Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Magnesium Threonate question

Posted by RonB 
Magnesium Threonate question
December 21, 2013 11:01PM
Does anyone have information about Magnesium L-Threnate? This is a product that is promoted by Dr Mercola. My wife just ordered it and I wonder if it would be worth adding it to my daily intake of Mg glycinate.
Ron
Re: Magnesium Threonate question
December 21, 2013 11:58PM
Ron,

No info, however my own Mg experience has been there is not a big difference between the various formulations. I take a huge amount - over 3g/day. This is inclusive of the Albion patented dimagnesium malate (2g), KAL brand glycinate (.4g), MgCl2 (.8g) [a solution I make from nigari flakes] and Mg Bicarb (.3g) [Waller Water concentrate]. I've been playing with mag for over nine years, and it is a cornerstone of my afib remission strategy. That being said, I've taken all of one and/or mixed and matched with various doses and my bowel tolerance doesn't vary a lot.

When I travel by airplane [or raft as I did this summer], I don't bring the liquid formulations with me so will switch to just dimag and glycinate.

I've also taken only the chloride solution.

George

Why take so many different kinds? I guess 'cause it is more interesting.
December 22, 2013 08:39AM
Hi Ron and George,

I've ben taking Life Extensions Magnesium Threonate called 'Neuro-Mag' for the last two years with two capsules twice a day morning and before bed.

Mag Threonate is a special form of Magnesium that more readily passes through the blood/brain barrier and some studies support its enhancement of cognitive function.

It also has much less tendency toward bowel intolerance than many other oral forms of magnesium.

Seems to help sleep too.

Shannon
December 22, 2013 10:40AM
Ron - Based on my research focus on antiaging supportive nutrients, I've also added the mag threonate to my regimen for the past several years for brain wellness support. I don't find that it causes me additional bowel stress but start slowly as everyone is different.

Be sure yours says the Magtein™ which is magnesium chelated to threonic acid (magnesium L-threonate). This ionophore has been found to be superior to other forms of magnesium at getting through the blood brain barrier as it is able to transport ions (in this case magnesium ions) across lipid membranes, including brain cells.

The literature indicates: Magnesium ions regulate calcium ion flow in neuronal calcium channels, helping to regulate neuronal nitric oxide production. In magnesium deficiency, neuronal requirements for magnesium may not be met, causing neuronal damage, which could manifest as memory loss, depression and more.

Anxiety disorders, such as phobias and post traumatic stress disorder, are among the most common mental disorders and are associated with magnesium deficiency. Stress exposure, depending on its intensity and duration, affects cognition and learning. Following is a direct quote from a study published in the Journal of Neurosciences, 2011: “Studies suggest that enhancement of plasticity in certain brain regions such as the prefrontal cortex (PFC) and/or hippocampus might enhance the efficacy of cognitive therapy. We found that elevation of brain magnesium, by a novel magnesium compound [magnesium-l-threonate (MgT)], enhances synaptic plasticity in the hippocampus and learning and memory in rats. Here, we show that MgT treatment enhances retention of the extinction of fear memory, without enhancing, impairing, or erasing the original fear memory.” Even aged rats showed improvement in memory.

Several studies indicate that these same synaptic connections in the brain hippocampus, a critical brain region for learning and memory, decline during aging. Studies have also found low levels of magnesium in the brains of patients suffering from Alzheimer’s disease. Magtein™ was found in animal studies to increase learning ability, working memory, and short- and long-term memory. Magetein™ enhances functioning of the hippocampus by improving synaptic plasticity and NMDA (N-Methyl-D-aspartate) receptor-dependent signaling. Researchers at MIT conclude that elevating brain magnesium levels with Magtein™ may be beneficial in enhancing cognitive abilities and preventing age-related memory decline. Increasing plasticity in the prefrontal cortex and amygdala of the brain improves memory because these brain areas are also deeply involved in mediating the effects of exposure to stress on memory.

