Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Personal best

Posted by Dennis 
Dennis
Personal best
September 06, 2012 12:58PM
Three months of nsr an all time high!
This for all those who read and don't post. I am doing better following the advise given on this bb. The details are important but generally I maximize mg, k, reduce salt, avoid stress mindful of insulin spikes, don't overdue exercise, extra cautious when Involved in activities that cause perfuse sweating, green shake for breakfast, make my own lunches and dinners, no alcohol. Low carb snacks. Etc. I cheat sometimes and get away with it but sometimes I don't get away with it. Above all I try to be honest with myself and when I cheat and get caught I don't blame, genetics, or the way some word or phrase that was used in giving the advice but blame myself and try to do it better next time. So far the stricter I am the better it works. Is avoiding surgery worth all that i do to stay in nsr? So far it is! I do get depressed when in af and if I could have surgery immediately I probably would. After a day or so I feel great again and remind myself that what I'm doing is somewhat inconvenient but, for me, not really a burden. One friend has had five ablations and rock solid nsr for the last year or two. He does not do any of the things I do. This week he confided to me that he is starting to get ectopics again. So do I want to go through what he went through and perhaps have to live my present lifestyle anyway. Right now the answer is no. I will take this as far as it will get me because it beats the alternative.Four years off daily meds using flec as pip very effectively. I feel great, I realize this might not work for everyone. But so far it is working for me and it might work for you if you are so inclined to give it a try.
How did I get to this place? Not on my own. Not with the help of my md's they insisted on ablating and medicating. It was this bb and the advise given over and over to newbies and those who pop in from time to time when they have a problem. Over time, 4 years now for me, I incorporated some of the advise kept what worked and discarded what didn't. So I don't think false hope is posted here but rather soild fundamental advise with occasional forward thinking information that for the most part is interesting and often too cutting edge for me. Four Years ago I had to explain to a cardiologist what pip was and now he offers it to his pt's. I got that info for here first.
Thank you all and especially you Jackie!
Re: Personal best
September 06, 2012 01:11PM
Hi Dennis,

What is pip?

Colin
Dennis
September 06, 2012 02:04PM
Pill in the pocket. An alternative to taking daily medication to control af. You can find it explained by experts hereif you use the search function above.
September 06, 2012 03:13PM
Dennis,

That's a great post. I can relate to everything you said. I had a somewhat successful ablation in Bordeaux in 2005, a follow up ablation last April 16 here in Vancouver, which the verdict is still out on. I too am following pretty much the same routine as you. I know for a fact the biggest trigger for me is alcohol, and avoid it for the most part. I find it hard not to enjoy a drink now and then, especially when everyone else is partaking. The problem is, you can only dodge the bullet for so long. I have been abstaining for quite some time now. I have had six relatively short breakthroughs since April, with most of them happening in the first three months. I will be at the five month mark post ablation in about one week.The last three weeks have been afib free, so I'm hoping I am still healing. There have been a couple of three or four second runs of really irregular beats over the last few days that end quickly and then I'm fine again.
I too am supplementing daily, really watch my sodium and sugar intake, and go to the gym every day.

Continued success to you Dennis.

Lou
September 06, 2012 04:03PM
Thanks Dennis, I did a search and got no results.
Dennis
September 06, 2012 04:11PM
Colindo, spell it out. Pill in pocket. I got two pages of references to it. Dennis
Dennis
September 06, 2012 04:17PM
Lou, thanks and best of luck to you. Dennis
September 06, 2012 04:49PM
Colin,

Try this [www.afibbers.org]

Hans
September 06, 2012 06:32PM
Hey Dennis! Woo hoo!

Your report makes my heart sing. I'm very pleased for your excellent progress.
You deserve all the credit for giving it a good, solid try. Your realistic approach is refreshing.
Time will tell, of course, but I'm betting that with your diligent attention, you'll remain very well controlled.

Thanks for posting your experience. It should offer a great incentive for others.

Please stay in touch.

Best to you,
Jackie
Shannon
September 06, 2012 08:47PM
Good Stuff Dennis!

It very much can work for many people, especially when undertaken before too much progression of fibrosis or too much remodeling, and provided one doesn't have too much of a challenge in absorbing and assimilating those vital heart calming minerals, regardless of intake method.

All the best for continued stable NSR!

Cheers!
Shannon
GeorgeN
September 07, 2012 01:37AM
I concur with Shannon.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login