Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

TIKOSYN Side Effects Experience PLEEEEZ

Posted by Murray L 
TIKOSYN Side Effects Experience PLEEEEZ
September 06, 2012 11:39AM
I am in my seventh month of TIKOSYN and it is working just as it should be. I have had zero side effects but for the last two or three weeks have awoken very early with mild nausea; HOWEVER, the nausea this morning was to the extent that it is debillitating and I have a thick and fuzzy head.

The pulse oximeter shows my pulse at 75 ish and regular. Quite regular. No other signs of aFib.

My question is simply this: Have any of you who have taken TIKOSYN in past or present experienced nausea (either mild or extreme) as a side effect? I am hoping this is not where I am going as I will reach a point where it is not longer a viable treatment and this would be a major disappointment.

So, anyone?

Murray L

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tikosyn uptake Dec 2011 500ug b.i.d. NSR since!
Herein lies opinion, not professional advice, which all are well advised to seek.
Cathy B
Re: TIKOSYN Side Effects Experience PLEEEEZ
September 06, 2012 12:26PM
Murray -

Sorry to hear this! I've been on Tikosyn (250 mg BID) for 3 1/2 months and haven't experienced any side effects. Unfortunately, it didn't control my afib either - I had my first breakthrough in 8 days and have had multiple since then. I wonder if your nausea may be due to something else? Let's hope you either figure it out or it goes away on its own shortly.

Cathy
September 06, 2012 12:51PM
Murray,

Unfortunately nausea is a recognized side effect of Tikosyn.

Hans
Mary
September 07, 2012 07:58AM
I've been on Tikosyn for 20 months and haven't experienced any noticeable side effects. However, I've had four previous break-throughs requiring cardioversions and am experiencing another one right now, arrythmis but not tachycardia. I have an appointment with my cardiologist on Sept. 21 and plan to ask him to put me back on Rythmol.
September 08, 2012 01:13PM
All good information and very much appreciated. Started December 2011 and no side effect up until a few weeks ago (assuming that this nausea is TIKOSYN related). The nausea generally manifests itself in the morning and is gone by late morning allowing me to get on with my life, but up until then I have a fuzzy head and mild / medium nausea. The TIKOSYN does appear to be working to keep me in NSR up to this point (7 months) and my left atrium has shrunk from 60mm down to 56mm. EP is hoping it will continue to shrink down to under 50mm. before it poops out. I am hoping the nausea is not a side effect of the TIKOSYN but fear it is.... and hoping I can bear up to it for another months and see if my LA will shrink down to 50mm or less.

Spoke to a doctor Tuesday evening at a lodge meeting and he was on Amiodarone... now on Rhythmol. Did not seem happy with it and has been on a myriad of medications. Did not ask why no ablation intervention.

Fingers crossed....

Murray L

Herein lies opinion, not professional advice, which all are well advised to seek.
September 09, 2012 02:23PM
Interestingly, this morning, presto...... NO NAUSEA. Am wondering now if the nausea has been perhaps stress related or linked to another factor that I am missing. Dad has been in hospital and now in nursing home for recovery; he is 92 and took a bad fall breaking his arm in three places and his cheekbone badly as well. We spend time with him daily to make sure he is in good spirits and eating properly, etc. The stress is huge, needless to say.

Fingers crossed that tomorrow we will see another morning without the nausea. The first months on TIKOSYN were totally without side effects. Then we started getting a fuzzy head in the mornings. Then the nausea crept in. Hoping that somehow my body is coping with the TIKOSYN better (?).

Will report back. It certainly does a good job of keeping me in NSR with the odd occasion of 'palpatations' that I find I can generally cure with some Potassium Gluconate in Seltzer Water (no sodium).

Murray L

Cynthia
September 11, 2012 06:02PM
Hi Murray,

Sorry to hear of your problems. After 7 months, I hope it is the stress and I am sure uneven meals, causing your nausea. I took 500mcg. BID of Tikosyn for almost two years without any problems what so ever. Just decided not to work after that time. Only medication I took that didn't give me side effects. Best wishes for continued success and hope your Dad is better.
Cynthia
September 12, 2012 05:50PM
Thanks Cynthia and everyone.....
I have had a few mornings where the nausea has not appeared and several where it is very, very mild. I am almost thinking that it is indeed the stress that we are presently under (not much to do about it I'm afraid). In any event, as long as TIKOSYN keeps working I am going to do everything in my power to stick with it and in NSR and let my left atrium continue to shrink (from 60mm to 56mm since December TIKOSYN startup.... my EP says it took longer than that to expand and don't expect it to return to normal size overnight). I'd just like to get my LA under 50mm and get in line for catheter ablation should it stop working and shrinking. We'll cross that bridge when we get to it. In the meantime, I have been asked to participate in a different research study called the CABANA study.

Murray L

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login