Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Cost of Natale ablation for foreigners

Posted by RonB 
Cost of Natale ablation for foreigners
April 20, 2013 11:28AM
Has anyone from Canada travelled to the US for an ablation with Dr Natale?? What is the cost for the procedure with him?
Re: Cost of Natale ablation for foreigners
April 20, 2013 09:37PM
At least two Canadian afibbers that I know of have had their ablation with Dr. Natale. I believe the cost was somewhere between $35,000 and $40,000.

Hans

PS. Please keep in mind that your trip to the US could become very expensive if you have complications needing medical attention or hospitalization. Also, most travel insurance plans do not cover you for medical expenses incurred (for whatever reason) if the purpose of your trip was to undergo medical treatment.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/21/2013 11:39AM by Hans Larsen.
April 21, 2013 10:59AM
Hi Ron,

Back in January of 2005 I did a search on Dr. Natale and found a phone number for his office. I believe at the time he was still at the Cleveland Clinic. I explained that I was from Vancouver and asked what the cost would be. If I remember correctly it was around $35,000 U.S. That was eight years ago and our dollar was valued at far less than today..
Bordeaux cost me $25,000 Canadian. That included all expenses, airfare, accommodation, food, and all hospital costs. Also at that time the Euro was valued at $1.55 compared to $1.30 now. Lastly, when it came to tax time I was able to reclaim around $5,000.

Lou
April 21, 2013 02:19PM
I noticed Dr Natale is listed as Executive Director, Al-Sabah Arrhythmia Institute in New York, while the EP that did my ablation at Mass General is now Director there.

[www.stlukeshospitalnyc.org]

Funded by His Highness Sheikh Sabah Al-Ahmad Al-Jaber Al-Sabah, the Amir of Kuwait, the 21,000 square foot Institute has the capacity to serve more than 3,000 patients annually and is the only facility focused specifically on arrhythmia in the New York City metropolitan area.

This world-class facility is being directed by Andrea Natale, MD, FACC, FHRS, FESC, an internationally recognized leader in arrhythmia management and ablation procedures. Throughout his career, Dr. Natale has focused on innovative advances in the treatment of atrial fibrillation and other complex arrhythmias. The opening of the Al-Sabah Arrhythmia Institute is a perfect match to his life-long goal of improving patient care through catheter ablation and specialized techniques.

Maybe this means Dr Natale works in NY as a result (in addition to Texas and California)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/21/2013 02:21PM by afhound99.
April 21, 2013 04:31PM
Yes i had an ablation with him two years ago. I am from Calgary. It cost 35k and a good portion of it was deductible on my taxes but i recommend getting a very complete invoice.
April 21, 2013 11:12PM
Hans, you had an ablation in Bordeaux and I am booked to have one there on June 3rd, and this business of medical insurance has been nagging me. If there are complications, which of course there will not be, I could be on the hook for the cost - correct?

Are you suggesting that any kind of problem were to occur at a different time in my trip that it would not be covered by my medical insurance??

Ron
April 22, 2013 01:12PM
Ron,

You'll have to read the fine print in your insurance policy. I have my travel insurance with the BC Automobile Association and the relevant paragraph read as follows:

"The Company will not provide coverage, provide sercvices, or pay claims for expenses incurred directly or indirectly as a result of:

2. Any medical condition or recognized complication of a condition, where the purpose of your trip is to seek medical treatment, advice or services, and where the medical evidence indicates the medical treatment, advice or services received are related to that condition."

So it would seem that you would still be covered if you were hit by a bus or had some other unrelated emergency. Please also note that the BC Medical Plan does not cover expenses related to non-emergency medical care received outside of the Province. It is also worth keeping in mind that any out-of-pocket medical expenses you might have to pay in France would likely be only about 25% of what you would pay in the US for the same service. Finally, you will be able to deduct the cost of the procedure and perhaps travel expenses as medical expenses on you income tax return.

Hans
April 23, 2013 12:03AM
Thank you
April 24, 2013 10:19PM
Ron,

As of yesterday, I am booked for an ablation in June at Bordeaux as well. I was concerned about the insurance issue too and I found a company in Canada that sells complication insurance for medical tourists. They're curently getting back to me with a quote.

Here is the link. I'll let you know what they tell me.

Monty
April 25, 2013 09:25AM
Hi Monty - there was no link attached. Are you going to be there the same time as me - June 3 - 6?
Ron
April 25, 2013 04:54PM
Hi Ron,

Let me know what the link is if you get it. Bordeaux map is in the mail.

Cheers,
Lou
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login