Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Flecainide with food, &/or milk?

Posted by Alexandra 
Alexandra
Flecainide with food, &/or milk?
October 21, 2012 06:11AM
I have been told to take Flecainide twice daily on an empty stomach. This is awkward for me, as I do better on small amounts of food often and feel uncomfortable fasting. Checking on the Internet, some (rather old) research indicated that neither food nor antacids made any difference to Flec absorption. Milk affected absorption in children. I don't know if milk has been shown NOT to affect absorption in adults, or if that research has simply not been done. Everyone says it is important to take Flec at regular 12 hour intervals. Obviously this is easier if there are not also restrictions around food timing.

I'd like to know what other Flec users are doing about this. I can't judge by the success or failure of the treatment at present, as my AF is always intermittent and very irregular in its occurrence.
john
Re: Flecainide with food, &/or milk?
October 21, 2012 07:55AM
I have taken Flec for 12 years and haven't paid any attention to whether or not I take it on an empty stomach. I would think that taking it on an empty stomach should enhance absorption. I take the first dose in the morning before I eat and the second dose 12 hours later without regard to food.
October 21, 2012 01:53PM
When I started Flecainide, I checked the bottle and it didn't give any restrictions on when to take it, so I take it around 9am in the morning (a couple of hours after I've eaten breakfast) and 9pm at night (a couple of hours after having eaten dinner). I once saw a website somewhere that said that you had to take Flecainide with food, but the pharmacy didn't tell me I had to and didn't put that on my bottle, so I've decided to not worry about it.
Alexandra
October 22, 2012 03:23PM
Diane, my Flec packet says to take it on an empty stomach, but that's not totally confirmed by what I read on the internet. Because my life is not that regular, it is not possible both to take it at 12 hour intervals AND on an empty stomach. I suspect that the former is the more important, especially as your bottle mentioned NO restrictions. Life has been even more interesting lately as I have had to take various other pills concurrently, one of them 5 times daily and now another 3 times daily WITH food but WITHOUT milk!!! Maybe the complexity of it all will drive me to request an ablation!
October 23, 2012 06:22AM
Usually take it a couple of hours after eating. But have not been told to do so specifically.

Checked a couple of sites, and none state a manner to best administer the med orally.
October 23, 2012 02:16PM
My flec instructions say take with or without food.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login