Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

New EP and Beta Blocker

Posted by Larry Z 
Larry Z
New EP and Beta Blocker
October 24, 2012 09:20PM
I've just started with a new EP and so far I like him. He treats me like an equal and listens well. I spent 50 minutes with him during our first appointment. He's not big on anti-arryhtmic meds. He was up on the lastest CHADS ratings scale and says i'm good at this point with aspirin, but he may change his mind after he gets an echo done on me. He also wants to closely watch my leaky mitral valve.

He feels I could use Pradaxa as a pill in the pocket for stroke mitigration as long as the episodes are brief and rare.

He also suggested a newer beta blocker nebivolol for use. Nebivolol is very selective in only blovking cardiac tissue. He knows I'm vagal and suggests using it prior to stressfull situations to prevent massive vagal tone rebound after the stress is removed. Historically for me this is a real factor. I've had many episodes that started several hours after the stress was gone and the vagal tone rises up, I go back in a month for the echo.

Anyone have an opinion of the use of nebivolo in this manner?
Re: New EP and Beta Blocker
October 26, 2012 01:21PM
An important key to avoiding afib episodes is to have your autonomic nervous system (ANS) in balance. It seems to me that vagal rebound means that the parasympathetic (vagal) arm of the ANS becomes overly dominant. Thus to balance it you would need more sympathetic (adrenergic) influence and taking a beta-blocker would dampen the adrenergic influence. Anyway, I think bisoprolol may be a better choice as it is also cardiac-specific and has a considerably longer "history" than does nebivolol. In any case, please let us know what you decide and how it goes.

Hans
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login