Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Need Helping Stopping Afib Episodes

Posted by Windstar 
Windstar
Need Helping Stopping Afib Episodes
January 05, 2013 04:55PM
I have been afib free for 7 months, but this morning I had another afib event from 6AM to 10:30AM. I tried to think of what others on this forum have said to do to stop or at least shorten the afib event, but it lasted 4 1/2 hrs., so I think I must have done things in the wrong order, the wrong amount, or not soon enough. I'd appreciate some feedback on what I did and how I can do better if there is a next time.

I am a mixed afibber and couldn't decide which side to lie on since it hasn't seemed to be a trigger in the past. I am currently taking 1500 mgs. of taurine, 600 mgs. of magnesium (200 of which is topical since oral mag doesn't seem to get into my cells, 10 grams of d-ribose, 500 mgs. of l-carnitine, 400 IU vitamin E, 5000 IU vitamin D, 100 mgs. ubiquinol, 1000 mgs of fish oil, and various other digestive enzymes, probiotics, etc. each day. I have reduced my Flecainide from 100 mgs. twice a day to 50 mgs. twice a day slowly over the last 50 days and have been at this level for the last 20 days.

Here is what happened. I noticed afib at 6:15 AM when got up from bed to go to the bathroom. Legs and arms were weak and heart was pounding and irregular. Took 100 mgs. of Flecainide, 2000 mgs. taurine (4 capsules), 5 grams d- ribose (1 heaping tsp.) and 540 mgs potassium powder (1 tsp) in 10 oz. of low-sodium vegetable juice at 6:20AM. Went back to bed and afib continued. Laid on left side for ½ hr. and then on right side for ½ hr. and saw no difference. Propped up pillow and laid on back for ½ hr. and saw no difference but stayed on back until I got up. At 8:30, irregular beat was less dominant. Got up at 9AM for breakfast and was able to stand briefly but was tired. Took another 1500 mgs. of taurine, 2 tsp. of d-ribose and another 10 oz. of veggie juice then. Had breakfast at 9:30AM. Irregular beat stopped by 10AM but HR was too fast so took 25 mgs. of Metoporol Tartrate. By 10:30 rate was 80 bpm but at 11AM 90 bpm. Not sure why it went up?? Now at 1:35PM, my HR is 64 bpm, which is normal for me.

I know much of what I did helped because in the past, my afib would last from 12-24 hrs. and I would sometimes faint if I tried to stand up. I'd have to stay lying on the couch or in bed for the entire event. My legs and arms would become so weak that I couldn't even raise my arms to wash my hair for a couple days after an event. But now I am able to stand, use my arms and legs, and go on with my life, though I am taking it easy.

Thanks much for your input and advice.
Re: Need Helping Stopping Afib Episodes
January 05, 2013 09:57PM
Don't know your history but whoooooa there Nelly! It is good that you recognize good nourishment is a key. Stay away from triggers? Paleo-like diet? NOTHING processed at all. If I eat anything processed it is a BIG treat. No flour of any kind. No dairy of any kind. I find my biggest trigger was low Potassium levels. I have two beer cups (16oz) of low sodium Mott's Garden Cocktail when I can get it. Otherwise I put two or three teaspoons of Potassium Gluconate into some Polar Seltzer Water where it fizzes and dissolves completely in 5 minutes. Nice and chilled and refreshing. And if I happen to be having skipped beats or other arrhythmia like symptoms it stops them dead in their tracks in under 30 minutes every time.

Having said all of that.... I am on TIKOSYN 500ucg. twice a day by mouth and it needs to be taken by the clock; 8 a.m. and 8 p.m. No sooner and no later. Working for me for a year thus far and the EP says he expects it will continue to work for a long time for me. At which point we will look at alternatives.

Don't know your history but I would sure get with a TOP RATED EP as soon as possible to get put on track. TIKOSYN is not for everyone and I am very grateful to have had a year of NSR.

