Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Ginger/GeorgeN/ Pancakes

Posted by DSENNET 
Ginger/GeorgeN/ Pancakes
February 11, 2013 03:15PM
I am curious to know if the ginger is still working for GeorgeN. and others. I make oatmeal pancakes almost every morning for breakfast. I make the batter in the blender and I always add a fairly large chunk of fresh ginger root. The blender totally breaks down the big chunk of the root into the batter. I would think this would be similar to ingesting fresh ginger tea. Unfortunately this isn't good timing for ingesting the ginger and I was thinking about adding the ginger powder in the evening. My husband is the afibber and has the very low heart rate. He is very athletic and seems to share many of George's characteristics. He had an ablation a few years ago and has had some breakthroughs and more commonly long runs of constant pac's. He also, like Barb, is a belcher. The belching has improved with changes to his diet but always returns when is having PAC's or a-fib. His doctor thinks the belching is caused by the a-fib and not the other way around as most here believe.

Debbie

Below is my recipe if anyone is interested. We love it!

In a blender put:
1 cup of old fashioned oatmeal
1 cup of eggwhites or enought eggs to equal 1 cup
1/2 cup of milk ( I use almond or coconut milk)
3 T of flax seeds
ginger root
1/2 cup of water (add more if the batter is too thick)
Seasoning ( use various things: orange peel , cinnamon, pumpkin pie spice, or cocoa)
I add our potassium glucinate powder to this mixture

Pour onto a griddle or skillet. Flip the pancakes when the top looks dry. We top them with fresh berries, walnuts, and a little honey or molasses. Enjoy!! (Makes two large servings)
Re: Ginger/GeorgeN/ Pancakes
February 11, 2013 05:05PM
Interesting recipe. Wish I could have oatmeal. Might have to try a version with my buckwheat.

You wrote: " His doctor thinks the belching is caused by the a-fib and not the other way around as most here believe." I have been a chicken/egg type person on this issue too. If I didn't get belching independent of afib I would agree with his doctor. But the belching is always much worse when accompanied by afib, So I am still left with does afib make it worse, or does the more intense kind bring on the afib? smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/11/2013 05:07PM by Neroli.B.
February 11, 2013 07:41PM
Debbie,

Yes the ginger is still working well for me.

I would suggest you look at Jackie's digestion posts and work on the belching. [www.afibbers.org]

George
Anonymous User
February 11, 2013 09:30PM
I think Buckwheat flour would make the pancakes taste better than oatmeal.

L
Anonymous User
February 12, 2013 04:26AM
This is a thread that ought to be in the afib cookbook, and now it is.
PeggyM
February 12, 2013 10:41AM
Debbie - I'm adding the following case report information to the GI Connection to AF post....

This could be worth consideration for your husband and is certainly easy enough to try... especially since the report indicates results happened quickly.

I would also test for Candida (yeast)... since that causes belching after meals starchy sugary carbs that feed the yeast are consumed.

Jackie

Low Carb Die Reverses GERD
For GERD improvement this useful tip might offer significant relief -- quickly and easily. A report published in Alternative Therapies (Nov/Dec 2001), noted that a low-carbohydrate diet provided GERD improvement and relief in a small case report of five examinations. “In these case reports, we describe the findings of 5 individuals who noted prompt and complete relief of heartburn and reflux symptoms after self-initiating a low-carbohydrate diet for weight loss.”

Symptoms noted were the typical sub-sternal burning, gas, burping, bloating and reflux into the throat after meals and discomfort when lying in bed, interrupted sleep and each had varying dietary influences which might also have been contributory such as coffee, chocolate, potato chips, pretzels, bread, fried foods, spicy foods, tomato sauces, peppermint oil, alcohol; one drank daily red wine but still found improvement.

Most, noted complete or highly significant improvement in just one day of restricting carbohydrates to 20 grams per day. In addition to restricting carbohydrates, limiting caffeine was suggested but not all gave up coffee. One continued to drink red wine and another cut back on alcohol but both had GERD symptom relief. Chocolate was eliminated or occasional.

A Google search reveals supporting evidence that the Low-Carb diet helps reverse or reduce GERD symptoms beyond this small observation.

Reference
Improvement of Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease After Initiation of A Low Carbohydrate diet: Five Brief Case Reports. [www.modernhcp.com]
February 12, 2013 11:18AM
Debbie,
I am still having excellent results from taking and eating ginger. It has dramatically relieved my acid reflux problems to the extent that I have been able to discontinue taking Prilosec. It has also eliminated the occasional missed beats that I had been experiencing recently. I take 2 capsules of ginger in the morning before breakfast and two again before dinner. I also keep some candied ginger root which I snack on during the day. Taking ginger has also allowed me to eat some foods that I have had to avoid in the past. This all seems to good to be true and probably won't work the same for everyone, but it is definitely worth a try.
February 13, 2013 11:24AM
Thanks for all the imput.

Debbie
February 22, 2013 12:42AM
Try eliminating the oatmeal and all other gluten/gliadin/wheat products. He could easily be intolerant to these foods. I wrote in a more recent post about my 85 year old father with afib. For years he belched and farted and had horrendous nights. I got him a food sensitivity test. It determined he was severly intolerant to oats, milk etc. He eliminated the offending foods and like magic his gut calmed down. Belching isn't normal. It is caused by something and with persistence you can figure it out.

PS - even though some oat products say "gluten free" they are still highly suspect.
February 24, 2013 11:18AM
Ron - that's excellent advice.... while oats don't grow containing gluten, they are often cross-contaminated in the equipment used for harvesting, trucking, processing, packaging.... and with gluten sensitivity, it only takes a few tiny molecules of the gluten/gliaden protein to cause a dramatic reaction in a sensitive individual. Even oats that are said to be packaged in gluten free facilities... and advertise such... were tested and found to contain gluten... according to the Gluten expert Dr. Tom O'Bryan who lectures across the country on the topic. Other people are gluten sensitive but don't have overt, physical symptoms and go on to have the inflammation and damage done behind the scenes... said to be smoldering, silent inflammation which manifests as other chronic ailments... severe arthritis- as one example.

Dairy is closely associated with a gluten/gliaden sensitivity because it is a cross-reactive food... there are 20 some such foods that also cause similar symptoms to gluten and dairy sensitivities.

This is the advantage of using the Paleo style eating plan because it eliminates all grains and dairy.

Jackie
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login