Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

TIKOSYN SIDE EFFECTS?

Posted by Murray L 
TIKOSYN SIDE EFFECTS?
July 29, 2013 01:38PM
Good day everyone:
MY EP does not want to see me for a year and has given me TWO YEARS of Tikosyn renewals, 60 days at a time.

MY ISSUE is that I believe, in the absence of ANY evidence to the contrary, that it is my TIKOSYN that is causing some rather unseemly side effects, namely:

* Early morning mild nausea (I am not pregnant thank you)
* Early morning insomnia, coincident with a feeling of 'electricity' in my upper body, or the jitters of a sort.
* Early morning "BALLOON HEAD" where I would not venture to drive my vehicle while suffering this condition. It is gone within a couple of hours of awakening.

These are the major (minor) side effects that I am certain that I am experiencing, as well as some fatigue and shortness of breath. EXTENSIVE testing shows ZERO aFib, but occasional skipped beats if my Potassium drops below absolute optimal levels (approaching 5.0), in conjunction with intake of ANY trigger such as cold water, caffeine, etc.

These side effects manifested themselves prior to my going vegetarian.

The EP acknowledges that various folks have different reactions to TIKOSYN and that I am fortunate that mine are so "mild" (sic). It is suggested that I stick with the TIKOSYN for as long as it works and I can live with it to permit my left atrium to continue to shrink (the good Lord willing) increasing the chances of a successful ablation and permitting technology to progress in the field.

MY QUESTION: Anyone else on TIKOSYN here? If so, how long and are you experiencing side effects? I would be grateful for some input once again.

I am MOST fortunate that my employment (IT Administration/Management and Real Estate Broker specializing in seniors' needs/downsizing/etc.) permit me a flexible schedule.

Murray L

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tikosyn uptake Dec 2011 500ug b.i.d. NSR since!
Herein lies opinion, not professional advice, which all are well advised to seek.
Anonymous User
Re: TIKOSYN SIDE EFFECTS?
July 29, 2013 04:17PM
Murray:

Have you tried a different anti-arrythmatic pill, perhaps you could do better on Fleck or propafenone, my EP didn't care for Tikosyn, he prescribed propafenone for me, I only take one tab. before bed so it doesn't give me any problems.

L
July 29, 2013 04:36PM
Murray, I was put back on Tikosyn after my ablation in December and am not having any obvious side effects. I did stay in the hospital for three days right after the ablation to monitor Tikosyn effects. I'm taking 250 mcgs twice a day. What dosage are you on?

My EP took me off rythmol saying it could further embed the electrical miscues.
July 29, 2013 06:20PM
I've been on Tikosyn for 14 months (250 mcg 2x daily) and I don't know of any side effects from it. It also hasn't successfully controlled my afib, but I was just recently diagnosed with sick sinus syndrome as well, to my dismay. I actually had the sick sinus symptoms before the afib was diagnosed (I had episodes of repeated near-blackouts), so I don't believe the Tikosyn caused the SSS. It just took the doctors awhile to sort it all out.
July 29, 2013 07:43PM
I am taking 500 ucg. twice a day. It controls my aFib wonderfully. I wish I could figure out if the TIKOSYN was causing these 'side-effects'. My EP says he has MANY people on TIKOSYN successfully and a small percentage (I believe it was 7 percent) DO INDEED experience a variety of side effects with "balloon head" being the primary one in the mornings.

Still looking for experiences with TIKOSYN; please keep them coming. I have come across some that could not tolerate TIKOSYN at all due to the side effects.

Murray L

Murray L

Herein lies opinion, not professional advice, which all are well advised to seek.
July 30, 2013 10:13AM
Murray - If you do a search in the post archives for author "Howie" and look for his Tikosyn testimonials, you'll find his success story. He used that very successfully for a long time until he decided to go for ablation with Dr. Natale. I don't recall if he had comments on side effects but he was a big fan of that drug.

Jackie
Anonymous User
July 30, 2013 01:31PM
Jackie:

Didn't Howie die a couple of years ago?

L
July 30, 2013 05:09PM
Yes, sadly, he did....quite a few years after his ablation and long after his Tikosyn experiences.
August 03, 2013 12:43PM
Interesting unintended experiment this morning!

Yesterday, I got so involved in registering domains and setting up my new Real Estate practice that I forgot to take my evening dose of TIKOSYN and worked late into the night.

This morning I awoke with the thickest case of balloon head that I have ever had, including a whopper headache (probably from going to bed at 4 a.m.). Anyway, took my regular dose of TIKOSYN at 10:00 a.m. this morning and it had little effect on the balloon head. It is now 12:45 pm and it will be another half hour or so before I will be comfy going out and driving about.

SO..... perhaps balloon head is NOT related to TIKOSYN at all but related, rather, to TIKOSYN withdrawal in the mornings? Dunno.

Murray L

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login