Murray L

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tikosyn uptake Dec 2011 500ug b.i.d. NSR since!
Herein lies opinion, not professional advice, which all are well advised to seek.
January 06, 2013 10:58AM
Hi Nancy - just a thought... when you got up with the AF and took your 'protocol'..... I'd have added a small but balanced snack... protein, some carb and healthy fat. Very often, an event that comes while sleeping or as morning arrives can be caused by hypoglycemia.... it definitely was for me. When you take ribose, it can lower your blood glucose even farther so while ribose is very helpful overall, if you are already low or marginal in blood glucose, then taking it could be counterproductive without adding the snack with some carb, protein and fat.

I certainly hope this doesn't happen again, but if so, then consider that the newer recommendations for the PIP intervention is to take at least 200 mg Flec at the onset (some EPs say 300 mg).... along with the beta blocker right at the onset to help slow the HR so the antiarrhythmic can work.

You might think back to what you had at your evening meal that was different... or that would set you up for the hypoglycemic event later on. At least you've had excellent success thus far... so you know that controlling the beast is possible. It may be that you'll have to remain on a slightly higher dose of flecainide for a while longer... weaning off successfully can be a challenge.

Regards,
Jackie
January 06, 2013 12:59PM
You may wish to try this approach

So, when I next felt that dreaded feeling I quickly prepared a large glass of hot water, just hot enough to be able to swallow it without discomfort, and added a teaspoon of potassium gluconate plus a pouch of Emergen-C and swallowed the content of the whole glass as quickly as possible together with a 200 mg capsule of magnesium glycinate (Bluebonnet).

The effect was pretty well instantaneous. A couple of seconds after the hot water hit my stomach all was quiet and no afib episode ensued. I have now tried this three times and each time it has worked as advertised.

In view of the fact that the effect is instantaneous I am even beginning to wonder if the potassium, magnesium, and Emergen-C are really necessary as it is not plausible that their effect would be instantaneous. However, I am not that keen on trying just hot water by itself, but I’ll certainly let you know if and when I muster up the courage to do so.

In the meantime I would certainly be most interested in hearing about your experience if you decide to try this method of aborting afib episodes.

FROM New Year - Are we getting there? [www.afibbers.org]

Hans
Windstar
January 06, 2013 09:24PM
Thanks, everyone, for your welcomed advice.

Jackie, as far as what triggered this episode, I am baffled. My diet has been the same for many months now-- low sodium, no processed foods except for a rare piece of organic sprouted multi-grain toast and organic plain yogurt--but I suppose it could have been low blood sugar though I haven't been having a problem with that for a couple months now. The only new thing that I added was a supplement for colds called Allibiotic. My husband has a cold and I was starting to get it, so I started taking this the day before this event. That could have been the trigger, but I've taken it in the past with no problem, and I'm still taking it now. If I get another episode, that may be the clue. It contains elderberry, olive leaf extract, garlic, rosemary oil, and something called ImmunEnhancer.

If there is a next time, I'll be sure to eat protein with fat along with the veggie juice and I'll take 200 mgs. of Flecainide and the beta blocker right away.

Hans, I'm wondering if your hot water solution would work better for a vagal afibber than for me (a mixed afibber)? But I guess there is no harm in trying it, and if it doesn't work, I can take the other regime with 200 mgs. Flecainide, a beta blocker, etc.

Once again, thanks everyone for your help.

Nancy M.
Anonymous User
January 07, 2013 09:31AM
Nancy,

Being mixed puts you in the toughest catagory; people who are entirely vagal or adrengenic have an advantage of being able to address that component (an example is the number of vagal people getting benefit from ginger).

I was mixed also and like you, due to diet and supplementation I experienced some nice stretches where I was afib free. It always came back though, and you will not always be able to rationize the cause.

At some point, having a procedure becomes your best option; you have probably seen the posts regarding when you do know it is time for an ablation. You will know-

EB
January 07, 2013 09:55AM
Nancy - sounds like a plan. I was mostly vagal but did have some daytime events as well so technically, considered 'mixed'... I would also try Hans' hot water remedy...you may find it's perfect for you. Remember that with your chemical toxicities, it may be difficult to ever determine what drives a breakthrough. You've done a fantastic job of reversing the trend thus far.
Best to you,
Jackie
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login