it's up to how you feel and the demands of your job plus sick days you gave built up, pay loss etc.

Shannon
February 14, 2014 06:09PM
Hi Phil,
After my last ablation, I took off a couple of days and felt ready to go... I work a fairly stressful job for a computer company and found that even though I could handle it physically, I was not up to speed mentally. I took a few more days off and came back at 100%... It's something that's very much personal- I remember last year an NFL football coach had an ablation on a Saturday and coached a football game on Sunday...
Good luck and take your time!
Purple Haze
February 14, 2014 08:05PM
Phil- my ablation was on a Friday. At various points in the subsequent week I contended with some in-the-bigger-picture mild issues such as a low grade fever/malaise for a couple days (starting day 4 or 5), a somewhat large but non-urgent hematoma in my thigh below one of the groin incision points, constipation, etc. None were major issues and all resolved but because minor complications like these can occur post-ablation--and aren't uncommon judging from others' posts--I'd take at least that full week, plus a little extra cushion if you can afford it. I also was very protective of my three groin incisions for the maximum of the recommended interval of 7-10 days, plus a few, because I am on Xarelto. And even though cleared for exercise, I am playing it safe and still at week 3 gradually easing back into my pre-ablation physical activities. Guess it depends on physical demands of your job and personal comfort level. - Randy
February 14, 2014 08:17PM
The first ten days or so after my ablation I was really wiped out. Returned to work after three weeks and then had a delayed inflammatory response. So I guess it depends on the individual and how much work is done inside the heart with the branding iron. Best wishes!
March 14, 2014 12:25PM
All - I've realised not responded to your replies.

Thanks very much for input. As you say depends how it goes. I can also take more sick leave if needed so will start with a week.

Ablation is next Wed 19-Mar so starting to get a little anxious!!

Regards

Phil
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login