Jackie

References
1. Effects of elevation of brain magnesium on fear conditioning, fear extinction, and synaptic plasticity in the infralimbic prefrontal cortex and lateral amygdala. Abumaria N, et al. J Neurosci. 2011 Oct 19;31(42):14871-81.

2. Kalzium ist nicht alles. Bush AI. Neuron. 2010 Jan 28;65(2):143-4.

3. Enhancement of learning and memory by elevating brain magnesium. Slutsky I, et al. Neuron. 2010 Jan 28;65(2):165-77.

4. The role of the medial prefrontal cortex-amygdala circuit in stress effects on the extinction of fear. Akirav I, Maroun M. Neural Plast. 2007;2007:30873. Epub 2007 Jan 16.
December 22, 2013 03:03PM
The ability to cross the blood-brain barrier is not limited to magnesium l-threonate. How else could the level of magnesium be elevated in the brain as compared to blood?

[stroke.ahajournals.org]

Several studies show that magnesium does cross the blood–brain barrier, in both animals and in humans.1 Brain magnesium concentrations are regulated by active blood–brain barrier transport.2,3 Cerebrospinal fluid magnesium concentration increases by 20% to 25% in response to doubling of the serum concentration, and peaks around 4 hours after parenteral administration.3–5....

1 Muir KW. Magnesium for neuroprotection in ischaemic stroke: rationale for use and evidence of effectiveness. CNS Drugs. 2001; 15: 921–930.
CrossRefMedline

2 Oppelt WW, MacIntyre I, Rall DP. Magnesium exchange between blood and cerebrospinal fluid. Am J Physiol. 1963; 205: 959–962.
Abstract/FREE Full Text

3 Fuchs-Buder T, Tramer MR, Tassonyi E. Cerebrospinal fluid passage of intravenous magnesium sulfate in neurosurgical patients. J Neurosurg Anesthesiol. 1997; 9: 324–328.
Medline

4 Thurnau GR, Kemp DB, Jarvis A. Cerebrospinal fluid levels of magnesium in patients with preeclampsia after treatment with intravenous magnesium sulfate. Am J Obstet Gynecol. 1987: 1435–1438.

5 Fong J, Gurewitsch ED, Volpe L, Wagner WE, Gomillion MC, August P. Baseline serum and cerebrospinal fluid magnesium levels in normal pregnancy and preeclampsia. Obstet Gynecol. 1995; 85: 444–448.

I am trying to find out if mag L-threonate has beneficial properties beyond mag glycinate, and cannot find any.

Lone paroxysmal vagal atrial fibrillation. Age 62, female, no risk factors. Autonomic instability since severe Paxil withdrawal in 2004, including extreme sensitivity to neuro-active drugs, supplements, foods. Monthly tachycardia started 1/11, happened only at night, during sleep, or when waking, bouts of 5-15 hours. Changed to afib about a year ago, same pattern. Frequency increased over last 6 months, apparently with sensitivity to more triggers. Ablation 6/27/13 by Steven Hao.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/22/2013 03:05PM by Iatrogenia.
December 22, 2013 03:35PM
Iatrogenia...follow more on the synaptic plasticity aspect.... ie, We found that elevation of brain magnesium, by a novel magnesium compound [magnesium-l-threonate (MgT)], enhances synaptic plasticity in the hippocampus and learning and memory in rats.

The literature I've read says that the magnesium in Magtein (TM) is chelated to threonic acid (magnesium L-threonate) and is superior to other forms of magnesium at getting through the blood brain barrier. Researchers at MIT cncluded that Magetin (TM) may be a useful stregegy to enhance cognitive abilities and prevent age-related memory decline. (as opposed to theamino acid chelated magnesium bis-glycinate by the Albion process used for other targets...heart muscle, skeletal muscle, etc)...

Jackie
December 22, 2013 07:27PM
From the literature I read, mag L-threonate is not superior to any other type of mag in crossing the blood-brain barrier.

Lone paroxysmal vagal atrial fibrillation. Age 62, female, no risk factors. Autonomic instability since severe Paxil withdrawal in 2004, including extreme sensitivity to neuro-active drugs, supplements, foods. Monthly tachycardia started 1/11, happened only at night, during sleep, or when waking, bouts of 5-15 hours. Changed to afib about a year ago, same pattern. Frequency increased over last 6 months, apparently with sensitivity to more triggers. Ablation 6/27/13 by Steven Hao.
December 22, 2013 11:09PM
Thanks everyone. If I am reading this right, there may be a be a benefit to the mag-L-Threonate although there is some controversy about whether it is better than the Albion product

I am currently at 200mg x 3 of Magnessium Glycinate plus WW plus occasional Epsom salt foot soaks. I am experiencing no bowel intolerance issues, but I am experiencing heart discomfort, so I would like to bump up my magnessium intake. It seems that there would be no harm, and yet a possible benefit to adding this product, so like George, maybe it be best to take a combination of different products. Does that make sense?

Ron
December 23, 2013 02:33PM
Ron - this isn't an either or choice.. it's in addition to..(also). using the Albion chelated version which reaches heart cells more adequately than many other forms. The threonate form is beneficial to brain health because it crosses the BBB easier. A combination of the two would make sense if you are thinking about brain health...otherwise, for heart... I'd stick with the Albion mag glycinate and make sure the product you buy isn't labeled "buffered" because that means buffered with calcium and you don't need that. Apparently Albion has two versions of the amino acid, chelated bisglycinate form. I (personally) would never consider using just the threonate form and giving up the magnesium bisglycinate amino acid chelated version... even though I may add other forms of magnesium to help in other areas.. such as magnesium malate for muscle aches or even mag citrate for a bowel flush periodically.

Jackie
December 24, 2013 04:21PM

The threonate form is beneficial to brain health because it crosses the BBB easier.

Jackie, I question whether this is so. Please read the citations I posted above.

This statement:

We found that elevation of brain magnesium, by a novel magnesium compound [magnesium-l-threonate (MgT)], enhances synaptic plasticity in the hippocampus and learning and memory in rats.

does not say mag threonate is exceptional among mag forms in crossing the blood-brain barrier. It says only that it elevates brain magnesium (which other forms of magnesium also do).

December 25, 2013 07:47PM
I neglected to say that most likely, the magnesium bicarbonate form of delivery is the absolute most efficient method of delivery to all cells... but I have not yet looked back into the specific Beckett research (and the Unique Water patent) to see if there is reference to crossing the BBB... Most likely, yes due to bicarbonate form.

Note this from LEF:

Most magnesium supplements do not readily cross the blood-brain barrier. To overcome this obstacle, an innovative form of magnesium is being introduced called magnesium threonate. Threonate is a vitamin C metabolite that acts as a carrier to help magnesium enter the brain. Other forms like magnesium chloride, gluconate, citrate, and glycinate don’t cross into the brain very well at all.

In preclinical models, L-threonate boosted magnesium levels in spinal fluid by an impressive 15% compared to no increase with conventional magnesium1.

Even more compelling, animal models revealed improvements of 18% for short-term memory and 100% for loMost magnesium supplements do not readily cross the blood-brain barrier. Source: [blog.lef.org]
===

Magnesium L-threonate may be the best magnesium supplement for memory loss because it enhances neuronal synapses and reduces beta amyloid plaques in the brain

The team’s previous research found that not only does magnesium L-threonate effectively cross the blood brain barrier and increase brain magnesium levels, supplementation with this form of magnesium enhances the connections (synapses) between brain neurons in the hippocampus, the region of the brain region where memories are processed. Profound loss of synapses is a major hallmark of Alzheimer’s disease and memory impairment. Earlier research also showed that magnesium-L-threonate reversed memory decline in aging rats without Alzheimer’s, indicating it may also be the best magnesium supplement for improving milder forms of memory loss associated with aging.

Source: [www.naturalhealthadvisory.com]

Jackie
December 26, 2013 04:23PM
I like LEF In general, but it is in error regarding mag threonate being exceptional in crossing the blood-brain barrier. Secondary sources are always a little dubious.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login